Re: highest rice yield per hectare achieved in the philippines

hi all,

i would like to compile a record of the highest per hectare yield from each municipality in the philippines. must be from at least one hectare field, not partial.

also some of the non chemical methodology used

we should all be interested in this for purposes of rice self sufficiency for our nation.

would appreciate information even anecdotal (kwentohan) second hand from municipal agriculturists provided the name of the farmer and barangay is mentioned.

hi,

would you believe more than 300 cavans per hectare is possible?

The Future In A Grain

THE Primer Farm School (PFS) will open on June 15 in San Jose City,  Nueva Ecija, with a simple aim: Let us export rice in three years. If this appears to be too ambitious, let us make it in four.  In between the horrendous lack of rice, which also causes the price of corn grits to soar, is the attainment of rice self-sufficiency in three years.
Central to this aspiration is the Rice Profit Protocol (RPP) developed by inventor Alfonso G. Puyat and farmer Fernando Gabuyo Jr.
What is the RPP?
It is a rice methodology that allows a dramatic increase in rice yields with a minimal addition of inputs (slightly less than P2,000) to the regular expenses now incurred in the production in irrigated rice fields.
It may be used on all rice varieties, although results will differ according to rice-variety potential. These high yields are sustainable and require just the same amount of fertilizer as the regular rice-growing practice.
The protocol involves three processes and their special inputs:
1. Improve soil texture and productivity by the on-site rapid production of organic fertilizer from the unburn plant residues, old roots and dry straw through the application of Philor Xemas probiotic degrader.
2.Boost the plant’s productivity by foliar application of Philo ANAA, a plant-growth promotant and vitamin solution together with chelated secondary and microelements that immediately increase the plant’s overall growth rate, and its rate of utilizing externally supplied plant-growth inputs.
3.Apply Philor X-R-C inputs-soluble silicon to reinforce plant structure to minimize lodging. Additionally, the protocol requires the practice of a 10-day cycle of intermittent irrigation after the first week of rice-seedling transplant.
Gabuyo, a marine engineering graduate, served on an interisland ship before turning full-time farmer. He has had a number of awards as a farmer.
Puyat, son of the late Senate President Gil Puyat, graduated with a business administration degree at the University of the Philippines. He took up his MBA at Wharton, and later became a bank and insurance executive. But agricultural and scientific research has been his passion since his collegiate days, aside from photography.
What drew Puyat’s attention to Gabuyo was the latter’s winning one of the top prizes in the Bigante Higanteng Ani Award given by Bayer Crop Science.
Gabuyo, with a harvest of 221 cavans per hectare, was second only to Eulogio Guira of Davao del Sur with 227.
Through San Jose City agriculturist Rogelio Malunay, a link was made between the inventor and the farmer.
In the 2005 dry-season planting, Gabuyo, using Puyat’s inputs and methodology, harvested 337 cavans per hectare, 100 more than the Mindanao champion. There was a successive increase in yields: 346 in 2006, 354 in 2007.
In 2006 this writer suggested to Puyat and Gabuyo organizing a training outfit or a school so that the RPP could be spread nationwide. If a sizeable number of farmers adopting the RPP could be documented, dissemination would be faster.
Planting rice never fun
Planting rice is never fun, according to a song learned in grade school. But a tinge of romance can still be attached to it.
In April 2006 there was moonlight, no roses, but a plenitude of rice sheaves. From late afternoon and then the fall of evening up to daybreak, when the moonlight spread like a pale yellow carpet on Gabuyo’s field, I helped pile the rice sheaves for the threshing preparatory to the measuring and weighing to be made in the afternoon of the following day.
Extra hands are hired in Nueva Ecija during the peak of harvest. The same held true, was truer in Gabuyo’s field.
The hired hands knew there was a scheduled measuring and weighing. Haggling for higher wages, they started work late in the morning, rested before noon, resumed work past 2 in the afternoon.
Every hand was needed to help pile the sheaves. All of us were tinted with moonlight and, resting to the sound of irrigation water, I thought of a training outfit or school. No name came to mind. Primer only settled, like a homing butterfly, this April. Primer would be an appropriate name and it was the title of my column in the Philippine Collegian many years ago.
It was the recent rice crisis and the threat of traditional rice exporters not to sell rice to the Philippines—softening only after we agreed to buy rice at almost four times the regular price—that prompted the decision to push through with the school.
From Misamis Oriental, where I joined the Higaonons from the provinces of Agusan del Sur, Agusan del Norte, Misamis Oriental and Bukidnon in their Domalondong, or tribal gathering, to Cebu, where our members of the Toledo Green Coconut Farmers Association covering the cities of Toledo and Naga and the municipalities of Pinamungahan, Aloguinsan,Barili, Balamban, Asturias and Tuburan are into coconut replanting and intercropping (initially cacao), I proceeded to Puyat’s house in Forbes Park.
We agreed, difficulties, limitations and all, that it was time for us to shed our anxieties and push through with the school.
Puyat and I drove to San Jose City, passing a cornfield in Pampanga where the corn with the Puyat input was revealing more ears. We talked to Gabuyo and his wife Erlinda. The consensus was that it was time to do away with our trepidations. No one could be more daunted by the task than we are.
The three of us met with Councilor Resty Domingo, chairman of the agriculture committee of the city council, and OIC city agriculturist Amarillo. They said if we were that determined, we have the blessings of Mayor Marivic Violago Belena.
The format of the school is very simple. The farmer-trainees will work hands-on in Gabuyo’s farm and the farms of his farmer-neighbors who have adopted the RPP. This will be for a full planting season (four months) beginning June 15, with 30 to 60 participants. There will be another set for the dry-planting season.
To maximize their four-month stay, the farmer-trainees will be taught vegetable gardening. Gabuyo, using East West seeds technology, the usual fertilizer and Puyat’s input, is earning P100,000 per season from his 600-sq-m lot near his rice field.
They will be taught freshwater-fish culture.
San Jose City is near Muñoz. They will be introduced to the Philippine Carabao Center and the Small Ruminant Department of the Central Luzon State University.
The main focus is rice, but it will not harm to make of each farmer-trainee a compleat farmer.
The Primer Farm School plans to organize a “300 Club” for those harvesting 300 cavans/hectare and above; and a “200 Club” for those harvesting 200 cavans/hectare but below 300.
In the municipality of Santo Domingo, which is near San Jose City, one prized farmer this April harvested 260 cavans/hectare, from 246 last year. Another harvested 237, from 215 last year. If there was a link and they had adopted the RPP, they would be prime candidates for the 300 Club.
The Primer Farm School has invited a number of first-termers in the House of Representatives, especially those with constituents with irrigated rice fields to help end the anxieties about the rice crisis by sending one or two farmer-trainees to the PFS on June 15.
It’s a small step for a big dream, but knowing that the alternative—widespread hunger and unrest—is beyond contemplation might be just enough to push the effort to reality.

*Mr. Osorio has been a development advocate-cum-social scientist for nearly four decades, tirelessly advocating the mix of policy, technology and people empowerment to help communities hurdle natural and man-made barriers and attain prosperity, in all the communities that his peripatetic mission has taken him—from Central Luzon farmers fighting drought, to upland former kaingeros, to seaweed gatherers among the Badjaos opening their bank accounts for the first time. For feedback, he may be e-mailed at wawell2004@yahoo.com.

you can get more data from SL Agritech Corp, PhilRice, Sygenta etc.

Hybrid varieties can make RP self sufficient in rice
By Rudy A. Fernandez
Sunday, April 20, 2008
STA. CRUZ, Laguna — At least 800,000 hectares planted to hybrid rice (HR) can make the Philippines self-sufficient in this cereal.
This was asserted by Henry Lim Bon Liong, chairman chief executive officer of SL Agritech Corp., the country’s top hybrid rice producer.
ST Agritech maintains a 40-ha research and demonstration (R&D) farm at Barangay Ogong in this capital town situated about 100 kilometers southeast of Manila. It also has 700-ha production area in Lupon, Davao Oriental.
Lim stressed hybrid rice’s potential in making the country self-sufficient in this crop to officers of the Philippine Agricultural Journalists, Inc. (PAJ) who visited SL Agritech’s R&D farm here recently.
At present, according to government statistics, average yield from inbred (ordinary) rice varieties is only 2.8 tons per hects. Average yield of a hybrid rice variety is 6.5 t/ha.
Of the country’s 4.2-ha farmlands devoted to rice, only about 300,000 ha are planted to hybrid varieties.
The country is expected to produce 17.3 million metric tons of palay (11.2 million mt milled rice) this year but the requirement is 12.1 million mt.
Lim told the agriculture journalists that those planting the three percent — 8M hybrid rice variety bred by his corporation have been averaged 8-10 t/ha. But there are exceptional farmers who have been harvesting much more.
One is Adelaida Badong of Baao, Camarines Sur, who reaped 344 cav/ha in 2005. Another, Fernando Gabuyo of San Jose City, Nueva Ecija, produced 355 cav/ha.
Once, Lim told the journalists, a team of SL Agritech, while on to Cagayan Valley, spotted a tricycle bearing a small streamer on which were emblazoned the words “Katas ng SL — 8M”. When interviewed, the driver said he had earned from planting the hybrid rice variety enough to buy two tricycles and to purchase two more hectares of ricefields to add up to his original two ha.
But a few others have become millionaires because of HR. Example is a young farmer who netted P115,000/ha in his 18-ha farm.
In the latest cropping season, some farmers in Talavera, Nueva Ecija, who planted HR also average 10 /tha.
Lim asked the government, with media’s support, to intensify its information program to increase farmers’ awareness on the potentials of hybrid rice.
As it is, he said, more than 90 percent of the country’s farmers have not chosen to plant HR for one reason or another.
Moreover, there are those who continue to criticize the HR program.
Lim did not elaborate, but from this corner’s observations, the disparaging words came from the usual government critics and from farmers themselves who tried the technology but failed because they did not meticulously follow the recommendations in growing hybrid rice.
Once, a Southeast Asian group accused the government of implementing the Hybrid Rice Commercialization Program “even in the absence of proofs that it does increase farmers’ yields.”
A daily newspaper (not The STAR) also had headlined a news report branding hybrid rice as “fit only for animals.”
But the “swivel-chair critics” conveniently glossed over success stories.
“Hybrid rice production is not a lazy man’s job,” outstanding San Mateo (Isabela)) HR farmer Honorato Maningas stressed  when interviewed by researchers Imelda Olvida, Charisma Love Gado, and Salembai Abdullah of the Department of Agriculture-Philippine Rice Research Institute (DA-PhilRice).
“Some of them (other farmers) are lazy, stubborn, and impatient,” he said.
San Mateo farmer Flor Ramento also volunteered: “My highest yield in inbred rice was only 120 cav/ha. With hybrid, my highest yield was 180 cav/ha. From my profit, I was able to buy farm machines. More important, my children finished schooling (accounting and nursing) through my earnings from hybrid rice.”
Down south, Renerio Guevarra of Digos City, Davao del Sur, told PhilRice: “As long as  I use hybrid rice, I get a yield of at least 13 t/ha.
Badong also advised: “Mas maganda  siguro kung subukan muna nilang (critics) magtanim ng hybrid rice para ma-experience din nila. Kaya siguro nila nasasabi yung mga negatibong bagay na yan kasi hindi pa nila nasusubukan. Nakikinig lamang sila siguro sa sabi-sabi.”

Good day to All:

I'm an OFW and have my relatives in the Philippines into farming.  I was trying to convince them to plant this Hybrid Rice eventhough i don't have any knowledge of this but i firmly believe that this will give us a big yield and profit.

My question is, where can we get this Hybrid rice?  and how much will this cost?

Thanks and more power to all of you!

Sir King Alas you can try in PhilRice, IRRI, sa los banos po lahat yun, sa website nila makikita na po ung price. We have the same problem po kasi samin sa Atimonan ung mga farmers dun din sa inani nilang palay kumukuha ng bagong binhi kaya hindi ganun kaganda ang yield, ang katuwiran po nila may kamahalan pag bumili pa sila ng bagong binhi. Hindi rin po kasi recommended na gamitin ulit ung mga hybrid matapos mo siyang anihin. Mahal na po ang pataba at wala silang pondo na pampanimula.

Hi Terence,

Yan po ang problema sa mga farmers. Namamahalan sila sa mga binhi e kaunti lang naman ang idadagdag nila sa bayad. Marami pa din ang gumagamit ng good seeds. Pero kung dagdag lang sila ng kunti, maski certifieds seeds lang ang mabibili. Mababawi naman nila iyon at me malaking patong pa.

:)

to whom it may concern, may katanungan lang po kasi ako.easy to market po ba ang highbrid rice? empresive po ang HR but ano po ba nman ang dis-advantage ng HR,im sure mayroon gusto ko pong  malaman at ng mapag handaan,sakali mang mag umpisa po ako.salamat po at uma asang dinggin ang mensahe ko,GOD BLESS at more power sa website na ito

Lostboy ayun sa mga farmers na nakausap ko matakaw sa pataba ang mga hybrid rice and it requires great attention  in seed and seedling management. Kailangan robust ang kanilang seedlings and their roots must be fully developed and should remain intact to minimize transplanting shock. Kelangan un para mafully utilize ang hybrid vigor nya para mas maraming uhay ng palay na tutubo.

I AM IMPRESSED WITH THE YIELD OF SL 8 HYBRID RICE WRITTEN IN MANY PUBLICATIONS.I HAVE READ A LOT ABOUT IT I THINK HYBRID VARIETIES IS THE SOLUTION FOR RICE SELF SUFFICIENCY.I WANT TO TRY PLANTING SL8 BUT I DONT KNOW WHERE TO BUY THE SEEDS.MANY FARMERS WERE RELUCTANT TO TRY THIS BECAUSE THEY USES OLD FARMING PRACTICES WE NEED NEW GENERATION OF FARMERS IN THIS COUNTRY WILLING TO TRY NEW TECH.I AM FROM SAN MATEO ISABELA AND I AM LOOKING FOR HYBRID SEEDS LIKE THIS TO PLANT ANYBODY WHO CAN PROVIDE ME WITH PEOPLE WHERE I CAN BUY WHICH IS NEAR MY PLACE.MY EMAL IS rbcorpuzph@yahoo.com and my contact is 09058898211/09212570590

sir try nyo pong tong link..  http://www.sterlingpaper.com/slagri/february2006.html
google nyo na lang din po philrice..  gudluck po sa pagtatanim nyo..  sl 8 din po ang itatanim namin sa quezon this coming season.

300 cavans of 50kg/cavan of harvest for 1 hectare of land is ridiculous.

In Negros, I have discussed this topic to farmers and What they had told and challenge me " Please demonstrate and use my 1 hectare of land and provide everything to show to them. if you can harvest 300 cavans in 1 hectare, they just want the 100 cavans and the 200 cavans will be yours."

Who will take this challenge here by using the Hybrid Rice Variety.

Because for them they still want to use the in breed Variety which produce 100cavans/hectare.

Hi all,

Just to give you update.

We have an average yield of 68 cavans/ha this cropping using natural farming system. To compare that, my uncle, who is farming the same area had a 73 cavans per hectare using the conventional way. The area are both 3 hectares.

Please do the math with regards to expenses incurred. I have spenta total of not more than Php20,000.00 for the 3ha farm.

Our farms in our locality, turned out to below this season. Also, our low yield is attributed to the transition from conventional to natural farming. I am optimistic that next harvest will be a lot higher.

Best regards,
ElmerB

what do you mean by cavan here? cavan of rice po ba itong tinutukoy nyo per hectare?
thanks,
RmR

www.agriculture.ph
www.alaminoscity.gov.ph
yahoo groups (goatraisers, cattleraisers, rarefruit-ph, tubanggatong, vermiculture_owner)

tsaka per harvest po ba iyong 300 "cavans"/hectare? interested lang po ako kasi sa amin sa Alaminos City, we harvested around 170 sacks of palay sa 1 1/2 hectare. rainfed po ang palayan namin dun.

salamat po uli sa makakasagot sa katanungan ko...
RmR

www.agriculture.ph
www.alaminoscity.gov.ph
yahoo groups (goatraisers, cattleraisers, rarefruit-ph, tubanggatong, vermiculture_owner)

Hi,

Cavans here might mean the yield per hectare.

ElmerB

18 (edited by Ross dela Cruz Dec 11 2008 08:14:30)

Last harvest season, farmers who planted hybrid variety have good harvest in our place. They have positive attitude towards the new planting technique of hybrid rice. However, biglang tumaas ang presyo ng abono, umabot ng P1,700 per sack??????

Cavan is a measurement, 4 na balde = one cavan, approximately 42-47 kls.

hi ross
       san k s laguna?may binebenta k b bgas,magkano at ano variety????

chinA,

My rice mill is located in Brgy. Taytay, Nagcarlan, Laguna. Ang harvest last season ay Angelica, Dinorado at Hybrid type, kaya itong type na ito ang available na pang benta. P1,500 per sack, 50 kls.

You can contact me at: wintuha@yahoo.com

Thanks

21 (edited by Olidoki Dec 31 2008 02:14:33)

If anyone is interested to increase their harvest by 30-100%, reduce fertilizer use by 30-50%, reduce pesticide/herbicide/moluscide by 30-50% and kill about 99% of the kuhol before you transplant your seedling, just contact me.

If you have a farmers cooperative, we can do a free seminar on how to achieve the above using our products.

Distributors are welcome anywhere in the country. Initial capital investmest is only 2k with high quality products(non-agri). For details, just contact me.   

Products are with 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. Good for palay, corn, vegestables, fruits, sugarcane, jathropa, ornamental plants, etc...
Already used all over the Philippines and in 30+ countries.

I am based in Calamba/Sta Cruz, Laguna.

Thank you! :)

Sabi ni rman 717:

1. Improve soil texture and productivity by the on-site rapid production of organic fertilizer from the unburn plant residues, old roots and dry straw through the application of Philor Xemas probiotic degrader.
2.Boost the plant’s productivity by foliar application of Philo ANAA, a plant-growth promotant and vitamin solution together with chelated secondary and microelements that immediately increase the plant’s overall growth rate, and its rate of utilizing externally supplied plant-growth inputs.
3.Apply Philor X-R-C inputs-soluble silicon to reinforce plant structure to minimize lodging. Additionally, the protocol requires the practice of a 10-day cycle of intermittent irrigation after the first week of rice-seedling transplant.

In the 2005 dry-season planting, Gabuyo, using Puyat’s inputs and methodology, harvested 337 cavans per hectare, 100 more than the Mindanao champion. There was a successive increase in yields: 346 in 2006, 354 in 2007.

Bakit kaya mahina ang reaction sa Gabuyo Puyat method?

Kulang ba sa paniwala ang mga rice farmers natin na maaring makakuha ng 300 plus cavans na palay per hectare?

Compatible po kaya ang hybrid rice using vermicompost at vermi-tea lang ang gagamitin?

Alex F. Gonzales
http://alxfarm.multiply.com/

24 (edited by gpbaron May 16 2009 19:09:52)

The term "Xemas" mentioned above is probably the same as or another version of "EMAS" which also means EM Activated Solution or Effective Microorganisms Activated Solution. EM or Effective Microorganisms were discovered by a Japanese scientist many years ago. Many people around the world have tried it & attest that it works.

Many local entrepreneurs sell EMAS. Some buy genuine EM from the local authorized distributor in Alabang; "activate the solution" (where 1 liter of EM becomes 30 liters of EMAS) & repackage the product. If you buy EMAS instead of making your own, make sure it was made recently from original EM stock. Activated EM has a limited shelf life so it is the better if it is fresh or newly made. I would also be careful in buying or using EMAS made from previously prepared EMAS on the premise that activated microorgansms multiply indefinitely. For more information see: http://emrpi.com/site/index.php?option= … p;Itemid=1

[b}IMO[/b] or Indigenous Microorganisms is another concoction that works like EM except that microorganisms are native. They can be made or sourced locally. A popular IMO can be made by cooking rice & leaving it in a covered container & in a cool spot for 3 days until whitish moldy filaments have formed. For more information see: http://rverzola.wordpress.com/2008/10/3 … nisms-imo/.

FIND OUT more about CACAO BEAN Chocolates at www.facebook.com/BeanToBarDarkChocolates & see my other posts about BioGAS, the Plant ROOT Injector & Harvesting RAIN

d2 po sa amin, ang isan cavan would weigh 60 to 70 kls mhrp ang farm to market road. atleat sa 1 hec, 80 to 100 cavan ang harvest.. kng meron man po na HR, marami po gusto na mag try kaso walng supply khit inquire pa kmi sa DA.. belong po kmi sa 3rd class municipality.. one reason din po cguro un na wlang HR d2 sa lugar nmin.. alibi lagi ng DA walng supply.. may point din cla ksi corn capital of the philippines lugar nmin wer in fact wla na supply ng mais.. wat a shame....

pigzilla101@yahoo.com

So much information to take in here. Ang dami, so useful.

gilvyn wrote:

300 cavans of 50kg/cavan of harvest for 1 hectare of land is ridiculous.

In Negros, I have discussed this topic to farmers and What they had told and challenge me " Please demonstrate and use my 1 hectare of land and provide everything to show to them. if you can harvest 300 cavans in 1 hectare, they just want the 100 cavans and the 200 cavans will be yours."

Who will take this challenge here by using the Hybrid Rice Variety.

Because for them they still want to use the in breed Variety which produce 100cavans/hectare.

sir gilvyn, alam mo ba kung saan makapagpa -test ng lupa?
yung taniman ng nanay ay wala na talagang mapiga/ani. tulad na lamang ng huling anihan, sa 2 hektarya ay 60 cavans lang ang nakuha....
maraming salamat po.

hi i was wondering what the exact procedure used to get a yield of 300 cavans/h or something like that? where can the philor xemas, ANAA, X-rice, and miracle booster be bought or ordered? are there any other subsitutes that can provide the same results?

29 (edited by nagomi Jun 11 2011 17:42:52)

Thanks for your information

Entrepreneur Interview

30 (edited by janiero Sep 16 2012 09:48:21)

romer wrote:

tsaka per harvest po ba iyong 300 "cavans"/hectare? interested lang po ako kasi sa amin sa Alaminos City, we harvested around 170 sacks of palay sa 1 1/2 hectare. rainfed po ang palayan namin dun.

salamat po uli sa makakasagot sa katanungan ko...
RmR

Anong seeds po gamit nyo?