1 (edited by mikeltj Mar 11 2010 08:38:58)

Re: Murrah Buffalo (carabao Dairy Topic)

Hi friends,
Let us start a string topics about Buffalo dairy in the philippines.
My name is Tj and a future recipient of a Brazilian (MURRAH) buffalo dairy LINE.
anybody here who is in the buss. of buffalo dairy production
tj

www.agriventa.com / tj@agriventa.com
0922-838-4651 (sun) 0921-742-9385 (smart)

thanks mikeltj for starting a thread on dairy buffalo.  this is one commodity that has a very high potential and that needs technical information support to ensure success.  I will alert our friends from PCC to follow-through this forum for proper guidance.

Sa angkop na technolohiya- MAY TAMA KA!!!

I thought the Murrah is of Asian origin...not Brazilian...

Anyway, I am also interested in trying out keeping some Upgraded Dairy Buffalos.

I've been looking around...and all I've been seeing are local carabaos. Does anybody keep pure imported breeds...or do we only have crosses available?

4 (edited by mikeltj Mar 11 2010 08:44:14)

Don,

The animals that will be dispersed by PCC will be from Brazil. they call it Brazilian Buffalo but Murrah breed. so Brazilian Murrah Buffalo.
For now crosses will do for you, but if you have the dough you can get your self a pure line of murrah. around 80k up, the brazilian murrah buffalo was priced at 200,000 pesos.

You can loan a Bull at PCC (http://www.pcc.da.gov.ph/) so you can updgrade you local carabaos into dairy line.  there is also a dispersal of semen for A.I, pls check w your provincial vet. here in Bulacan we have a program for dispersal of murrah semen for A.I upgrading programs.

Synan- Yess PCC should follow up and make their own strings. about their projects and technology. Carabaos are the real answer to the Phil.
Dairy problem. they are built for the philippine conditions. and love by the farmers.

Thanks for the link sir. Meron pala website ang PCC.
Anyway, do you have info kung paano yung Bull Loan Service? How do you pay it back?
I did'nt undertand yung statement na " considered paid in full when it has produced 25 calves". Does it mean you have to pay them back 25 calves? or only the proof that it has serviced and produced 25 caracalves?

maganda ang programa ng PCC kaya lang dapat member kayo ng koop or magform kay ng kooperatiba to avial yung kanilang mga programa sana meron sila for individual na gustong mag-alaga kong gusto talaga nila itong maipalaganap ng mabilis

“pwede nating pag-usapan ang tungkol sa baboy pero wala sanang baboyan”

sinu na po dito naka avial ng "25-dairy buffalo module"?

8 (edited by mikeltj Mar 12 2010 22:46:48)

DonT wrote:

Thanks for the link sir. Meron pala website ang PCC.
Anyway, do you have info kung paano yung Bull Loan Service? How do you pay it back?
I did'nt undertand yung statement na " considered paid in full when it has produced 25 calves". Does it mean you have to pay them back 25 calves? or only the proof that it has serviced and produced 25 caracalves?

Don,

What they mean was if you produced 25 calves na, meaning from service na paid ka naman in services rendered,  you keep the bull for good. thats their requirement.. kita kana naka tulong ka pa sa co farmers mo in the area. PCC will declare your bull in the area.. just email pcc and they will reply back.
Tj

9 (edited by mikeltj Mar 12 2010 23:00:19)

babes_lover wrote:

sinu na po dito naka avial ng "25-dairy buffalo module"?

Babes lover,

Kami sa Sn Roque  Dairy farmers Association of Baliuag Bulacan ay recipient ng 25 carabao dairy module. the herd will be released sometime early april nag final chek na para sa housing and forage requirement.
Kahit association lang will fit the requirement granting papasa kayo sa mga pre requisite. just chek the site and follow instruction. samantalahin natin ang dumating from brazil. its once in a lifetime opp.

Tj

babes_lover wrote:

maganda ang programa ng PCC kaya lang dapat member kayo ng koop or magform kay ng kooperatiba to avial yung kanilang mga programa sana meron sila for individual na gustong mag-alaga kong gusto talaga nila itong maipalaganap ng mabilis

Babes lover,

meron din ang PCC na family program loan na nag papahiram sa mga individuals ng dairy herd. its better if you call or email them so that PCC can explain better how to avail that. You would be surprise about the programs of PCC, for me they have the best Program for the farmers since recipient na kami.  Yun lang kulang lang sa information dessimination. pero they have programs for you and me.
tj

sir tj,

sinu po kontak nyo sa PCC pwede po ba mahingi yung no. or email?

thanks po

12 (edited by mikeltj Mar 13 2010 16:28:31)

email kalang.. no specific person...
write a formal letter everything, dpat bago ka sumulat you have the necssary papers, registration ng group kung 25 module. kung family module ask them kung ano ang mga needs? everthing should be in writing. pls follow the procedure may instruction naman sa website steps on the dairy bufalo module 25
tj

Guidelines for 25 dairy buffalo module

the PCC staff through the NIZ Team were tasked to ensure that applicants for the buffalo dairy module must meet the requirements or criteria for eligibility. It was stressed that qualified cooperatives must pass through the following stages before the dairy modules are awarded: project orientation, background investigation of prospective recipients, social preparation training, technical training on basic buffalo management and final evaluation.

CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBILITY
Farmer groups, associations or cooperatives interested in availing the 25 dairy buffalo module must have the following qualifications:

• Farmers’ organization/association interested in joining the NIZ Project must be willing to form a cooperative to be
able meet all the criteria for eligibility.

• The cooperative must have a certificate of registration from the Cooperative Development Authority (CDA).

• The cooperative must have a functional organizational structure, conduct regular meeting with minutes of meeting as proof, and present its latest financial statement.

• Willing to participate in basic trainings on social preparation and buffalo management

• Willing to put up the required counterparts (P2,000 guarantee or mortuary fund per animal per year) until 1 or 2 16- to 18-month calves or 1 calf for heifer and 2 calves for pregnant module are turned over to PCC as payment for the original stock loaned-out to the cooperative, animal shed measuring 4 m x 4 m with concrete flooring; and 1,000 sq. m. forage area planted with Napier grass.

AWARDING OF THE MODULES
An applicant-cooperative who passes the criteria for eligibility must undergo the following stages before the dairy module is awarded:

• On-site project orientation on the NIZ project, details of the 25 dairy module, counterpart contributions of the cooperative and prospective recipients, details of the memorandum of agreement between the cooperative and PCC and the individual animal loan contracts between PCC and the would-be participants.

• Submit final list of would-be recipients, endorsement of the cooperative, board resolution indicating intention to participate in the project, photo copy of CDA registration certificate, and latest audited financial statement a week after the orientation.

• Actual home visits and one-on-one interviews to give the project staff a first glance on the prospective dairy buffalo recipients’ family, household and family resources, and the physical environment where the buffalo module would be raised and managed.

• Two-day social preparation training for prospective recipients, focusing on matching of project objectives with the recipients’ families and cooperatives’ objectives; understanding the four pillars of project sustainability; and drafting and signing of a covenant to develop a strong sense of personal and collective co-ownership of the project.

• Two-day technical Central Luzon State University training of prospective recipients on basic buffalo management at the PCC at Dairy Farm.

• Checking of counterpart contributions in a final evaluation.

If the counterpart’ contributions exist, awarding of the animals is recommended. The animal loan contracts arc signed by the recipients and PCC executive director with the cooperative chairman and PSPD chief as witnesses. All contracts will be notarized and distributed to all concerned signatories.

Following the 25 dairy buffalo module scheme, each interested and qualified cooperative got a loan of 25 heads of female dairy buffalos from PCC. For a start, 1,000 heads of purebred Murrah buffalos were given as loans to the 37 cooperatives. Delivery of the animals for 40 modules started in 1999.

ISSUES AND CONCERNS
PCC staff involved in the project said a number of issues and concerns encountered in its implementation could provide insights to future projects. In the first few years when the animals started calving, for instance, it was difficult to motivate the farmers to collect milk from their animals. A number of farmers believed that the milk was just enough for the calf. Other farmers did not want to milk their animals because they did not want to wake up early for milk collection.

It took only a year, however, to convince the farmers to collect milk and sell it. But another concern came out in 2004 when almost all the NIZ farmers were already convinced to collect milk from their animals. This time the problem revolved on the production of poor or low quality milk as the farmers lacked the technical know-how on the proper milking, transport, and storage.

With the intervention of DAR, the issue on the production of poor quality milk was addressed through a financial assistance from an ADB-funded project for NEFEDCCO and its primary cooperatives. The DAR-ADB grant was used for the purchase of milk collection equipment and milk quality testing equipment as well as trainings on proper milking, storage, transport, and other training related to milk quality control.

15 (edited by mikeltj Mar 14 2010 15:38:36)

TO GIVE YOU FOLKS A BETTER IDEA OF THE REQUIREMENTS FROM PCC
HOUSING (4X4M) SHOULD BE DEPENDABLE AND RIGID
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/michaeltomjim/sideview.jpg

16 (edited by mikeltj Mar 14 2010 15:35:32)

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/michaeltomjim/carabaohousing1.jpg

APPROVED HOUSING BY PCC (4MX4M)
THIS HOUSING IS 4X5 W/C CAN HOUSE 3 LARGE ADULT RUMINANT

17 (edited by mikeltj Mar 14 2010 15:36:49)

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/michaeltomjim/inside-1.jpg
(1.5X4) PER DIVISION (PER ANIMAL)

nice one tj

19 (edited by mikeltj Mar 14 2010 16:34:17)

Yeah! just maybe the interest will multiply w my posting and endorsement. just maybe Dairy buffalo will be the answer to the farmers prayers, well additional daily income that is...
Will keep everybody posted upon the arrival of Buffalo and the development of Dairy Project by PMC Dairy Farmers of Baliuag

TJ

TJ,

Have you considered beep bedding system (DBS) for flooring instead of cemented floor? If properly done, 90cm depth, DBS is zero water, no cleaning.

Deep bedding System = 90cm depth...thats almost a meter high! Di ba mabulok ang mga paa ng mga ruminants nun.

Wintuha,

Im not familiar with your DBS technique pero since its not recommended by PCC hindi ako makakapasa sa standard nila kung gagawin ko yun, PCC will check the housing if its ok for the carabao or not so better follow all instruction carefully in order to pass the requirements. The cooperative or association should follow the PCC technical team tediously.. sensitive sila sa mga small things lalo na sa mga advices nila na hindi na susunod is a ground for failure to comply

TJ

23 (edited by wintuha Mar 16 2010 07:57:05)

I will check with the extension office of PCC in UPLB regarding the use of DBS. For your info, some commercial goat raisers are employing already the DBS in their farms.

By the way, if you are making concentrate for Murrah Buffalo, I can supply you copra meal.

Yun yatang family module (5-10 animals) nila is for completion yata ito sa 25 DB module
Actually nagemail na ako at nagreply naman yung taga PCC may mga katanungan sila na nasagot ko naman ng maayos at alam ko satisfy naman sila sa sagot ko base na din sa reply nila
May pumunta sa amin isang empleyado ng PCCparang nagCI nagtanung tanung lang after nun wala na
Gusto nila na member ako sa isang kooperatiba bago nila iconsider yung application ko which is wala naman ganun sa area namin

Sana mapag-aralan nila uli yung kanilang policy about sa mga gustong mag-avail na hindi member sa isang cooperative sayang naman palagay ko malawak na dapat itong programa na ito kong mabibigyan lang ng opportunity yung iba na tulad ko

Paki tulungan na lang po na maiparating sa kanila..he..he..he

thanks

babes lover-

the reason why you need to have a group kasi the program is intended as a bayanihan system, mas madali kasi imarket ang milk ng isang group rather than 1 person with 5 dairy heads.
I know what you mean about being singular pero its the system you have to adopt to, so do as i did mag buo ka ng group mo ayain mo yung meron na mga kalabaw na alaga para maapreciate nila ang program.
kung taga nueva ecija ka mas madali kayo maaprove kasi you belong to the NIZ (national impact Zone)
tsaga kalang yun lang naman puhunan mo
tj

wintuha wrote:

I will check with the extension office of PCC in UPLB regarding the use of DBS. For your info, some commercial goat raisers are employing already the DBS in their farms.

By the way, if you are making concentrate for Murrah Buffalo, I can supply you copra meal.

Yup we did tried it on our goat herd, pero in the long run high maintenance din, nag shift din kami sa elevated.
Baka hindi pa approve ang system na DBS sa Dairy carabao kasi hindi naman nirecommend sa seminar namin from PCC at CLSU. we did a 2 day seminar on Dairy Herd Management bago makapasa sa 25Dairy carabao module dispersal.
Tj

mikeltj wrote:

wintuha wrote:

Yup we did tried it on our goat herd, pero in the long run high maintenance din, nag shift din kami sa elevated.
Baka hindi pa approve ang system na DBS sa Dairy carabao kasi hindi naman nirecommend sa seminar namin from PCC at CLSU. we did a 2 day seminar on Dairy Herd Management bago makapasa sa 25Dairy carabao module dispersal.
Tj

DBS i suppose would work well under Philippine conditions if we can keep the animals from soiling the litter too much, otherwise it will be labor intensive and as mikeltj said maintenance cost (labor) would be high in the long run.

Sa angkop na technolohiya- MAY TAMA KA!!!

PMC Dairy Farmer of Baliuag will be visted by PCC RIZ Coordinators this coming friday, i will keep you posted on the details so association who are interested can have a better picture..
Tj

29 (edited by mikeltj Apr 19 2010 11:41:05)

Hi folks,

A Productive meeting with PCC CBED (Carabao Based Enterprises Development Program) coordinators, They gave the PMC dairy farmers of baliuag an Orientation. What are the pre requisites and requirements. They also ask for the barangay profile. and also ask for the carabao population in our barangay. after we send the papers that is needed another meeting will be scheduled. it will be a 3x meeting before the final dairy herd management training at PCC@CLSU .
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/michaeltomjim/cbedwpmc.jpg
Tj

I just Attended the 17th Anniversary of Phil Carabao Center, San Roque Dairy farmers of Baliuag Bulacan was awarded with the 25 dairy carabao module. the certicifate was handed by Exec. Director Libertado Cruz to our pangulo Lito Esgurra.
We stayed there for 2days all accomodation were shouldered by PCC. Recipient farmers from all over the country were there,
Farmers Field day was the best.. we visited successful Dairy Farms in Nueva
Ecija. will post pics soon.
Tj

Congratulation TJ and your group! 25 dairy carabao, madami na rin ang combined milk production niyan.

salamat  wintuha, sana madami pa ang makakuha ng carabao Dairy animal na ito, it will surely help smallholder farms in the Philippines
tj

33 (edited by mikeltj Mar 27 2010 22:33:37)

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/michaeltomjim/directors.jpg
Big BOss of Phil.Carabao Center (The men behind the success of PCC)

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/michaeltomjim/MangMarcing.jpg
Successful Dairy Carabao Farmer in Sn Jose Nueva Ecija

35 (edited by mikeltj Apr 12 2010 21:59:30)

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/michaeltomjim/SirRamosDairyFarm.jpg
Engineer Ramos 45 Heads Dairy Carabao earning him big cash daily on the average
Tj

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/michaeltomjim/DSCF0292.jpg
Forage Production in 6000sqm - serves 9heads of Dairy Carabao

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/michaeltomjim/1000sqmeter.jpg
1000sq.meter of napier per Head of Carabao Dairy

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/michaeltomjim/GuestHouse.jpg
San Roque Dairy Farmers of Baliuag Bulacan president ( Cecilio "LITO" Esguerra) this is the guest house were we stayed.

Tj

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/michaeltomjim/mefeedingthecarabaos.jpg
Tj doing little work for PCC.

Schedule S.P.T for PMC Dairy Farmers of Baliuag on April 9-10
Social Preparation Training- pagsasanay para sa panlipunang paghahanda kaugnay sa proyektong gatasang kalabaw.
to be facilitated by CBED (carabao based enterprise developement) coordinators