81 (edited by mahogany philippines Mar 04 2013 08:16:13)

Re: Mahogany Seedlings by the Thousands

Again, for the information of "forumers" in this Message Board, the formula for the calculation of the number of board feet for "live" (i.e., standing and yet uncut) mahogany trees can be found somewhere in our Facebook Account.

Just type "mahogany world facebook" in your Yahoo browser, or simply type the link below to visit and like us on Facebook:

Click the link below and like us on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lucena-Ci … 40?sk=wall

i went to denr office today to get a cutting permit for the mahogany trees and acacia mangium trees i planted in my mango farm located at macalamcam rosario batangas last 1999. they gave me a memorandum dated feb 5 2013 stated the cutting of planted trees within private lands shall be allowed subject to the clearance to be isuued by the concerned r.e.d. provided further that the cutting activity is in accordance with its pertinent plans that is duly approved by the Office of the Undersecretary of Field Operations. they advised me the ratio is 1 is to 50. i need to replant 50 seedlings for every 1 tree that will be cut.
can you give me a good price for 30,000 mahogany seedlings including delivery at macalamcam rosario batangas? thank you very much!

Chino, I will appreciate your inputs on this, as you obviously have the more extensive experience in terms of "age" or our respective plantations. We started our forest plantation in 2009 and, right away, it had to be registered with the DENR (which issued us a title for the whole plantation), obviously, so we could log it in the future. With this, our forest would fall under the category "private forest plantation" as opposed to "natural forest" of which logging is banned. Maybe 1999 was a different time, hah? But now  that I learned this from you, I still have to ask for more information from the authorities. There's no harm in doing that. Thanks, really.

84 (edited by mahogany philippines Mar 13 2014 21:32:51)

See NEW PHOTOS showing how our mahogany plantation evolved from 2009 to 2013 in two albums, "Spot the Difference 2013" and "March 2013 Photos"

Just type "mahogany world facebook" in your Yahoo browser, or simply type the link below to visit and like us on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lucena-Ci … 40?sk=wall

hello mahogany philippines,
i'm an ofw and is planning to align my investments in tree farming and found your open discussions as motivating and informative.

first, i'm currently studying and researching whether to buy a farm land in the range of 24 to 50 hectares of rolling type and quite really barren in the northern luzon. my vision is bio-diversities of agroforestry and one i'd like to have is mahogany...

i have 2 questions:
1. typically in a rolling lot or hilly with flats, normally mga grass lang ung tumutubo but very few ang trees...is this related to soil quality or it is just because no one is farming the place?
2. ano ung optimal quality nung soil for best mahogany plantation? thanks.

86 (edited by mahogany philippines Mar 13 2014 22:21:41)

Dear treeshadow:

Sorry, we've been away for so long. Again, Mahogany World (formerly Mahogany Philippines) is not an authority on these. We suggest you ask the Forest Management Bureau for more authoritative, responsive and official responses. But let me guess bass based on our experience:

Answer to Q1: No one is farming the place, in most cases.

Answer to Q2: Mahogany is not very sensitive vis-a-vis soil quality, in general. But then, again, it is best to bring samples of soil in your property to the Bureau of Soils and have them tested. You'll know, then, what species are best for your land and whether Mahogany is advisable.

We have more than 16,000 trees as of now.

hi there, could you give us some advice regarding growing mahogany trees please ? we have land in northern Mindanao and we are planning on planting felucca and mahogany trees on our 3 hectares of land, our concern is the planting of the seedlings, how far apart should we plant trees, i have been told 4 meters are the required length apart the trees should be planted but my husband has experience in planting pine trees in new zealand and he wants to plant 2 meters apart this sounds ok meaning that the trees are closer together   and more production per hectare, plus less trimming of trees after a few years, our thoughts are if we plant 2 meters apart then less work clearing under growth and after 7 years we can harvest the first crop cutting out every 2nd tree there by letting the remaining trees fill outand develope, what are your thoughts about our plans, please advise us, thank you

kangaroobarnanning wrote:

hi there, could you give us some advice regarding growing mahogany trees please ? we have land in northern Mindanao and we are planning on planting felucca and mahogany trees on our 3 hectares of land, our concern is the planting of the seedlings, how far apart should we plant trees, i have been told 4 meters are the required length apart the trees should be planted but my husband has experience in planting pine trees in new zealand and he wants to plant 2 meters apart this sounds ok meaning that the trees are closer together   and more production per hectare, plus less trimming of trees after a few years, our thoughts are if we plant 2 meters apart then less work clearing under growth and after 7 years we can harvest the first crop cutting out every 2nd tree there by letting the remaining trees fill outand develope, what are your thoughts about our plans, please advise us, thank you

Good day!

This refers to your inquiry on growing mahogany trees. If the plantation is intended for timber production, the recommended spacing 2x2 or 3x3. Based on completed studies, progressive thinning is advised and should be done later until the desired spacing is adopted. Spacing must be close to produce an immediate cover if planting is for productive purposes.

However, please be informed that straight bole but with smaller diameter will be produced for close spacing. Thus, regular thinning should be done.

I will send you thru email some materials on mahogany and plantation establishment for your reference.

Thank you

Daisy

Good day, sir! Are Mahogany seeds still viable 3 weeks after they were harvested?

thank you Daisy for your replying to me, cheers

dcabral wrote:
kangaroobarnanning wrote:

Good day!

This refers to your inquiry on growing mahogany trees. If the plantation is intended for timber production, the recommended spacing 2x2 or 3x3. Based on completed studies, progressive thinning is advised and should be done later until the desired spacing is adopted. Spacing must be close to produce an immediate cover if planting is for productive purposes.

However, please be informed that straight bole but with smaller diameter will be produced for close spacing. Thus, regular thinning should be done.

I will send you thru email some materials on mahogany and plantation establishment for your reference.

Thank you

Daisy

TheEarthboundDeity wrote:

Good day, sir! Are Mahogany seeds still viable 3 weeks after they were harvested?

Sir/Madam:

Based on completed studies, mahogany seed only remain viable for a single rainy season and show a rapid drop in viability when stored in ambient conditions. For best germination results, it is recommended that seed be sown within a month or two of collection or stored at 10-15⁰C in sealed polyethylene bags.

Please be reminded that viability and germination rates also depend on the quality of seeds collected.

FYI

Daisy

We are looking for a mahogany buyer. Plantation is 20 hectares, located in Isabel-Cagayan Valley. Inventory before is 40,000 or an estimated 3-5million board feet. If anyone is interested, please email me at rdupilas@yahoo.com or call me at my mobile number +639982699448.

dcabral wrote:
TheEarthboundDeity wrote:

Sir/Madam:

Based on completed studies, mahogany seed only remain viable for a single rainy season and show a rapid drop in viability when stored in ambient conditions. For best germination results, it is recommended that seed be sown within a month or two of collection or stored at 10-15⁰C in sealed polyethylene bags.

Please be reminded that viability and germination rates also depend on the quality of seeds collected.

FYI

Daisy

True, Earth Bound. In our long experience (no, only five years, maybe), mahogany seeds were very sensitive. Would recommend what Ms Daisy told you. In addition, take other extra care as can be done. We even used to aerate the seeds in layers to ensure that they were kept dry. But one important thing we realized was - when you buy seeds from a second party, you really wouldn't know how old the seeds are, right? so it is best to go buy seeds personally from the source, and see for yourself that the seeds are very nearly fresh from the trees.

We are thinning our private mahogany forest plantation in or around the middle of this year. About 2,000 eight (8)-inch mahogany trees which are around 20+ feet height to the first branch may be available for sale. More specific details will be posted in our Facebook page before the end of the First Quarter 2018. Visit our page. Just enter "mahogany world facebook" on your browser or simply copy-paste the following link:

www.facebook.com/Mahogany-World-167982906592540/

Please note that the latest photo-shoot of our plantation, on that page, is about three to four years ago.