Re: Backyard Swine Raising

Hello to everyone, PCARRDers. Thanks a lot for accomodating me. I'm a newcomer who wants to gather as much information & ideas to gain knolwledge on swine production ( fattening first). In fact, l am already building a pig housing and nearing completion at this time. I have already observed the Backyard usual/old style or way of swine production in our area but I want to try this new concept of raising hogs, The Deep Beded Sytem of Swine Production. By the way, Is this the same with the Korean Natural Farming Technology? I would greatly appreciate, if anyone of the respected members of PCARRDers would share their knowledge & experience on the Ff:
1) Deep beded System
    -What is the Standard design & measurement?
    -Is the rice husk need to be always dry & protected by Screen?
    -The hogs should go to the rice husk bed to excrete, How would you orient or train the    hogs to go to that area to urinate & deposit?
    -Is there any particular breed appropriate for this DBS?
    -Where can I buy reading materials or can I download ?
    -Is there a scheduled seminar regarding this DBS or KNF?
    -Is there any bad effect known in using DBS or KNF in cold areas like Baguio or the Cordilleras where I am Located?.

2) Feed formulation the natural way
    Where can I Buy or obtain detailed procedures regarding this topic?

I would appreciate so much any information & experience you can share to me.
Thanks & GOD Bless

Rino Astudillo
Address: #148, Purok 1, Holy Ghost Extension, Baguio City
Email add: iluvong_dayeng@hotmail.com

you can get all that info here......

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/natural_farming_philippines/?yguid=345791938

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PhilippinePoultry/

http://tastychicksph.blogspot.com/

ask k kay sir andy lim

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

Deep bedded system . . . here in the Phil use in conjunction to organic farming.

This is the practice use in US where they do not wash their pens and pigs due to cool temperature.

Theoretically, the bedding is not replaced until the end of the finishing period, but organic incline farmers use EM to accelerate organic decomposition and minimize the production of ammonia inside the pen.

But!!! if u plan to raise ur fatteners this way, u may have problem selling ur pigs later because their feet will carry the pig shit smell and very noticeable even it is already cook and u are about to eat it.

I maybe wrong ... be my guest ... take some chances...

5 (edited by babes_lover Aug 07 2009 09:45:45)

ahe wrote:
But!!! if u plan to raise ur fatteners this way, u may have problem selling ur pigs later because their feet will carry the pig shit smell and very noticeable even it is already cook and u are about to eat it.

sir,

anu po klase ng bedding ginamit dito ipa, soil, saw dust....?

thanks

“pwede nating pag-usapan ang tungkol sa baboy pero wala sanang baboyan”

Naku wag nyo try ang ipa, masama ang experience ko dyan, masyadong matrabaho mag palit ng bedding tapos prone pa ang baboy sa skin problem.

babes_lover wrote:

ahe wrote:

sir,

anu po klase ng bedding ginamit dito ipa, soil, saw dust....?

thanks

Sir try ko epa or combination of sawdust & Epa. We'll try the method introduced by Sir Andre Lim (KNF) pero yong nasa ibabaw pure epa. May nabasa akong article na ang sawdust daw may water content kaya hindi masyadong makapag-absorb at saka kailangan daw mag undergo ng heat treatment process to avoid avian tuberculosis to the pigs ( ATTRA Publication)