1 (edited by bagito Mar 05 2010 20:07:53)

Re: Goat Feed Formulations

Need help with goat feed feed formulations.
Anyone who has a copy? Much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

cono darak + molasses= goatfeed  or and + salt and dicalphos or and + coprapowder  or and + cracked corn or and + ipil ipil or napier and +++ other ingredients . Depende sa budget you want to spend for your concentrate. For my farm, i dont care kung kulang ang ingredients for my goatconcentrate as long as nakakain silang ibat ibang damo legumes daily. The more na binibigay mo ang masarap o luho ng ingredients the more the tumataas ang iyong operating expenses. Better watch out...

wla akung alam sa kambing pro sa ndi inaasahang pagkakataon aku ay nakagwa ng goat feed from food wastes..ang tanong,kelangan ba ng goats ang feeds or mas enjoy cla sa damo?eh panu kung wlang damo sa isang lugar pro gusto mu pa rin mag alaga ng kambing, mabubuhay b cla sa feeds?

we can do cut and carry sa goat raising but its labor intensive. pag few heads lang ok siguro pero pag maramihan dapat talaga may source ka ng legumes and forage to sustain them.
Pag gusto nating mag alaga ng kambing start muna tayong magtanim ng pagkain nila bago tayo bumili ng stocks. Its not advisable na feeds lang ang kakainin ng kambing knowing that they are ruminants. Wag natin silang sanayin sa feeds baka magising ka na lang isang umaga may pakpak na yong kambing.

http://gracelandfarm.multiply.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goatraisers/
“You are the change that you dream and collectively we are the change that this world needs.”

gracelandfarm wrote:

we can do cut and carry sa goat raising but its labor intensive. pag few heads lang ok siguro pero pag maramihan dapat talaga may source ka ng legumes and forage to sustain them.
Pag gusto nating mag alaga ng kambing start muna tayong magtanim ng pagkain nila bago tayo bumili ng stocks. Its not advisable na feeds lang ang kakainin ng kambing knowing that they are ruminants. Wag natin silang sanayin sa feeds baka magising ka na lang isang umaga may pakpak na yong kambing.

I think we need to discuss the science of feeding goats and other ruminants here.  Tama po hindi dapat sa concentrate feed lang natin iasa ang pagpapakin ng kambing kasi hindi man siguro sila magka pakpak malamang mangisay na lang sila at mag paalam nang tuloyan.

Very good suggestion po yung mag tanim ng forage or mag develop muna ng sapat na pasture bago magpasok ng stocks.

Sige umpisahan nyo nang itanong ang gusto nyo malaman sa pagpapakain ng ruminat animals kasama na ang kambing.

Sa angkop na technolohiya- MAY TAMA KA!!!

6 (edited by geellorin Mar 07 2010 02:30:35)

I believe that it's not a matter of "mabubuhay ba sila KUNG feeds lang," dahil sa tingin ko when push comes to shove, goats can survive eating just feed-concentrate alone.  The question though is that, is it the best thing for ruminants to be fed with just that?  The answer is plain and simple:  NO.  Their digestive system is designed to have roughage(grass and legumes) as their main diet, pang-supplemento lang yong feeds mainly done sa mga gestating and lactating ones that needs extra energy food source.

Bottom line is:  We need to focus more sa pag-develop nang ating pasture, or di kaya'y forage farms, to sustain the natural-food-needs nang ating mga kambing.  And as far as feed-concentrate goes, as supplement, we can either buy it or mix our own.

Anyhow, the original poster of this topic may already know about the merits of forages and legumes.  Baka talagang gusto nya lang mag-mix nang sariling feed-conc. instead na bumili sya.  In that case, I think one of the previous posters have already answered his question.

Creek Hollow Farms
Valencia City, Bukidnon | email: ch_farms@yahoo.com

7 (edited by alaminos_goatfarm Mar 07 2010 13:40:41)

Everything is possible, Ive seen a friend feeding only spent grain with out forage and his stock was ok. At the end of the day it is a question of economics. If you will make money giving only feed concentrate go ahead but I doubt you will survive with the high cost of concentrate.

We are raising goats to make a decent profit and giving goats forage legumes and grass are the instrument to achieve this. Goats being ruminants needs the forage for the fermentation process in the rumen to make it efficient.

http://www.youtube.com/v/WFBwuUXQPnU&hl=en&fs=1"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyQ2JKbBQT8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt4KB7zdL4k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/v/YslzWbxnUu8

bloat will occur if feed with pure grains

Too much concentrate (carbohydrate and other digestible sugars and protien) feed may also result to a very acidic rumen environment (a condition called rumen acidosis) that can cause peeling-off of the rumen linings that could lead to death if not properly managed. 

The other issue with concentrate feeding in ruminants is the cost.

jadef wrote:

bloat will occur if feed with pure grains

Why would too much concentrate or digestible protein cause bloat?  Please drop in your two cents.

11 (edited by alaminos_goatfarm Mar 12 2010 05:29:58)

In the Philippines Alaminos Goat Farm is one of the heaviest feeder of concentrate for goats. We survive the high cost of concentrate feeds because we sell expensive breeders at a premium and fresh goat's milk.

If you will be producing meat for slaughter you will not make a good profit feeding big amount of feed concentrate.

What causes bloat in ruminants is the abrupt change in the feeding regimen. Since they are ruminants ,  the forage grass they eat will undergo fermentation process and giving feed concentarte abruptly disturb the process. If you will add concentarte feeds do it gradually alternately with your forage grass and legumes.

We have not experienced a single case of bloat the past three years because we do everything gradually and by schedule, everything is in rhythm no abrupt changes everything is predictable with regards to the feeding regimen.

To address the high cost of concentrate feeds we are undertaking a forage improvement program, focused on three legumes, mulberry, indigofera and malunggay, for more info visit our website at http://alaminosgoatfarm.com

http://www.youtube.com/v/WFBwuUXQPnU&hl=en&fs=1"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyQ2JKbBQT8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt4KB7zdL4k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/v/YslzWbxnUu8

thank you all for your messages..

hirit pko ah hanggang sa marami nko malaman sa ruminants..

eto na..

ang sangkap kc ng goat feed na nagawa ku ay..banana peelings and corn cobs as the main raw mat'ls and then i added egg shells and malunggay leaves (as additives). my copy aku ng ratio at tska nutritional value..and according nmn sa some related literature and studies eh pasok nmn ung sangkap sa nutritional requirements ng kambing..so tlgang kelangan pla nila ang damo..so ang dpat eh ihalo ku n lang ung feeds ku sa damo everytime na kakain cla?salamat po sa information.. ilang beses ba kung pakainin ang kambing sa isang araw?

holy goat, the feed that you are mixing (considering the ingredients) cannot be considered as concentrate technically because all the materials that you are puting into the ration are high in fiber.  For your feed mix to be considered concentrate you need to add ingredients that are high in carbohydrate or other digestible sugars (e.g. rice bran, molasses, corn bran or ground corn, cassava or camote meal and other similar materials).

Thank you Sir AGF for sharing your ideas and suggestions to prevent bloat.

Indeed bloat can occur if changes in feed are abrupt.  What happens is if the volume or proportion of higly digestible materials are abruptly increased in the rumen there will also be sudden increase in the fermentation rate.  Gas being one of the byproducts of fermentation thus, sudden increase in fermentation rate results to increase in gas production that causes bloat.

14 (edited by geellorin Mar 12 2010 01:47:55)

Feeds is essentially a way to supplement whatever there is that an animal(goats, base sa topico natin dito ngayon) has to eat na hindi nila makukuha sa tamang amount from their natural food source out in the pasture or sa mga grass and legumes that are served to them(in cut and carry system).  Kaya ang masasabi ko, if we don't know really kung ano ang dapat "meron" ang feeds(nutrition-wise), I would say na dapat we either have to consult an animal nutritionist(bago mag-mix tayo nang sariling-atin na formula) or better yet bumili nalang nang feeds na specific for goats.

And yes, good herd feeding management is very important - hindi po basta bigyan nalang nang pagkain.  I did get emails asking for ideas how to feed their specific goat na namimili daw nang pagkain and my answer is, that, if yong kambing ay galing sa ibang farm(meaning: binili nya from another farm - which is usually the case), the owner needs to check where is comes from - know their feeding routine and kung anong pagkain ang binibigay nila, then, manage that specific goat exactly the same way at unti-unting i-change(if it's the step the new owner would want to do) until makapag-adjust sya to your sariling farm "ways".  Yes, gradual adjustment is the key.  Again, the operational-word is GRADUAL, to avoid bloat (maybe) and other possible problems and risks.

Creek Hollow Farms

uu nga..so they nid carbo,fibers ad sugar..mas mabuti xna kung makakapunta aku sa khit isang farm..im from pangasinan..graduate aku ng chemical egineering..i want 2 know more about goat farming (feeding as well)..salamat sa lahat n messages nyu..post lang kau kung mron pa..

Any additional and/or other ideas on why too much concentrate feed is not good for goats and other ruminant animals?

kami we just give 150 grams daily per goat as maintenance..
tj

www.agriventa.com / tj@agriventa.com
0922-838-4651 (sun) 0921-742-9385 (smart)

mikeltj wrote:

kami we just give 150 grams daily per goat as maintenance..
tj

mga ilang percent kaya sa total daily intake ang concentrate na binibigay mo sir?  How are the goats responding to it?

2% lang siguro, aba malaki epekto nito lalo na when you give bago mag forage sa umaga.. talgang makikita mo ang mga goats bilugin, lalo na ngayon mostly dried forage kami
tj

Thank you for the information.  Kung pagbasihan natin ang post ni mikeltj, yung concentrate that is only about 2% of the total ration ay malaki ang benefit sa kanyang mga alaga.  Bakit kaya ganun ka laki ang benefit na kukuha from 2% concentrate supplementation sa kambing or sa ruminants?  Please share your thoughts.  thanks.

synan,
sa aking pag kakaalam yun lang naman ang kelangan ng goat, more than that is a waste to the animal, natatapon nalang, ang important ay balance and constant supply of the 2% baka naman weekly ration lang ang gawin eh wala din, when u say daily i mean araw araw...besides that meron pa din naman 30% legumes and 70% grass, or pwede up to 7% ng fiber like ginikan and alike.  will post the scientific idea behind the 2% pag dina ko busy. tnx

Synan,

Do you know where is the location of mulberry trees used for silk worm culture in UPLB? On my way home next week, I will go to UPLB to gather some cuttings of mulberry.

Thank you.

Ross dela Cruz

wintuha wrote:

Synan,

Do you know where is the location of mulberry trees used for silk worm culture in UPLB? On my way home next week, I will go to UPLB to gather some cuttings of mulberry.

Thank you.

Ross dela Cruz

if you are familiar with the UPLB campus, the site where I saw some mulbery stand before is the vicinity of the Farming systems office.  But I am not sure if they still have it there now.

mikeltj wrote:

synan,
sa aking pag kakaalam yun lang naman ang kelangan ng goat, more than that is a waste to the animal, natatapon nalang, ang important ay balance and constant supply of the 2% baka naman weekly ration lang ang gawin eh wala din, when u say daily i mean araw araw...besides that meron pa din naman 30% legumes and 70% grass, or pwede up to 7% ng fiber like ginikan and alike.  will post the scientific idea behind the 2% pag dina ko busy. tnx

actually, the primary objective of adding concentrate to the ruminant diet is to enhance growth and activity of the rumen microflora that is responsible in breaking fibrous materials into digestible forms.  Also, enhancing the population of rumen microorganisms (up to a certain extent) would also increase microbial protiens and other nutrients that are useful to ruminant animals.

ayun.. tnx synan
tj

Synan,

Thanks, I know the place. If I am not mistaken it is the Pili Drive going to IRRI.

Gd day po! i understand rice bran is high in phosphorous so we need to add limestone to help balance the calcium- phosphorous ratio. Where can i buy grade feed limestone in Cebu or Bacolod? The most i could find is just the agricultural limestone or APOG. Dicalcium phosphate and oyster shell aren't available too.Please help!

Good day Moderator Synan,
If feed grade limestone is unavailable, can we substitute it with agricultural limestone (APOG) as calcium supplement? Or is the following formulation a better alternative: 11 kilos table salt + 3 tablespoons Cecical (vit-min mix). Or perhaps you can recommend a better formulation. Many thanks.

Haiawatha,

Para pang-calcium supplement, either cecical or dicalcium phosphate(dicaphos) will do.

Creek Hollow Farms

thanks for the clarification geellorin, i really appreciate it.