Re: bamboo planting materials/plantlets ready for field planting

Hi! mam Nimfa kmusta na po?, i hope you could still remember me, the one who is conducting a study about bamboo shoot marketing? i just want to know if you could refer me some people who are in bamboo shoot business here in region 4 or anywhere in luzon. I'm in search of bamboo shoot producers po kasi para ma-interview ko po sila..i've read the messages of mis geneb tngin ko close na kayo, heheh...and i think she has a bamboo shoot business, pwede ko po kayang malaman kung taga-saan siya or anyway para ma-contact? baka pwede sya ma interview..tska po kung may kilala po kayo na nasa bamboo shoot business, baka pwede ko malaman kung saan location nila...i believe na mayroon mga tao na nasa bamboo shoot business talaga and nde lang backyard na sa gubat lng nkakakuha kapag rainy season...respondents nlang po ang kulang ko kasi, two producers plang ang nkikilala ko sa san pablo pero feeling ko marami pa sila..sana po matulungan nyo ulit ako, salamat po ng marami..

Dear Moderators,

I'm new here and need to send a message to "geneb"...so please allow me to post this off-topic reply.

Thanking you.

geneb wrote:

<snip>

I used to teach flying in the PAF Flying School for a time and then moved on to commercial flying, first with PAL and currently outside the country, after I resigned my commission in the AFP...

...I engage myself in actual and "virtual" farming as an overall interest in everything that grows. I also try to help people who want to engage in farming but do not have the education or training as part of that very satisfying avocation called farming. I keep abreast of new and innovative way of farming (and of doing things as a whole) that's why you will find me here in this forum. For me interacting is both a learning and sharing experience.

Gene

Geneb,

G'Day sir.

I'm an ex-Airforce and have been living in Australia for 17 years now and I have  personal questions to ask you, sir. Please send me your email address to quadmizumo@iprimus.com.au.

Also, I am seriously looking to invest back in the Philippine primarily in the area of agri-business, maybe you can share me your expertise sir.

Finally, thanks to PCARRD for this valuable and insightful forum.

quad

Boy Gene, you are a very busy person. But that can do  nothing with your monumental enthusiasm of Bamboo and bamboo business in the Philippines.

I am looking into big bamboo production. True, we have resources and potential but our neighboring countries surpasses us such as rice production, fruit production, and now bamboo production. I start few hectares now in Palawan. Once I get a good foothold, I will go for big time production. I may need your advice and Dr. Nimfa too. I am now in New Jersey but work is underway now. Hectares for bamboo farm, group of workers for land clearing, and people to coordinate with DENR.

I am making a feasibility study. First for Bamboo pole for local market. Then Veneer and bamboo wood flooring. Of course, bamboo shoot- this is needed to control the growth of bamboo to maintain clump quality, then ornamentals for export ( Dr. Nimfa is ornamental bamboo plant also under the ban for bamboo exports?)

Let's keep the Philippine progress moving

Gerry Balacuit

geneb wrote:

Hi Nimfa,

Good to be back.

Well, I can think of a host of reasons, and two easily stand out prominently. I might be wrong but surely it could be food for thought.

First, a bureaucratic one. By relegating bamboo early on as a "minor" forest product along with rattan, it's importance also was relegated to the backburner of our economic activities. This may not be the intention of the people who did the characterization or the "labeling", if you like. But, the labeling as I call it did an unforeseen negative connotation albeit unintentional (if it was unintentional). To be fair, for sure bamboo is secondary to wood resources when we still have plenty of forest. However, if the people who did the categorizing did not label it as such or otherwise label bamboo as an important non-wood resource instead, which is more approximating of the bamboo, we will not have the problems you are encountering now. But the damage has been done and it would take an effort to undo it as it stands now.

Sometimes perception matters as it did in this one. How can one sell a product if it is labeled "minor"? From the onset, the product is doomed.

Second, bamboo is so ubiquitous or so ordinary that we don't see or fail to see its many virtues. Yes, bamboo is so steeped in our culture and history (and that of Asia as a whole). Talk about "Si Malakas at Si Maganda" and bamboo always comes to mind. Or "Lawiswis ng Kawayan" and the mere thought will transport us to an idyll setting in a farm. Walk a few steps in rural areas and you will be met by the graceful swaying of clumps of bamboos. Bamboo is always there. It is everywhere.

In my youth as I remeber now, we always play with toys fashioned out of bamboo. Kites, in the summertime or "sumpit" as a water gun and "sumpak" as a more powerful version of the toy spewing seeds of duhat (after eating the sweet and sour flesh, of course) during our makeshift wargames.

So, why talk about bamboo? Or why introduce people to bamboo when it is always there? This seeming ubiquitousness contributes much to bamboo's misunderstanding and neglect.

My take on how we will be able to inform (or redirect attention) especially the farmers about the results of the R&D's your institution have done is to remove the "minor" label and categorize its importance as that of wood or wood products. And then let's see what it will do.

Another as a counterbalance to its "ubiquitousness" is for more agressive educational campaign. How to do it? Well, you can start by establishing bambuseta in strategic locations around the country. This may sound expensive but there are many lending institutions local and foreign giving soft loans in furthering livelihood and environment protection; NGO's that may provide assistance; wealthy individuals or corporations given convincing explanation and feasibility of the project, may take up the cause- and the cost of establishing one.

There is only one bambusetum in the Philippines located in Baguio City. There ought to be more. Bambusetum offers a first hand and very personal appreciation of the bamboo in a planned environment. With many species and varieties in one set up, one can marvel at bamboo's beauty as explained in a natural setting. You can smell it. You can hear it squeaking (to some it is music). And most of all it is fun especially with children who are the more impressionable.

On extension. It should be targeted. What do I mean by that? Select influential personalities, "natural" leaders in the communities (not necessarily the elected ones, but do not exclude them) who can be persuaded to promote bamboo information drive in their respective community. Or the NGO's themselves could be a link to the promotion of bamboo as a sustainable source of livelihood. Empower people to take a handle on the affairs of their community and it will give a lasting impression and appreciation as well.

Also, encourage those people already in the bamboo trade or business to promote bamboo in their respective area of business (plantations, manufacturing, furniture-making, and others) by opening their plantations or firms to guided educational tours, if not for free, for a minimum fee to offset cost of the tour. It could also be a source of additional income to them if a proper tour fee is required and agreed upon.

Extension workers should also be conscious of the vital role they
play in promoting bamboo as an important economic resource. They may receive low pay in doing so, as is also true of many government employees, but they should not dispense poor dissemination of knowledge just because of poor pay. They must do their job as required of them. Otherwise, they should look for another job to let more conscientious extension workers to take their place and do the extension work properly.

As for me, I am not into bamboo business (as in profit)... not yet, not at the moment. Call me a bamboo enthusiast or a hobbyist, if you will. And there is an interesting story behind it (if not corny, anyway). I have earmarked a 5 hectare property for a bamboo farm both for pole and shoot production, that's why my very first post is a query on sources of bamboo planting materials. I will expand as I see fit. I am intending also to set up a small bambusetum which I will open to some public tours in the future. To that end I am collecting different species and has already planted some.

I have a degree in Agriculture, with other "extra" degrees in Electronics and Business. A few units of MBA which unfortunately I did not finish due to more pressing concerns. I used to teach flying in the PAF Flying School for a time and then moved on to commercial flying, first with PAL and currently outside the country, after I resigned my commission in the AFP. I engage myself in actual and "virtual" farming as an overall interest in everything that grows. I also try to help people who want to engage in farming but do not have the education or training as part of that very satisfying avocation called farming. I keep abreast of new and innovative way of farming (and of doing things as a whole) that's why you will find me here in this forum. For me interacting is both a learning and sharing experience.

I hope this lengthy missive may satisfy some of the "missing link" you find frustrating in your job. I hope too that it did not "muddle" it some more.

How about you, if you don't mind? Are you with FPRDI? Just curious...

More power and best regards,
Gene

Hi,

Which bamboo variety is the one you can use for construction materials and bamboo shoot production?

thank you!

Hi Chaiaket,

The following bamboo species are commonly used for construction :

Kauayan tinik (Bambusa blumeana)
Kawayan kiling (Bambusa vulgaris)
Bayog (Bambusa sp. 1 ; formerly Dendrocalamus merrilianus)
Buho (Schizostachyum lumampao)
Bolo (Gigantochloa levis)
Giant bamboo (Dendrocalamus asper)
Guadua angustifolia (Iron bamboo)

For bamboo shoot production:

Kauayan tinik (bambusa blumeana)
Botong/Machiku ( Dendrocalamus latiflorus)
Kayali (Gigantochloa atter)

chaiaket wrote:

Hi,

Which bamboo variety is the one you can use for construction materials and bamboo shoot production?

thank you!

I've been reading that bamboo is now called "green gold" and this got me interested in establishing a bamboo plantation in some mountain lots I have in Famy, Laguna... the problem really is getting the adequate number of planting materials in my area.

Ms. Nimfa, is it ok to intercrop coconut (tall variety) with bamboo.   What I plan to do is to plant bamboo at a distance of 8m x 8m, then plant coconut at the middle, which will also have a distance of 8m x 8m.

Thank you.

Hi LeroyBrown,

If you have difficulty in bringing the planting materials in your area (since it is mountainous?!) , you can always establish a nursery near your lot  and  propagate and rear your own  bamboo propagules for planting later on. For sure there are a number of bamboo clumps within the vicinity where you can get the 1-2 year old culms for bamboo propagation.

Yes, I think it's ok to plant bamboo where coconuts are planted too. You can always grow the bamboo within the periphery of your lot. It could also serve as windbreaks for other plants that you may want to plant within the area.  The recommended planting distance for kawayan tinik species is 7 X 7 m, but i dont see any problem if you will have an 8m X 8 m distance between plants . This will even give more space for more bamboo shoot production......

If you will have problem sourcing for planting materials, I could direct you to some nurseries who may be willing to produce planting materials (at a cost) for you....

LeroyBrown wrote:

I've been reading that bamboo is now called "green gold" and this got me interested in establishing a bamboo plantation in some mountain lots I have in Famy, Laguna... the problem really is getting the adequate number of planting materials in my area.

Ms. Nimfa, is it ok to intercrop coconut (tall variety) with bamboo.   What I plan to do is to plant bamboo at a distance of 8m x 8m, then plant coconut at the middle, which will also have a distance of 8m x 8m.

Thank you.

48 (edited by planters009 Jun 17 2011 19:40:42)

Dear Moderators

I'm just only new to these activities regarding about exporting and benefiting from the bamboo's.Please answer some of my questions?

Can you tell me,How many years to count before you could harvest your bamboo trees?
What will be its part in leading production to its planter?
What are the types of available bamboo trees here in philippines to be most recommend planted?
How much extra income can feedback it you?
Where can you get your buyer?
The marketing expertise?on selling it?

Thanks again,

Planters009
:)

Hi Planters 009,

Q: Can you tell me,How many years to count before you could harvest your bamboo trees?

A: At least 5 to 6 years (and thereafter, you could harvest yearly)

Q: What will be its part in leading production to its planter?

A: culm/branch  cuttings from 1-2 year old culms (bamboo stem and or bigger branches) may be used to propagate most bamboo species. You can also uproot the whole bamboo clump (group of bamboo) and separate the plant (by dividing the rhizome (root system). Separated plants could serve as your 'starter" plant.

Q: What are the types of available bamboo trees here in philippines to be most recommend planted?

A: The following bamboo species are recomended and are available in the Philippines:

Kawayan tinik (Bambusa blumeana)
    Bayog (Bambusa sp.)
    Laak (Bambusa sp. 2)
    Giant bamboo (Bambusa asper)
    Anos (Schizostachyum lima)
    Pole bamboo/Thailand bamboo (Thyrsostachys siamensis)

Q. How much extra income can feedback it you?

A : For kawayan tinik that would be grown for poles and shoot in a marginal site(grassland/openland) (as computed), a 1-ha, 275-seedling bamboo plantation would require an initial capital of P92,254. Income is realized on the first year of harvest (year 5) while the total initial capital is fully recovered the following year (year 6).

Q; Where can you get your buyer?

You have to work for this. Potential buyers are furniture and handicraft makers; bahay kubo makers, bamboo enthusiasts; people in the fishing industry,; construction industry etc.

planters009 wrote:

Dear Moderators

I'm just only new to these activities regarding about exporting and benefiting from the bamboo's.Please answer some of my questions?

Can you tell me,How many years to count before you could harvest your bamboo trees?
What will be its part in leading production to its planter?
What are the types of available bamboo trees here in philippines to be most recommend planted?
How much extra income can feedback it you?
Where can you get your buyer?
The marketing expertise?on selling it?

Thanks again,

Planters009

''This kind business it too quiet and not popularly known''

Hi Planters 009,

Most of these species are available in Luzon (Ilocos, Batangas, Los Banos, Baguio, Pampanga). But these places are very far from  Leyte........

Some of the bamboo species I mentioned maybe available for sale in Iloilo. Pls get in touch first with Mr. Conrado Marquez or Mr. Neil Gigare of the DENR-ERDS Region 6.

You can also try the Visayas State University (thru President Jose Bacusmo). I believe, they have started establishing a bambusetum (a bamboo collection cum nursery). They may be able to direct you to a bamboo nursery in Leyte. Pls try to get in touch too with the DENR-ERDS Region 8.

Gene,

I'll be coming to the Philippines end of May. Do you have exotic and ornamental bamboos such as black bamboo, yellow bamboo, red bamboo, and blue bamboo? If you have I would like to buy seedlings from you, I will plant them in Palawan as mother  trees. If you do not have I appreciate suggestion on where to buy them before I fly to Puerto Princesa from Manila.

Thank you,

Gerry

geneb wrote:

...and yes, you can publish it in the Bamboo Net...

_____
Gene

nimfa wrote:

Hi Planters 009,

Most of these species are available in Luzon (Ilocos, Batangas, Los Banos, Baguio, Pampanga). But these places are very far from  Leyte........

Some of the bamboo species I mentioned maybe available for sale in Iloilo. Pls get in touch first with Mr. Conrado Marquez or Mr. Neil Gigare of the DENR-ERDS Region 6.

You can also try the Visayas State University (thru President Jose Bacusmo). I believe, they have started establishing a bambusetum (a bamboo collection cum nursery). They may be able to direct you to a bamboo nursery in Leyte. Pls try to get in touch too with the DENR-ERDS Region 8.

Thanks maam nimfa for this info

Find out more about the Best Generic Pharmacies by going through our Online Pharmacy Reviews. Bestpharmguide.com reviews of online pharmacies will surely help you decide where to buy your online meds,

53 (edited by davidpeter20377 Jun 19 2010 00:42:12)

do you plan to ship bamboo abroad, if so we could help you find, uk shipping companies , who will be able to provide you the best shipping rates

Which species would grow well in our are ain Bantayan, Cebu?
We are a coral rock island with not so much top soil.
I plan to plant for pole production to be used in scaffolding and shoot production.
If i am not mistaken there are bamboos locally called Tinik.

Kauayan tinik (Bambusa blumeana)
Bayog (Bambusa sp. 1 ; formerly Dendrocalamus merrilianus)
Guadua angustifolia (Iron bamboo)
Botong/Machiku ( Dendrocalamus latiflorus)
Kayali (Gigantochloa atter)

Thanks

Paul T. Holaysan
Suntory Farm Inc.
Sta. Fe, Bantayan Island, Cebu

also where can i source them in Visayas?
If there are non is it possible to order from lozun or mindanao and ship it here?

Paul T. Holaysan
Suntory Farm Inc.
Sta. Fe, Bantayan Island, Cebu

hi everyone i am from pangasinan area is there any resources where can i get Chinese bamboo seedlings

try to contact number below. they have lots of indigenous and exotic bamboos.

Carolina Bamboo Garden   
2nd Floor, Sagittarius Bldg. H.V. Dela Costa Street, 
Salcedo Village 
Makati City 
Philippines 
(632) 816-3868; 816-3875 
(632) 867-1055

agri.phil wrote:

try to contact number below. they have lots of indigenous and exotic bamboos.

Carolina Bamboo Garden   
2nd Floor, Sagittarius Bldg. H.V. Dela Costa Street, 
Salcedo Village 
Makati City 
Philippines 
(632) 816-3868; 816-3875 
(632) 867-1055

Thank you very much sir for info. regards

TALISAY MERCHANDISING have available Bamboo but only limited to KAWAYANG TINIK and KAWAYANG BAYOG, ,Tinik are commonly used in Nipa Hut that we can see anywrere for commercial purposes and Bayog which are mostly used in making a fishcage fingerlings bangus cultured.Contact landline tel.no. 043-7280264 and mobile no. 09213684058 or 09062472585 to explain the details.

To Ma'am Nimfa,

Good day mam I would like to ask if you have known anyone who sells bamboo anywhere in Baguio, City because I would like to buy bamboo seedlings/cuttings for our Project in Tree Nursery Management, Plantation Establishment and Agroforestry Systems Capacity Building Program for NGP Stakeholders, a DENR Project in partnership of Visayas State University. Thank you and more power.

gemma.asauro wrote:

To Ma'am Nimfa,

Good day mam I would like to ask if you have known anyone who sells bamboo anywhere in Baguio, City because I would like to buy bamboo seedlings/cuttings for our Project in Tree Nursery Management, Plantation Establishment and Agroforestry Systems Capacity Building Program for NGP Stakeholders, a DENR Project in partnership of Visayas State University. Thank you and more power.

Good day! According to Ma'am Nimfa, you can go to DENR-CAR in Loakan. They might have some bamboo propagules for sale. Dr. Carlos Arida can help you at DENR-CAR. You could also ask them to refer you to Ms. Fatima Tangan, former bamboo consultant at DENR-CAR. Hope this helps! Thanks.