Re: How many GMELINA or MAHOGANY tree can be planted in a 1 hectare farm?

How many GMELINA or MAHOGANY tree can be planted in a 1 hectare farm?

And what should be the spacing?

Is it the same as coconuts? Where you can plant around 100 trees for a hectare farm lot with 10m x 10m spacing?

2 (edited by armandpsia Jun 17 2009 14:19:57)

Mahogany just needs around 2.5 sq.m. of space.  If you pack them in 1 hectare (10,000 sq.m.), that will be around 4,000 Mahogany trees.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7237/0904farm2003.jpg

4000 that is too much, may i know what is the distance between each of them?

My friend told me that you can plant mahogany in 1.5meters distance in all sides.

Nothing is impossible if you are exerting efforts to become successful.
Dream big to achieve Great things

4 (edited by papito Jun 18 2009 12:33:49)

nathan_benchmark wrote:

4000 that is too much, may i know what is the distance between each of them?

My friend told me that you can plant mahogany in 1.5meters distance in all sides.

Add:

Swietenia mahogani.  Mahogany grows to an average of

30-40ft./9.1-12.2 meters high

2 ft./0.6 meter trunk;

20-30ft./6.1-9.1 meters canopy.

Even with 1.5 meters distance all around, the trees will overlap because  the canopy is between  6.1 meters and 9.1 meters.

Imagine 4 people standing shoulder to shoulder in a square pattern with their umbrellas closed. Now when each person open their umbrella, and stay in the same place, the canopies of their umbrellas will overlap each other.

So, I think even 4000 trees may be too crowded in a hectare farm.  A crowded mahogany farm will restrict air circulation.

"Let justice roll down like waters
and righteousness like an everlasting stream".
Amos

5 (edited by armandpsia Jun 18 2009 15:01:01)

4000 is what I have in my farm +/- 10% with approximately 1 hectare of farm land.  The spacing is about 1.5 meters in all sides.  This is one way to have a straight trunk.  Unless you need the shade of the trees, the canopy has to be trimmed to avoid branches.   Look at the pic how it looks like ...

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/8569/0904farm1001w.jpg

6 (edited by papito Jun 19 2009 00:51:45)

armandpsia wrote:

4000 is what I have in my farm +/- 10% with approximately 1 hectare of farm land.  The spacing is about 1.5 meters in all sides.  This is one way to have a straight trunk.  Unless you need the shade of the trees, the canopy has to be trimmed to avoid branches.   Look at the pic how it looks like ...

My mistake.  The info I provided was for the Mahogany tree [Swietenia mahogani].

If your trees are of the Philippine Mahogany specie, then they are probably Shorea or Toona calantas.  Or, any one of the following:
"seven non-mahogany Philippine woods Tanguile, Red Lauan, White Lauan, Tiaong, Almon, Mayapis, and Bagtikan, the term ‘‘mahogany’’ may be used but only when prefixed by the word ‘‘Philippine.’’ "

For some of these trees, I read that the planting distance of 1.5 meters between trees is often mentioned.

(From Wikipedia) In the US, Philippine mahogany, aka lauan, is the common name for a wood yielded by some species of the genus Shorea, or perhaps more accurately the name for a group of woods. These are medium density woods, with rather favorable properties, but they are not a mahogany, nor are they comparable in quality. It is not necessarily imported from the Philippines, nor is it limited to species which occur in the Philippines.

The US name of lauan is derived from a Philippine name, which refers to dipterocarp timbers in general. The import into the US is properly known as "red lauan", but the adjective tends to be dropped. The name lauan is sometimes also used for plywood, although strictly speaking this tends to consist of a mixture of woods of any species from the same general area. Such plywood is more properly known as Mixed Hardwood Ply.

(Also from Wikipedia)
Per Federal Trade Commission

§ 250.3 Identity of woods.

* Mahogany.

1. The unqualified term mahogany should not be used to describe wood other than genuine solid mahogany (genus Swietenia of the Meliaceae family). The woods of genus Swietenia may be described by the term ‘‘mahogany’’ with or without a prefix designating the country or region of its origin, such as ‘‘Honduras mahogany’’, ‘‘Costa Rican mahogany’’, ‘‘Brazilian mahogany’’ or ‘‘Mexican mahogany’’.
   2. The term ‘‘mahogany’’ may be used to describe solid wood of the genus Khaya of the Meliaceae family, but only when prefixed by the word ‘‘African’’ (e.g., ‘‘African mahogany desk’’).
   3. In naming or designating the seven non-mahogany Philippine woods Tanguile, Red Lauan, White Lauan, Tiaong, Almon, Mayapis, and Bagtikan, the term ‘‘mahogany’’ may be used but only when prefixed by the word ‘‘Philippine’’ (e.g., ‘‘Philippine mahogany table’’), due to the long standing usage of that term. Examples of improper use of the term ‘‘mahogany’’ include reference to Red Lauan as ‘‘Lauan mahogany’’ or to White Lauan as ‘‘Blond Lauan mahogany’’. Such woods, however, may be described as ‘‘Red Lauan’’ or ‘‘Lauan’’ or ‘‘White Lauan’’, respectively. The term ‘‘Philippine mahogany’’ will be accepted as a name or designation of the seven woods named above. Such term shall not be applied to any other wood, whether or not grown on the Philippine Islands.
   4. The term ‘‘mahogany’’, with or without qualifications, should not be used to describe any other wood except as provided above. This applies also to any of the woods belonging to the Meliaceae family, other than genera Swietenia and Khaya.

"Let justice roll down like waters
and righteousness like an everlasting stream".
Amos

nice photo beautiful trees.

armandpsia wrote:

Nothing is impossible if you are exerting efforts to become successful.
Dream big to achieve Great things

Armandpsia
Do you have plans to do some thinning on your seven year old mahogany, now or in the near future?

armandpsia wrote:

sir can u see the difference? uneven growth.. straight trunk is not an issue..

pigzilla101@yahoo.com

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by uneven growth.  Is it the diameter or the height?  Among the tree farms that I've seen and visited, it will really be like that.  Some gets bigger than the rest.  Others are left behind in terms of growth.  A lot of factor will have an effect on it - placement, soil nourishment, etc.  Nevertheless, if you have a scarce resource such as land, I think this is the best you can do.  Otherwise, you can spread the seedlings as wide as you wanted it to be.

yes, its the diameter and the height.. panu kau mag harvest kng ang katabing puno maliit pa? antayin pa ba lumaki un?

pigzilla101@yahoo.com

You will have to accept the fact that some trees will need to be sacrificed.  You have to eventually cut the small trees down to give way to bigger trees around it.

This is what they call thinning. Some tree plantations in Costa Rica, recovers their initial cost in their first thinning. I wish if ever you go thinning to please inform us of the growth of the healthy and bigger trees left behind.

gaun na rin un kng itanim tlga sa wastong space gap nito wla ka ng e sacrifice.

pigzilla101@yahoo.com

I think I mentioned this before.  If you have enough space, you can plant in whatever spacing you desire.  But again, this does not guarantee that your tree will all be of the same size.  There are a lot of factors to consider as well.  And as what pinoywaray has mentioned, you still have to go thinning.

armandpsia,

got ur point sir.. cguro to maximize d area.. pwde pa taniman ng vegies sa ilalim ng kahoy.. inter cropping ba twag dun..

pigzilla101@yahoo.com

pigzilla wrote:

armandpsia,

got ur point sir.. cguro to maximize d area.. pwde pa taniman ng vegies sa ilalim ng kahoy.. inter cropping ba twag dun..

Pwede po pag young pa mga trees.  Eventually, the trees will shade the area and lowly plants will not survive that much without sunlight.

Wow, sir Armand, ang ganda na ng mga trees mo, parang kaylan mga maliliit pa yon.

Congrats!

-Ester

pag nagthin ng mga trees, magkano ang presyo?
ginagawa bang uling and mga iba?

malakas ba ang demand sa uling pang ihawihaw?

mga maliliit ng branches ay pwedent pang gatong. kahit na yung sin laki lang ng daliri.

Dear to all

Ano ba ang karaniwang problema ng mahogany trees?
As mentioned by Pedling earlier that there will some mahogany trees will grow more trunks and others will grow straightly luckily,because of moths on its larvae on lying eggs.
Pakilinaw lang po kung paano ito maiiwasan at paano papatubuin ito ng straight ng walang more than branches ang mahogany trees even it is more than 10 years old?
On my on way i will cut the extra branches and left the straight one in their young ones.
Does Pesticides is also acceptable on mahogany trees for killing moth?
The best spacing?For me Mang Pedling said 2m by 2m is alright for all kinds of hardwood trees.
The thinning proces is the method of cutting the tree because of its undergrowth.And dont need to replace it just only to give freedom to other trees to grow bigger.
Their roots po Baka maapektuhan nito ang spacing ng 2 trees results to their undergrowth.In other words magkumpol-kumpol at stack up each other because of the  competition for soil nutrients and water,I needed only the best spacing for controlling undergrowth and roots overcrowded to avoid these things.

Concern User,

Planters009

Hi,
     How much diameter(in cm) will Mahogany attain within 25 years?

dekturrr wrote:

Is it the same as coconuts? Where you can plant around 100 trees for a hectare farm lot with 10m x 10m spacing?

Based on ERDB publication (RISE Vol.14 No.3) 1,667 trees of mahogany or gmelina can be planted in a 1-ha farm with 2x3 spacing. You can just divide 10,000sq.m. by the spacing to get the required no. of trees.

thesarath wrote:

Hi,
     How much diameter(in cm) will Mahogany attain within 25 years?

Sorry but we don’t have existing table for growth rate per species. But based on the study conducted in Caraga region, it took 25 years to reach diameter size of 40cm of mahogany depending on the topographic and climatic condition of the area as well as the quality of planting materials used. Plantation management should also be considered here.

dekturrr wrote:

Based on more than 30 years of experience, both gmelina and mahogany has better result if you plant them at least 3 meters apart... full details here..
http://www.okd2.com/gmelina-mahogany-better/

It is remarkable, this amusing message