Re: Lanzones

Greetings! Any information about lanzones propagation? Will it thrives well in Malaybalay, Bukidnon?

Hi,

I've read in some books about Lanzones and in some articles that growing Lanzones in high elevation has a tendency to fruit with large seeds.

This was observed by a filipino agriculturists who went to  Thailand where Longkong Lanzones are being frown in Highland areas.

Just wanted you to know so that you have an idea on growing some fruit trees in Highland areas.

Why not grow Cherimoya?  you could make a profit in it because there could be niche market for you.  You are the only grower I will know in the Philippines who grows this subtropical fruit in commercial scale.  You can first grow these Cherimoya fom seeds, then select superior varieties.  You could also make a Cherimoya industry in Malaybalay.

Philippine Agriculture Blog - www.agriculture.ph

Btw, Cherimoya is considered one of the top 4 fruits in the world along with Mango, Pineapple, Mangosteen.

It also commands a high price in the market locally and export market.  In Japan if Iam not mistaken it sells $10 or higher each fruit.
Depends in the size. Cherimoya could weight a pound or two or a kilo or two.

hi gacal. i have planted some longkong in bukidnon area and they seem to be thriving very well. I got a better survival of seedling even. Propagating it is easy, depends on your budget really and how desperate you are to plant soonest. If you can affort abot 2 yrs, you can get it cheaply

Hi. Thanks for the info. But what is Cherimoya? This fruit sounds foreign to me. Do we have pratical farming tips for this fruit? Where can I buy the planting materials?

gacal

Franco,

Cherimoya is a relative of our native atis in the Annona family.  The taste is like our native atis but even better or even best among the Annona specie.  These fruits grow in sub-tropical climates like how Lychees and Longan are grown.  Cherimoya are usually big fruited not unlike our native atis which are small.

Here is a website link on how to grow Cherimoya:

http://newcrop.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/cherimoya.html

Since you're a member of the RFSP, just e-mail me your address so that I could send you seeds. We want to develop a Cherimoya Industry even its just small, important thing is we develop our countries fruit industry.

Hello. This is my address.

Mr. Franco Gacal
  Barroso Compound
  0687 Magsaysay St. Malaybalay City

I hope I can excellently grow Cherimoya.

Thanks,
Franco

Hello,
I've planted grafted lanzones in 1998. I was informed that it will fruit in 5 years time. Our lanzones is already 7 years old and we still don't see any sign that it will fruit in the next 12 months. What is the average age of a grafted lanzones/longkong fruits?

Thanks,

Franco

I am from Quezon province.  Do you think cherimoya will also grow in this area?  We have a sizeable area to plant different trees but that kind of fruit seems interesting and new.  Our area is sloppy to flat and were near coastal  waters.  We already have fruiting coconuts but half of the area is open for planting.  Would gladly receive your reply on this.  thanks.  helen

Hi,

I think i have also read this in the book of a Doctor in Mindanao  that lanzones grown in highlands have larger seeds.

However, i have also read somewhere that the size of the seeds is not a function of land elevation rather on the variety of the lanzones. He even mentioned that there are farms in laguna that are elevated and have planted lanzones.

I would like to hear from actual lanzones farmers on what is there experience on this?
what are the effects of planting lanzones in an elevated land?

thanks.

tagauma

I talked to one of the fruit experts in mindanao and was informe that the longkong variety does not  bear large seeds in even in elevated areas. Although he mentioned that old varieties especialy the local ones do have enlarge seeds in elevated areas.

Just in case you may find this information useful.

Thanks!

good day po, sir agri! i am really interested to be a part of that "Cherimoya" thing...would you be kind enough sir to send me also those seeds? i lived in southern part of mindanao.
If you don't mind, here is my complete address sir:
220 door 4 Estrada Public Market, Digos City, 8002
I am hoping to be a part of this industry. Maraming salamat at Mabuhay po kayo!

good day, i'm also interested on growing cherimoya, where can we buy planting materials, how many years will it take to fruit?

Good day!

I am interested in growing a CHERIMOYA.  It is my hobby to plant fruit trees.  I have already planted the following fruit trees, which I grow from seeds: mangosteen, oranges, lanzones, longan, langka, santol, pomelo,durian, rambutan, atis, marang, duhat....  It would be a joy to ever plant a new fruit tree specie and add into my collection of fruit bearing trees, if given the opportunity.

You can mail the seeds through this address:

MRS. CHARMIE ROSE G. MAZA
     ST. aNTHONY'S COLLEGE
     SAN ANGEL,
     5700 SAN JOSE, ANTIQUE

I'm looking forward to receive a CHERIMOYA seed from your office.  May I know how many years it would take for it to bear fruits?

Thank you very much!

Good morning, can you please tell me where i can buy Cherimoya seeds.We have a farm in Natu Rosario Batangas and i would love to grow Cherimoya in our farm.Please help.

We have a Lanzones plantation in Natu Rosario Batangas and apparently we are experiencing problems with pest(like uud)on the body of the tree.Bilog sila and when you remove the bilog from the body,you will find uud inside.This sickness makes the trunk of the tree dry and eventually dies.Can you please find a solution to this problem.There are several Lanzones plantations in our area and they are facing the same problems.Please help.

Thanks for the info. im quite interested to plant it. May i know how long will it bear fruit upon planting? Where can i get its seedlings? Im from Marikina City. Thank you very much!

agri_center wrote:

Btw, Cherimoya is considered one of the top 4 fruits in the world along with Mango, Pineapple, Mangosteen.

It also commands a high price in the market locally and export market.  In Japan if Iam not mistaken it sells $10 or higher each fruit.
Depends in the size. Cherimoya could weight a pound or two or a kilo or two.

hi, is longkong a lanzones variety or lanzones in thailand language?? i have a  lanzones tree about 4 of them. the So. Cot D.A. gave it to us as trial. they said the variety came from thailand. it is very sweet... sweeter than jolo... and its meat is denser, rubber like... could you help me in my confusion???

NO FARM, NO FOOD....

Masarap ang Mabaho.. Durian, Baboy at iba pa.. hehehe

greetings,

about longkong lanzones:
http://www.dizon-exoticfruittrees.com/lanzones/

nx nard

NO FARM, NO FOOD....

Masarap ang Mabaho.. Durian, Baboy at iba pa.. hehehe

hello, do longkong lanzones grow in isabela(cagayan valley)? what is the ideal distance between each tree? and also cherimoya, do you think it will bear fruit in this region? is there available stock in the philippines? if none, how can i import it from the united states?will it be to much of a hassle importing it specially when it reach quarintine? i just started developing a mango farm (23 hectares) and if there other opportunity for other fruits to grow in my town, im willing to coordinate with d.a.thanks.

jookjook,

yup posible magtanim ng longkong lanzones sa isabela.  katunayan sa pampanga may lanzones orchard na siguro 20-30 years old na.  Nagtanim na ako ng longkong lanzones sa pampanga ok yung performance niya.

yung cherimoya ay hindi bubunga ng maayos sa pilipinas lalo na sa mababang lugar, dapat sa may subtropical climate.

same question of jookjook, what is the ideal distance in planting lanzones.

thank you and regards,
pol

polabary,

some experts would advice 8 x 8 meters for monocropping lanzones.  and for some 5 x 5 meters for intercropping lanzones with other fruit trees.  but for some old timer fruit growers, because of lack of knowledge before on the right distance of planting they sometimes planted them much closer together. 

Some fruit growers planted lanzones 3 x 3 meters or even closer because of its vertical growth characteristics.  But I guess its much better in general a fruit tree gets the right sunlight exposure and well aerated orchard to produce good harvest.

agri_center,

thank you for the info. Would advise to plant coconut trees with the distance of 10 meters x 10 meters and lanzones in between these coconut every 5 meters distance. that would mean 100 coconut trees and about 280 lanzones trees every hectar.

agri_center,

my post is a question and not a statement, asking you if you would advise planting these two plants in one area at the distance i have mentioned before.

thank you and regards,
pol

polabary,

Yes, its ok to plant coconuts and lanzones together.  especially if coconuts is planted at 10 meters by 10 meters. plant in between lanzones and also mangosteen.  its better to be diversified these days.  :) ur in the right track. :)

Agri_center,
thank you for the confirmation about the planting distance. It is a very valuable infor for me.

kind regards,
pol

Longkong is cultivated variety (cv) of Lanzones x-Thailand. Just please be warned that there are a lot strains of longkong. You might plant the "wrong" Longkong.

Please also in our experience Longkong is best planted monocrop. I would say that planting Longkong under coconut is not good. You cannot  maximize productivity particularly the quality.

seleopoldo,

Thank you for the warning.
I think it would be useful for everybody if you can advise on how can we avoid this wrong longkong? what is the fruit characteristic of the wrong longkong?

about, how many percent from the maximum productivity will be lost if the longkong will be planted together with coconut.

thank you for sharing your valuable experienced,
kind regards,
pol

polabary wrote:

seleopoldo,

Thank you for the warning.
I think it would be useful for everybody if you can advise on how can we avoid this wrong longkong? what is the fruit characteristic of the wrong longkong?

about, how many percent from the maximum productivity will be lost if the longkong will be planted together with coconut.

thank you for sharing your valuable experienced,
kind regards,
pol

Suggest to see Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI) nearest to you. They give you more details of the "true longkong". True Longkong is originated in the southern part of Thailand, this is were you can find the best longkong.

On the maximum productivity; Actually our trees did not reached yet its maximum productivity. I guess, there's no one yet  in Philippines who had planted greater number or significant number of longkong trees (commercial plantation). At any rate, I suggest to refer you on some Thai references regarding longkong for its maximum productivity.

seleopoldo,
thank you for the reply, would you be kind enough to assist me about some thai references.

regards,
pol

polabary,

meron manual si dr. pamplona ng longkong lanzones, siya nag introduce ng thai longkong sa pinas.  so yung binebenta sa mindanao at ni ka bernie sa kanya galing. so malamang yung sa iyo ganun din. thai variety...

Agri_center,

sana nga ay yung magandang variety ang meron si dr. pamplona.

ang worried lang ako sa ngayon ay yung sinasabi ni seleopoldo na di magandang magkasama ang longkong at makapuno.

sana merong makapag-enlighten sa issue na ito.

kind regards and happy farming,
pol

polabary,

from an economic point of view and being we a thirld world country some economist prefer filipino farmers to do intercropping.

monocropping daw kasi for countries of the first world. i really dont why ganun.

but i think some economists are right.  first bakit dapat mag intercrop? lets say what happened sa bicol, ayun ubos lahat ng coconuts, destroyed there harvests because of monocropping, now what do they have? none..

what happened to the farmers who intercropped there coconut plantation with pineapple and small fruit trees that didnt get destroyed, ka-ching (harvest means income).

so maybe monocropping will get you the best quality and yield but intercropping gives you security especially philippines being a typhoon belt region.

example nalang yung citrus freeze sa california, they lost billions of dollars, but thats ok may crop insurance naman sila, but here do we have a decent crop insurance agency? we dont even practice that.

mga economists are thinking ways to farmers para hindi sila ma hassle sa pag farm and the best way is to intercrop.  I've read a book regarding this and uts really good.

yung issue regarding intercropping lanzones and coconuts, i think there maybe a relevant issue there on shading.  Kung mga coconuts mo naman ay yung dwarf varieties and not tall, I think pruning coconuts could remedy your worries on shading problem.

remember may advantage din kapag half shaded at hindi shaded yung lanzones mo. either you harvest earlier or harvest late.  kasi food production is hindered slowly in the trees when shaded so kapag shaded late din mag fruit because of delay of making food that turns to flower and lastly to fruit.

polabary,

also in fruit farming it also depends on the place, one suggestion maybe good for there practice or place but not good for one place.

mindanao is dubbed as a tropical paradise for planting fruit trees because first they dont have typhoons.  they could do monocrop without worries...

so different strokes for different folks...

agri_center,
thank you uli.
regards,
pol

agri_center

im a novice in farming and really needs a lot of help. I have a parcel of land in Baler Aurora that i am planning to plant with fruit bearing trees. can you give me names of fruit trees that best suit our place?

thank you
terence

terence,

Well Aurora is a coconut province and has a weather and climate good for fruit bearing trees such as Lanzones, Durian, Mangosteen, Rambutan, in fact you can intercrop these if you have a coconut orchard.

I do not advice you to plant mangoes in Aurora for the reason na its rainy in your place.  But it is possible. :) 

One good thing is you plant fruit trees such as Rambutan, Mangosteen, Durian, Lanzones is you can supply fruits in Central Luzon and in Metro Manila. 

Look maraming Viajeros ng coconut papunta sa central luzon, isipin mo kung yung halos ng coconut plantation sa Aurora ay may intercrop ng mga ganitong fruit bearing fruit trees. Doble kita ng mga coconut farmers kasi isang biyahe nalang.  Just think of it. :)

I think Senator Angaras coconut plantation in Aurora is now planted  with these kind of fruits.   

Also I avoiding you to plnat mangoes because of the low price of it.