Re: mahogany or gemelina?

The price of mahogany and gemelina are more or less the same with mahogany just slightly higher. On top of that, mahogany takes longer to mature and its seeds reportedly cost more.
So why plant mahogany when you get the same return in less time with gemelina?
Are there other factors that make mahogany more popular and desirable among planters and investors?

Magtatanim po kasi ako at hindi pa ako pa alam alin sa dalawa ang itatanim ko.

Saklolo....!

My local observation.
The popularity of gmelina and mahogany in our place.
Gmelina plant two or more trees let it grow  or forget about it for seven or more years, a large area would be covered with Gmelina mini forest. All you see are seedlings everywhere, it easily colonizes an area. Locals blame the gmelina for the unhealthy corn or bananas near it stand, as they say it drinks so much water and utilizes so much nutrients that other plants finds it difficult to survive. Also it is fast growing and the lumber is good enough for local use.
mahogany go to Cenro most give 100 or more seedlings free.  Also more than twenty years ago DENR have been distributing mahagony in the towns and barrios for free. Now many are fully grown supply the place with thousands of seeds that turn into seedling by themselves all around the mother tree. Seeds and seedlings are plentiful you can have it for free on fruiting time and during the rainy months. The lumber is better than gmelina. Oh yes seeds and seedlings are plenty.
Then here is what the local folks say  I do not want to plant narra, molave dao and other premium hardwood trees as there is a ban to cut these trees, and even if you planted it there is paper work and approvals when you harvest and transport it.
Also there are a few tree nurseries sa Pinas that carries a good quantity of narra, dao, molave, kamagong and other premium hardwood trees.
Mababaw na factors, popular talaga an gmelina at mahogany you see these trees on the roads, the highway, the school grounds, near barangay halls and where are the narras, dao, molave and other premium hardwood trees, there up in the remote mountains and some survivors on edges of far farms and long established schools and old places.
There are some reasons like returns but then these are factors after some studies by research groups.

thanks for your observation, pinoywaray. as i understand, you planted mahogany. why not gemelina?

I planted mahogany as it was given free by the local DENR, and seedlings is available in our area. I got disenchanted with mahogany because of the tip borer, a small moth that laysits eggs on young buds, thus inducing the tree to have multishoots resulting in multibranches, when the trunk of the tree is not long enough.
I shifted to narra, molave, dao, that is to grow the kind of trees that once grow in our area.
At present though I love to plant teakwood. Fast growing and the tree just seems to shoot up straight to the skies.

how old are your teakwood? are they sturdier than mahogany? what, if any problems, have you encountered with them?
i haven't started planting yet so my options are still open.

The teakwood ranges from 16 months to a month old. The 16 months old are four times my height I am 5 ft. 7inches tall the diameter of the trunck is about five to six inches. The six month old is almost double my height. A strong typhoon would be a problem because of the big leaves. Yes it is sturdy, imposing and have a proud stand.I do not have good pictures of it, but then you can have a look in lorna pedida's multiply site. Look at picture no. 11 of 97, 49 of 97, 50 of 97, 51 of 97. I still have seedlings to plant comes the rainy season. In fact I am grwing more seedlings as farmers in our place are surprised how fast teakwood grows.
Have you visited Tropical American Tree Farm you will see more pictures, it even have a projected study all you have to do is put it into Philippine setting.
The best you can do now if you have the land is to sow ipil ipil or plant plenty fo kakawate so when you have your mahogany, teakwood or whatever you will have a lot of mulch coming from the ipil and kakawate.
Throw me more questions I would be glad to reply.
Ang sa narra at molave I planted it kasi I love native trees and these native trees flowers a lot loaded with nectar na can easily support a bee colony which I have planning to set up.

thank you for your informative and prompt reply, pinoywaray.  i'll visit lorna's site and the tropical american site.
God bless you!

There are so many factors to be considered in planting any trees. You can browse ERDB publications on different species like Research Information Series on Ecosystems (RISE) of ERDB-DENR for gmelina (including facts/issues), mahogany, teak, dao, narra, molave, etc... Uses, distribution, site requirements, propagation, seed technology, nursery practices & plantation establishment per species were indicated here. You can contact:
                 The Director
                 Ecosystems Research and Development Bureau (ERDB)
                 College, Laguna 4031
                 Tel Nos.: (049) 536-2229; 536-2509; 536-2269

We also have some publications like Philippine Recommends (PR) for Reforestation, Tree farming and Plantation Development;  PR for Agroforestry; etc. that you can use as reference materials. Kindly please check the list of publications thru our website.

For the current price for wood products, you can contact the Philippine Wood Producers Association (PWPA) at www.pwpa.org.ph

Hope for the success of your projects...

Maraming maraming salamat po dcabral!
God bless you!

What is scientific name for Arius/Pudo tree?

Just my two cents...

Mahogany is a dominant tree and a survivor.  Does not need too much water unlike Gemelina.  However, if you have access to water, then Gemelina is a better choice.

Nevertheless, consult your DENR for the best recommendation....

sir, do you mean gemelina would be better in a place where there is a body of water? how close should a pond, creek or river be to a gemelina plantation for the trees to be better than mahogany?
hoping for another two cents worth from you.

Hi ay_ungin, what I mean is that if you can water the plants as they grow from their seedlings stage, the survival rate will be higher.

i see...thanks, armandpsia

mahogany ako, mas marami gamit daw mahogany... electric post?? but obsolete na

Philippine Agriculture Blog - www.agriculture.ph

yah i agree mas maganda ang mahogany compare sa gemilina.... mas maganda rina ang quality ng  lumber nito kaya lang mas madali ata lumaki ang gemilina...

All the Manila Information in one excellent guide. ManilaGateway.com

kagandahan kasi ng mahogany lalo na kapag lugar mo marami furniture makers, subok na sa furnitures yung mahogany.  pang export kasi.  marami gamit mahogany..  novelty items at mga fixtures sa bahay ginagamit rin.  actually yung gmelina talagang pinupush ng mga growers for furniture pero hindi talaga ganun kasing ganda ng mahogany.

Philippine Agriculture Blog - www.agriculture.ph

why not teak wood? just like what pinoywaray said it is a fast grower as well. mine is less than 1 year old around 600 trees along with around 300 narra planted in bohol. i have not seen yet how tall they are now because i'm based here in cavite. we have molave as well in the land as wild trees.

i think if many of us will plant teak and surplus would happen in the future then price/bdft can go lower... i think its 150 pesos now compared to 25 for mahogany.

magkano po gemilina per board feet ngayon? may ban po ba dito?

zildjian wrote:

why not teak wood? just like what pinoywaray said it is a fast grower as well. mine is less than 1 year old around 600 trees along with around 300 narra planted in bohol. i have not seen yet how tall they are now because i'm based here in cavite. we have molave as well in the land as wild trees.

i think if many of us will plant teak and surplus would happen in the future then price/bdft can go lower... i think its 150 pesos now compared to 25 for mahogany.

Gud day! Sir saan ho makakakuha ng seedlings ng teak wood?  And magkano ho ang price? salamat ho.

majoy wrote:

hindi ko po matandaan sa gmelina but it is a bit lower than mahogany. check nyo na lang po sa sulit.com.ph meron po dun lumber supplier add na taga Mindanao.

PoRkySera wrote:
zildjian wrote:

Gud day! Sir saan ho makakakuha ng seedlings ng teak wood?  And magkano ho ang price? salamat ho.

Sa MSBF (Manila Seedling Bank) po ako nakabili and if I remember 450 pesos po per kilo. Check nyo po website nila and call po muna kayo bago kayo pumunta kasi minsanan lang po may available.

Sa MSBF (Manila Seedling Bank) po ako nakabili and if I remember 450 pesos po per kilo. Check nyo po website nila and call po muna kayo bago kayo pumunta kasi minsanan lang po may available.

I called them, they have no stock of teak seeds or seedlings. mahirap daw patubuin.

good afternoon. Nais ko lang magtanong. Ano po ang Teakwood sa tagalog? Saan makakakuha ng punla? Magkano po ang isa? Gayon din, saan po pwedeng makakuha ng seedling ng Mahogany? magkano po ang isa? Salamat po.

Nais ko pong magtanim ng punongkahoy, di na para sa akin kundi sa aking mga anak at apo. Ano po ang Teakwood sa Tagalog? Saan po pwedeng makakuha at sa magkanong halaga ang isa? Saan po pwedeng makakuha ng punla ng Mahogany at sa magkano ang isa? Anong Ahensya ng pamahalaan ang maaaring makatulong?

per honor
Ang kilalang teak worldwide ang tawag ay tectona grandis mayroon Philippine teak ang tawag ay tectona Philippinensis endangered specie na ito now, hindi ko alam ang tagalog name, because it is commonly called teak. Ang Manila Seedling Bank (the previous years) were selling teak seeds, it seems out of stock most of the time. Napahirap magpa germinate ng teak seeds, in fact my own experience mga 6 to 7 seeds lang ang na germinate ko sa bawat 100 seeds. Last year I bought 9 kilos and not one germinated, dahil sa drought sa amin. Wala akong alam na nag se sell ng teak seedling, wala yata sa buong Pilipinas, sa ngayon.
Recently I bought some teak seeds from India through  www.ebay.com.au have a search at google. It is expensive though and add to it the freight cost and pray that there would be no problem with the delivery.
Taga saan ka. I am aware that anywhere in the Philippines mayroon mga mahogany stand, contact the owners in your locality, specially during the rain season, dami ng mga seedlings sa tabi ng mga puno.
Browse this topics on Wood Production forest sa forum na ito, there is  a Mahogany World and others who are selling mahogany seedlings. Better still get into facebook and search for Mahogany World, you will find them there.
Contact your local DENR, they can be of help, some even give free mahogany seedlings.
May I suggest that ask and read many materials about tree planting search ka sa google, get into facebook, many tree planters group are in facebook. Or the local community you come from, specially if you come from the province. This way you will be able to gather information. I wish the other members can give you information.

zildjian wrote:
majoy wrote:

hindi ko po matandaan sa gmelina but it is a bit lower than mahogany. check nyo na lang po sa sulit.com.ph meron po dun lumber supplier add na taga Mindanao.

actually ung per cubic meter ng gmelina for the last 3 years is much much higher compared sa mahogany (for 2012 almost 3x)....check nyo ung 2003 to 2012 domestic saw log prices ng timber sa pinas..example below

ACACIA     9,229.00
ALMON     4,900.00
APITONG     3,000.00
BAGRAS     3,000.00
BAGTIKAN     3,800.00
BINUANG     3,000.00
FALCATA     2,336.00
GMELINA     7,632.00
LAUAN     4,300.00
LOKTOB     3,000.00
MAHOGANY     2,500.00
MARANG     3,000.00
TANGILE     3,800.00

ACACIA     5,316.00
ALMON     3,800.00
APITONG     3,650.00
BAGRAS     3,000.00
BAGTIKAN     4,900.00
BINUANG     3,000.00
DANGULA     3,500.00
FALCATA     2,353.25
GMELINA     6,884.00
LAUAN     6,157.50
LOKTOB     3,000.00
MAHOGANY     5,471.25
MALUGAY     3,500.00
MARANG     3,000.00
MAYAPIS     6,000.00
NATO     4,500.00
TANGILE     4,900.00
TOOG     3,950.00
YAKAL     6,000.00

jvestudio wrote:

I called them, they have no stock of teak seeds or seedlings. mahirap daw patubuin.

ung Marsse plantation available ung mahogany at teak seeds...kaso wala na silang stock...next year pa around feb to april...nakabili na ako ng 3 kilos mahogany seeds last month...then next year, bili ulit ako para mas mataas ung germination rate both for mahogany at teak...

treeshadow wrote:

actually ung per cubic meter ng gmelina for the last 3 years is much much higher compared sa mahogany (for 2012 almost 3x)....check nyo ung 2003 to 2012 domestic saw log prices ng timber sa pinas..example below

ACACIA     9,229.00
ALMON     4,900.00
APITONG     3,000.00
BAGRAS     3,000.00
BAGTIKAN     3,800.00
BINUANG     3,000.00
FALCATA     2,336.00
GMELINA     7,632.00
LAUAN     4,300.00
LOKTOB     3,000.00
MAHOGANY     2,500.00
MARANG     3,000.00
TANGILE     3,800.00

ACACIA     5,316.00
ALMON     3,800.00
APITONG     3,650.00
BAGRAS     3,000.00
BAGTIKAN     4,900.00
BINUANG     3,000.00
DANGULA     3,500.00
FALCATA     2,353.25
GMELINA     6,884.00
LAUAN     6,157.50
LOKTOB     3,000.00
MAHOGANY     5,471.25
MALUGAY     3,500.00
MARANG     3,000.00
MAYAPIS     6,000.00
NATO     4,500.00
TANGILE     4,900.00
TOOG     3,950.00
YAKAL     6,000.00

Hi, newbie here. nasa research stage pa lang ako. I am planning to plant by next year. So far, gmelina is the most feasible from what I've heard. However, sa pinakita nyong prices, ganito po ba talaga kalaki ang volatily ng prices ng mga yan? esp gmelina and mahogany... Halos kalahati ang binaba ng price ng mahogany?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BbKuu0U6WO4/UnOsLGTnSxI/AAAAAAAABiI/igUrNd3XVm0/w308-h325-no/Capture.JPG

Dear Tree Growers,
I am new in this Forum, but glad to know many people interested in growing trees, both for economic and environmental investments. There are queries if it pays to plant trees and what species should be most planted.  I am not a forester but wish to share my inputs as a pulp and paper engineer. Sustainably-managed plantation forestry is now the backbone of responsible pulp and paper production in developed countries like US, Canada, Scandinavia, New Zealand and South Africa; and developing countries like Chile, Brazil, China, Thailand, and Indonesia. The Phils. is far behind in reforestation and development of industry-driven tree plantations. In our med- and long-term Roadmap submitted to DTI/BOI last year, the local paper industry proposed among others to upgrade from purely wastepaper-based industry to that which can
•    meet our lack of local-sourced virgin pulp,
•    enable local paper mills to produce high-value pulp and paper grades like specialty fine papers, liquid packaging, disposable sanitaries, and high-performance printing, packaging and tissue papers,
•    make itself a harbinger of economic development, a catalyst for jobs generation in provincial areas, and stewards  of sustainable forest resources.

To address these goals, it was recommended that the country should have its own forest-based paper pulp industry, specifically at least one pulpmill based on tree plantations and agro-forestry. The pulp and paper industry offers a large market for plantation pulpwood grown in industrial forest plantations, private tree farms, and community-based forestry. It can economically reward projects and programs that reforest our denuded lands. This industry is not so particular about log sizes and mechanical wood properties and can even scavenge plantation thinnings and logging wastes, either as pulpwood chips or fuel for its power plants.

The best species to plant for pulpwood are the fast-growing acacia mangium, eucalyptus, and gmelina because their cellulose pulps have good papermaking qualities, their pulp yield per ton wood is high, and their biomass harvest (wood density) per hectare planted is high. Falcata also yields good papermaking fiber but has low wood density, thus it can be grown primarily for lumber or pulped using high-yield technologies like semi-chemical or chemi-thermomechanical process (used in making coated printing paper and sanitary disposables).

The paper industry also regards tropical long-fiber wood species (like Benguet, Mindoro and Caribbean pines) highly valuable materials for strong pulp and paper. 

I encourage you to intensify planting trees and go for the species mentioned above. Tree plantations for paper pulp do not have to be mono-culture. Wide areas of mangium cultivated for a pulpmill should be interspersed by a mosaic of mahogany or other species of the natural forest (diversity corridors for wildlife). Bagras/eucalypt plantations can be criss-crossed by patches or lines of gmelina and ipil-ipil (serving as windbreaks or firebreak). Smallholder tree farms can practice interplanting the mangium and bagras with coffee, abaca, and fruit-bearing trees. There is no single-specie holding exclusive choice as tree-planting material for reforestation; and it does not have to be mahogany only, esp. if one wants to harvest early. Five- to 6-year old trees of the abovementioned species are good enough for pulp and paper mills.

Lastly but not least, the pulp and paper industry by becoming an integral part of the country’s tree planting and forest perpetuation programs hopes to contribute significantly in reducing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere that lead to global warming. The more plantation forests we establish and sustain in dynamic, productive manner, the more carbon dioxide we sequester back into the trees planted and grown continuously in dynamic cycles.