Re: Organic swine raising

Im interested in organic pig farming. I have been reading about it but i would like to know more about its feasibility from people who have actually tried it or is practicing it. Does it really mean that the pigs are 100% antibiotics free?

What is your take also on using probiotics as supplement or as alternative to antibiotics? There are many products and many claims that its hard to discern which is true. Any insight regarding will be very appreciated. Any commercial probiotic products you have tried and can recommend?

Whats your location?

I have tried it but I didnt get a good result due to poor management and wrong selection of breeds both piglets and sows... Am saying this not to discourage you but just to make you aware of the mistakes I made which are:

Poor management: cant entrust it with anyone who doesnt believe in what you believe in(even family)

Inadequate supply of enzymes : I started out with 30 piglets and 3 sows, wrong move in my part, so the components of NF I produced were not enough, including the feeds...

I had a 40% loss in my first try but I console myself by the fact that I proved it doesnt smell(the housing for NF swine)

I gave it a break and am into free range chicken at the moment but will be going back to the venture in a few months...

Send me an email and I'll forward some helpful infO...

God Bless

instead of being a husband to the land we have become pimps, we take and give nothin in return...

hello. this is andry lim from davao city. our advocacy is to spread the "gospel" of natural farming in the philippines. send me an email if you need more information about natural farming piggery. if your from davao city our farm is in joaquin biao, calinan district davao city. you can email me if you want an update on feed formulation.

bless us all

natural farming is the best way to achieve top quality and yield.

To Ryan,
Here's the recipe we teach, then later on you can design your own feed formulation. First you have to plant first the legumes (rensonii, indigofera, tricantera gigantea or madre de agua) and vegetable plants. Remember our baboy is a vegetarian)

Formula for IMO Pig Food
Ratio: 100 parts plant material / 4 parts sugar / 1 part salt

·    Obtain edible plant material (any quantity). Examples include water spinach (kangkong), fresh grasses, banana stems, etc. Consult with locals for ideas for local, native options.
·    Chop plant material into bite sized pieces, mix with sugar and salt, place in plastic or ceramic bucket.
·    Cover with PLASTIC sheet and tie in place. This is an anaerobic process that pickles the material.
·    Food is ready to feed in 5-7 days. It will have a good smell and sour taste. pag mabaho ibig sabihin hindi mo natangalan ng lupa. kaya dapat wash and dry or ipagpag. basta make sure walang lupa. madaling mapanis.
·    Can use this food for up to 50% of the ration.
Example pig ration from Thailand and what we are using today in our farm. Because we plant a lot of legumes and vegetables kaya hindi na kami gumagamit ng commercial feeds 100% natural feeds ang pakain namin.

50% IMO food (recipe above)
25% rice bran D1
25% commercial pig food
Add water to make a slop. FFJ (papaya or tundan saging/ FPJ banana trunk.

Pigs should reach market weight in 3-4 months.

Tips:
Introduce new food in small quantity and increase % over time.
Use at least 2 containers for IMO food production. Feed from one container while you fill the other and wait for it to pickle. From this recipe pwede ka ng gumawa ng sarili feed formulation according sa material na available. we put coconut charcoal to our pigs they love it! Hope this will help you reduced your cost feeds.

plant first the legumes (rensonii, indigofera, tricantera gigantea or madre de agua) and vegetable plants. Remember our baboy is a vegetarian)

Sir andjos ano po ang mga legumes na ito?

ung 100parts plant material, 4 parts sugar, 1 parts salt pano po ang mixing nito. ano po ang ratio.

thanks

allan emmanuel
cordon, Isabela
e-mail: celrusso@yahoo.com

legumes kapamilya ng sitaw...may pods.
100 kg. / 4 kilo molasses or muscuvado / 1 kilo salt 
this is a good for grower/ finisher feed replacement
don't forget to put 1 kilo crushed coconut charcoal
hope your familiar in making FFP/FPJ

hello allan,

i try to email you the latest practice, recipe of Dr. Cho during our workshop in Korea. the key to natural farming swine success other than feed is a well ventilated and solar power house and the bed (meaning may pumapasok na araw beddings and of course you have to have a feedlot or vegetable garden for your household and the pigs. Ideally, 300 sq.m of feedlot for 10 heads. ang ibang plants kagaya ng malunggay itanim sa bakud.

if your in Isabela.  get in touch with the world vision office and look for Mr. Cezar Bautista and try to ask kailan ang lecture niya dyan. i have his number but i have to ask permission first.

thank you.

masaya at masaganang pagsasaka.

btw: we are okay here in davao city.

Greetings sir andjoz!!!

its a privilege that we have you in this forum. thanks a lot.
i am new in hog raising. i want to do it in organic way soon with your vital informations and effort of helping us.

thank you again and more power!!!
(i am from isabela luzon sir, baka basilan po ang alam nyo, hehehe)

wala po akong nababalitaang farm dito na hograising through organic feeding. kaya i want to start one.

allan

allan emmanuel
cordon, Isabela
e-mail: celrusso@yahoo.com

I know most of you cannot go to manila and take the seminar. i take advantage this forum to properly disseminate natural farming system by module. but i need assistance in posting picture... email ko at siya ang mag post. any volunteer. send me your email add. me and jojie my wife believes that "if we plant development and goodwill we would harvest peace and prosperity" among us. most of our farmers plant "galit at sama ng loob" kasi baon na sa 5/6 of course we don't want them to harvest gun's and bullet's. we believe the tiaong and trento story can be multiply a hundred folds kung marami lang ang magpractice at marimi rin ang magtuturo ng natural farming.

Notes:
This does not explain the Korean Natural Farming (KNF) system in detail. Please do a web search for more complete information.
One of the goals of the system is to increase organic matter and microbial activity in soil.The collected, concentrated, and stored microorganisms are aerobic and prefer cool dark storage. They do not like direct sunlight. Brown sugar is best, light brown refined sugar is good and on-food grade molasses is a good sugar substitute do not use products made from molasses in animal drinking water or feed additives.

KNF Animal Pens (Deep Bedding)

Can build above ground in areas with high water table. Kung pwedeng iwasan iwasan na lang to some areas na madalas bahain.
Can convert cement floor pens by building up. Must raise roof for air circulation. An area of 3 meters x 8 meters (24 square meters) can sustain 20-25 pigs.you need about 500 sacks of rice hull or sawdust, soil and salt ratio:100:30:03

General rule for pigs: 1 to 1.5 sq. meter per animal.

·    Dig 90 cm to 1 meter down (pigs, cows) (only dig 70 cm for chickens).
·    Obtain rice hulls 100 parts (bags).  (can substitute saw dust.)
    Local soil 30 parts (bags).
    Salt 2 Kg
·    Layer rice hulls for first 30 cm. horizontally same as making compost
·    Add dirt and salt then mix from end to end (i hope i can explain this clearly- haluin muna sa isang dulo same way sa paghalo ng semento) This is like mixing cement. It is hard work if done alone, but quick & easy if 3 or more work together.)
·    Spray bedding with IMO #1 FFJ / FPJ water solution Mix the three and then in one knapsack sprayer add five (5) lata ng sardinas as your measuring cup (approx. 16 liters).
·    Layer rice hulls, dirt and salt as above for next 30 cm.
·    Spray bedding with IMO #1 FFJ / FPJ water solution.
·    Repeat for final layer.
·    Build pen to allow good air circulation, some sun exposure, and to protect bedding from rain.
·    Spray bedding with IMO #1 FFJ / FPJ water solution weekly.

Bedding does NOT need to be removed and replaced. However, microbial activity will decrease the volume of the bedding over time necessitating the addition of bedding material. Add material at the same ratio mentioned above. Soiled bedding removed for compost production will also need to be replaced.

Add FFJ papaya / FPJ banana trunk to animal drinking water (1-2 spoons to 10 liters). Can set up a 10-20 liter plastic water tank to gravity feed a nurse valve in the pen.

andry lim

Fermented Plant Juice (FPJ) “The Mother”

Ratio of plant material to sugar is 7:3

·    Use any green leaves. Fresh, juicy, succulent leaves are best. Some suggestions are kangkong, talbos ng kamote, alugbati, malunggay, Banana trunk,stem and blossom, Water Spinach, Bamboo Shoots, Green grasses, Bamboo leaves, Duck Weed and azola. kung malapit kayo sa dagat seaweeds. whatever edible plants and vegetables you have in your area.
·    Collect all the material before sunrise or early morning light. Do Not wash the material but please remove soil kasi ang soil makes the solution madaling mapanis at bumaho.
·    Obtain 7 kg of material (you can mix different kinds of materials).
·    Mix 1.5 kg of sugar with plant material coat the plant evenly by mixing by hand.
·    Place in a plastic or clay bucket of appropriate size.Kailangan tama lang ang sukat ng matrials sa lalagyan at least 3/4 is filled.
·    Place weight on top of mixture (can use a garbage sack filled with water) you can put big rock pero wife ko gamit niya plastic.
·    Wait 5 hours. Remove weight.
·    Use 1.5 kg of sugar to layer on top of plant material (do not mix again).
·    Cover with paper, tie with string, and keep 10-15 days. It is helpful to write the date on the paper.
·    Drain the liquid and place in plastic bottles (always leave about 1/3 of bottle empty so IMOs can breathe). IMPORTANT: Do not tighten bottle lid for 2 weeks wait until tiny bubbles disappears or before bottling to allow gasses to escape and avoid a sticky explosion!
·    Plant material can be used as animal feed or compost.
·    FPJ should have a pleasant smell and sweet, tangy taste. Keeps for about one year.

Apply using 2 spoons FPJ / 10 liters water.
Apply directly to the leaves of plants when sun is not out or early morning.

Fermented Fruit Juice (FFJ) “The Father”

Ratio of fruit material to sugar is 1:1

·    Obtain 9 kgs of material. Suggested materials include banana, papaya, pineapple, mango, jack fruit, star fruit, guava, pumpkin, etc (citrus is not recommended). 
·    Recommended “best” mixture is banana 3 kg, papaya 3 kg, and pumpkin 3 kg.
·    Chop material into small pieces.
·    Mix material with 4.5 kg of sugar.
·    Place in a plastic or clay bucket of appropriate size.
·    Use 4.5 kg of sugar to layer on top of mixture (do not mix again).
·    Cover with paper and date.
·    Wait 10-15 days.
·    Drain the liquid and place in plastic bottles (always leave about 1/3 of bottle empty so IMOs can breathe). IMPORTANT: Do not tighten bottle lid for 2 weeks following bottling to allow gasses to escape and avoid a sticky explosion!
·    Solid material can be used as animal feed or compost.
·    FFJ should have a pleasant smell and sweet, tangy taste. Keeps for about one year.

Apply using 2 spoons of FFJ / 10 liters of water.
Apply directly to leaves of plants when sun is not out.
Use FFJ to reduce latrine smell.  Use 3 spoons / 10 liters while cleaning.  Pour 2-4 spoons directly down toilet to help septic system. If you have biogas do the same.

Andry Lim

bro andry,
the best ka talaga! lalo mo akong pinapa-hanga sa postings mo! It's really your calling, ano po?
God Bless you abundantly!

REINA HELENA FARM
"probably the best tasting chicken in the whole wide world"
http://reinahelenafarms.multiply.com

bro andry,
when you come over in september for your lecture, reserve the 14th, sunday for lunch ha? lunch tayo ulit sa bahay and i'll make you try the best tasting chicken in the whole wide world.
if you will bring seeds of all these plants you want us plant before we even start (i'll start my NFS baboy soon), i'll buy them from you.
too bad, i'll be in tarlac on the 13th, unless may emergency sa hospital, pero sa 14th let's meet up.
thanks!

REINA HELENA FARM
"probably the best tasting chicken in the whole wide world"
http://reinahelenafarms.multiply.com

andjoz wrote:
but i need assistance in posting picture... email ko at siya ang mag post. any volunteer. send me your email add.

sir andry,

invite ko kayo sa http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/hoghobby/ pwede nyo po post pictures and idownload ang mga files doon about natural farming mga member din po dito sa forum halos lahat ng mga member doon

salamat po

“pwede nating pag-usapan ang tungkol sa baboy pero wala sanang baboyan”

please visit http://hoghobby.yahoo.com.group i down load pictures for my last visit last november in jeju island korea and see NF swine house and native korean pigs!

helo sir andry...ask ko lng po kung papano i feed ung IMO formula mo..ung liquid lng po ba ang ibibigay or included n po ung mga gulay n mix po dun...

plants and juice mix together sa dry ingredients 50/50

could you please give me information  of training dates and place and where could we buy the planting materials of the leguims. please explain further what is coconut charcoal ? is it from tho coconut shell ?

sept13,2008 please call 6331089 ask for corrie about details. to those interested in buying flamengia,indigo and rensonii please text me 09176261955.
re: yes. coconut shell

Thank you Mr. Lim for the informations. could you please post any information about farrowing pens in natural pig farming.Is there a feed formulation for the newly farrowed sows, What about the piglets. Mr. Lim one day I'd like to see your farm, would it be possible to stay and observe the daily running of the farm? If so, what would be the arrangement. Please let me know. thank you so much.

It is made from valued oriental medicines (dried ingredients) such as cinnamon bark, angelica acutiloba, Glycyrrhiza Uralensis, etc

Oriental herbal nutrients:

Crush the raw herb about 2 kilogram, place in a clay/ceramic/glass/pot preferably with a 20 liter capacity, add 8 liters of rice wine (30 to 40 % by volume alcohol), ferment for 12 hours. Add 10 kilo gram crude sugar and mix well by hand. Ferment for four to five days. Add 8 liters of distilled rice wine to the mixture, leave for ten to fourteen days. Other types of fruit wine may be used as a substitute where local wines are available. Filter the mixture and remove the solid portions.
For human consumption. You made take 15ml a day for vitality!
For animals: Just mix 150 ml / 5 gallon of water.

Note to leave the herbal solids in the mixture as it will not release more nutrients but will start. for fresh garlic and ginger, pound by mortar (stone/wood) sugar first then wine/liquor and do the same procedure.

Please note, hand gloves are not be used at all times. Optimum temperature for fermentation is 23 to 25 degree Celsius. Stir with hand clock wise each morning. If stirred in an anti clock wise, than it is believed that it interferes with the magnetic forces of earth. Always remember to be in good mood when attending to the mixture, be in a happy mood when stirring as bad energy gets into the mixture if stirring in an angry mood.

sir andy thank you so much for the info..

GODbless

Sir andry lim, pwede po ba yung sinabi ninyo na 3meters x 8meters (24square meters) hindi na kailangan ang kahit anong concrete para matulugan?
nabasa ko po kasi sa ibang forum na meron pang swimming pool at meron pang concrete like if you have 20 fatteners you need 20square meter of bedding 10square meter of swimming pool and 10square meter of concrete. a total of 40 square meters. parang napa mahal pa yata ang gastos sir?
please clarify this statement

andjoz wrote:
Notes:
This does not explain the Korean Natural Farming (KNF) system in detail. Please do a web search for more complete information.
One of the goals of the system is to increase organic matter and microbial activity in soil.The collected, concentrated, and stored microorganisms are aerobic and prefer cool dark storage. They do not like direct sunlight. Brown sugar is best, light brown refined sugar is good and on-food grade molasses is a good sugar substitute do not use products made from molasses in animal drinking water or feed additives.
KNF Animal Pens (Deep Bedding)
Can build above ground in areas with high water table. Kung pwedeng iwasan iwasan na lang to some areas na madalas bahain.
Can convert cement floor pens by building up. Must raise roof for air circulation. An area of 3 meters x 8 meters (24 square meters) can sustain 20-25 pigs.you need about 500 sacks of rice hull or sawdust, soil and salt ratio:100:30:03
General rule for pigs: 1 to 1.5 sq. meter per animal.
·    Dig 90 cm to 1 meter down (pigs, cows) (only dig 70 cm for chickens).
·    Obtain rice hulls 100 parts (bags).  (can substitute saw dust.)
    Local soil 30 parts (bags).
    Salt 2 Kg
·    Layer rice hulls for first 30 cm. horizontally same as making compost
·    Add dirt and salt then mix from end to end (i hope i can explain this clearly- haluin muna sa isang dulo same way sa paghalo ng semento) This is like mixing cement. It is hard work if done alone, but quick & easy if 3 or more work together.)
·    Spray bedding with IMO #1 FFJ / FPJ water solution Mix the three and then in one knapsack sprayer add five (5) lata ng sardinas as your measuring cup (approx. 16 liters).
·    Layer rice hulls, dirt and salt as above for next 30 cm.
·    Spray bedding with IMO #1 FFJ / FPJ water solution.
·    Repeat for final layer.
·    Build pen to allow good air circulation, some sun exposure, and to protect bedding from rain.
·    Spray bedding with IMO #1 FFJ / FPJ water solution weekly.
Bedding does NOT need to be removed and replaced. However, microbial activity will decrease the volume of the bedding over time necessitating the addition of bedding material. Add material at the same ratio mentioned above. Soiled bedding removed for compost production will also need to be replaced.
Add FFJ papaya / FPJ banana trunk to animal drinking water (1-2 spoons to 10 liters). Can set up a 10-20 liter plastic water tank to gravity feed a nurse valve in the pen.
andry lim

Earn to Invest, Not Earn to Spend
Wealthy people think big. Poor people think small.
http://www.mmhabits.com/how-wealthy-people-think-about-money/

it's up to you to design your housing. rule of thumb is 1.5 sq.m. per pig and it should be 90cm to 1 meter depth backfilled with rice hull/sawdust/salt. some owners put swimming pools depende. the beddings will last you 10 years. backfilled ka lang after you unload your pigs.

natural farming seminar in zamboanga October 25-26,2008
BELARDS CATERING SERVICE HALL, Veterans Avenue (Tumaga Road).
Fee is 1,500 pesos per pax.
Nene Acebron 09209623673 tel.no. 062 9916578
and 9932190

to Odyssey,
Is it really true that pigs that are raised organically excretes feces that
don't smell as bad as those raised the conventional way ? Heto lang kasi
ang issue na nakakapigil sa akin na mag-venture dito. Ano ang dahilan
dito ? The kind of feed given to them ? Thank you sa info  .  .  . mauro

To Doc Andjoz, please tell me about the Tiaong and trento story. I once read somewhere here in the internet blogsite about a piggery farm in Tiaong where the pig raised ( or was it the pig pen ) dont smell and the pork fat is very thin, I think they call the place EARTHKEEPER. Would you know about this ? If you do could you give me their contact number ,or better still, their Website and/or E-mail Address ? Thanks so much, bossing.
Mau

earhtkeepers comsultancy
km 101 brgy sto nino talisay tiaong quezon
you just go there see and to smell is to believe.
tel. no. 0425457112 look for terre perez saniano
but if you want to see 1000 heads please visit us in davao.

To Doc Andjoz,
Thank you for the info about the Earthkeepers . Just being able to see
an actual working model of an already-existing organic pig farm will
suffice , I'm planning on going into this kind of venture but I wanted to
see an actual one to see if I can handle it. And thanks so much for your
invitation to visit your facilities in Davao. I'm taking this one small step
at a time. And again let me say again, you're quite a guy.

mganda layunin ninyo pra mas ganahan ang mga tao n mgbusiness sa organic hog raising sna mkarating kyo sa ibat ibang lugar tulad ng north at central luzon

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

series of natural farming seminar in Camarines Sur from March 20
to 24 in the municipality of Naga (livestock),Iriga (rice), Goa
(livestock),Ocampo ,Sangay (rice and vegetables)

Demonstration farm in bgy. comadogcadog del gallego is happy to
announce the arrival of 30 piglets and is now enjoying the tenderly
loving care of natural farmers from del gallego!

kung mero pa kayo info about oraganic/natural way farming pa send naman sa email sam_farm2008@yahoo.com.

thanks.

http://samfarm.multiply.com/
R3cBA,TAGBA,SUPRA,Pifers,UBGSRA

Hello Mr. Andry Lim,
Kumusta po kayo. Very informative po yong mga postings nyo & appreciate those info very much kasi we're planning to venture on natural farming.We are very interested in visiting your farm in Davao maybe in April or May this year, kung pwede po.

Regards & Godbless.

http://jadursonfarms.webs.com
Just Diversify to Sustain

andjoz wrote:

Use FFJ to reduce latrine smell.  Use 3 spoons / 10 liters while cleaning.  Pour 2-4 spoons directly down toilet to help septic system. If you have biogas do the same.

Sir Andry
What's the impact of the IMO's on the biogas production, any losses in gas yield to be expected? Same question for the slurry, any changes e.g. for usability as organic fertilizer to be expected?

Thanks for sharing all those brilliant hints and concepts with us !! We appreciate and learn a lot.

no it's still the same. biogas in india used kitchen waste and not manure from farm animals.

Mas maganda at menus gastos na walang concrete flooring and depth bedding system para natural na mag leach ang ihi at tubig sa ilalim ng backfilled organic materials.

mga sir buhayin natin ang thread na ito, marami na akong discussion nabasa tungkol sa organic feeding at deep bedding pro wla pa akong masyadong info tungkol sa set up pra sa mga sow. sa mga research ko ang pinapractice sa ibang bansa ay yung group sow housing at yung forrowing pen nila ay mejo complicated at mahirap pra sa mga 1st timer. may nabili na akong lupa 6000sqm gus2 ko sana puro natural at DBS. sana may mkakatulong sa akin dito. matagal2x na rin akong nag self learning at until now i still feel that i have so many things to learn

up natin ito

I have seen in the video the set up of Mr. Lim's piggery in Davao. They have 800 heads population and yes, the weaning of piglets is in group. In a growing/finishing pen, sama sama ang isang batch, yung mga ipinanganak sa isang week ang magkakasama. After 45 days, inihihiwalay na ang mga inahen, maybe 3-5 sow per batch.

Sa forrowing pen is similar sa conventional design, except that both side of the pen is deep bedding system.

For gestating sow, individual pen na DBS rin ang flooring.

Sa Flor's Garden meron pig pen na DBS ang flooring at itim ang kulay ng baboy na alaga, walang amoy ng tae at ihi ng baboy. All participants in the seminar can attest to that.

I will try to visit the model farm in Tiaong, Quezon. They are also employing the Natural Farming Method.