Re: Wind breaker trees

Hi,

I'd like to if Mahogany and Neem trees are good wind breaker for a Exotic Fruit farm? Also, where can I find seedlings or much better if tree nurseries of these trees in Rosario, Batangas and how much is the cost per tree? I'm planning to plant it before I could start planting lonzones, rambutan and mangosteen in a 4 hectare coconut farm. Maybe 4 meters apart is enough in between trees.

Please advise.

Thanks,

:) Frutstarter

The truth shall set yor free!!!

mahogany is not a good wind breaker. the branches can even break during strong winds and the tree can be topled down. neem tree has no reputation yet as a good wind breaker, perhaps because of its small and fine leaves and relatively shallow roots. i would suggest that you put up hedges of kakawate or madre de cacao, ipil ipil or tuba-tuba and you can plant fruit trees in between.

To Mr. Fruit Starter,

I suggest you plant Pili Nut trees as your windbreakers.

Other good windbreakers are Supersweet Sampaloc and Davao Pummelo.

In case you need a consultant, get in touch with me at (0920)2277-141.

mangga_gamot,

thanks for the wind breaker info... just wanna ask if kailangan po grafted yung pili, supwersweet sampalok and davao pummelo for wind breaking trees?

or we could plant them as seedling plants?

Philippine Agriculture Blog - www.agriculture.ph

agri_center,

It would be cheaper to use seeds for growing your windbreaker, however, if you also want it to be a source of income at the earliest possible time then you can use the more expensive grafted planting material.

sir,

maraming salamat po sa answers! your'e trully one of the best agriculturists in our country! i had a chance to meet you in the mango congress in tarlac last 3 years ago. And iam one of your fans. Goodluck to all your projects sir and Godbless.

Hi agri_center,

Am also amazed at your dedication in trying to help others.

What we would want to do in the industry is to inject the appropriate technologies and the TRUTHFUL techniques to really help our farmers.

Keep up the good work.

Hi frutstarter,

One of the best windbreak is bamboo. You can choose from more than 1200 species. In the Philippines, sympodial or clumping species are the best. You can choose from small, medium, giant or large(or timber bamboo).

Considered large are Bambusa blumeana (Kawayang tinik), Dendrocalamus asper (Giant bamboo), Dendrocalamus latiflorus (Machiku), Schizostachyum lumampao (Buho), Gigantochloa levis (Bolo), Bambusa sp.2 (Bayog), Gigantochloa atter (Kayali).

Medium size are Bambusa vulgaris (Kawayang kiling or Tawi-anak), Schizostachyum lima (Anos), Schizostachyum brachycladum (Bali sacred bamboo), Thyrsostachys siamensis (Thailand Monastery bamboo), Bambusa sp.1 (Laak).

Small bamboos are, Bambusa multiflex rivierum (Green Hedge bamboo), Bambusa "Alfhonse Karr" (Yellow Hedge bamboo), Schizostachyum "Murray island" (Small buho).

There are lots of species that you can choose from and are readily available in the country. But sadly many people also are not aware of their existence.

The advantages of planting bamboos as a windbreak are many. Foremost is that they are fast growing (Full maturity at about 5 years). Its culms (poles) and branches will not break easily except during Category 5 or very, very strong typhoons(Which many trees will not survive, anyway) but the clump will regenerate easily as early as a year. Good source of poles and trellis materials for the farm. Readily renewable even if several poles are cut from a clump at the same time as it always produce replacement shoots (labong) that can serve also as a nutritious vegetable or food. Its root system is extensive which can prevent soil erosion.

One may try bamboo as a windbreak as I did. It also will not take much space. In my case, I planted G. levis (Bolo) along the perimeter of my farm, 2 meters near the fence and at 3 meters interval. Now they are an almost impenetrable "security" fence and very soon will provide me with a ready source of mature poles and delicious shoots for food.

However, there are really other plants or trees that you can plant as a windbreak like Sampaloc or Pili as Mr. Rola has said. You can also try Bago' (Gnetom genom). This is a good source of nutritious vegetables as well and is of a medium height tree. It is also a very handsome tree if one plants it as hedge with shiny elongated leaves that looks like Bignay. Bignay is a good medium size windbreak tree as well.

Well, whatever kind of windbreak we choose, will really depend on each one of us. But our options are really wide open.

Happy farming!
geneb

"Gnetum gnenom"

...and by the way, bamboo is not a tree but a grass. It belongs to the family Graminae (Poaceae), subfamily Bambusoideae.
And you can control its growth by proper management to avoid too much shade. Another is to choose from the medium size ones to further avoid the bamboo casting too much shadow or shade to your maincrop. Further, orient it so as to follow the direction or rows of your crops especially if they are orientated to an East-West direction.

If you are afraid of "thorns", don't plant the Kawayang tinik or any species with thorns especially the "Guadua" as they sport very nasty thorns. You can plant "Laak" (the species of bamboo that banana plantations in Mindanao use for banana props) or "Anos", instead. They are thornless and very easy to manage.

geneb

Dear Geneb,

Thanks for all the info regarding what particular bamboo tree can be used as a wind breaker. I really appreciate all your help. Laak or Anos bamboo type that I will be using. I have some questions regarding planting bamboo:

1. Is bamboo thrives well eventhough far from the river? I observe that bamboo grows well only if near 'sapa' or 'ilog'.
2. Can bamboo affect the Exotic Fruit trees since bamboo makes the soil more acidic?
3. Where can I buy planting materials for Bamboo?

Sweet sampaloc is also a good idea since it's a high value tree with leaves and fruit can be harvest.

Hoping for your reply.

Frutstarter :)

Dear Mangga_gamot,

Thanks for the info regarding the Pili nut trees and Sweet Tamarind trees as a windbreaker. Are these trees will bear fruit within 3 years if I buy large planting materials? Some of my friends also recommends ipil-ipil as a wind breaker because its fast growing and good for panggatong, do you recommend it?

Hoping for your reply.

frutstarter wrote:

Dear Geneb,

Thanks for all the info regarding what particular bamboo tree can be used as a wind breaker. I really appreciate all your help. Laak or Anos bamboo type that I will be using. I have some questions regarding planting bamboo:

1. Is bamboo thrives well eventhough far from the river? I observe that bamboo grows well only if near 'sapa' or 'ilog'.

2. Can bamboo affect the Exotic Fruit trees since bamboo makes the soil more acidic?
3. Where can I buy planting materials for Bamboo?

Sweet sampaloc is also a good idea since it's a high value tree with leaves and fruit can be harvest.

Hoping for your reply.

Hi frutstarter,

1. Yes, bamboo will thrive well in a wide range of locations and in almost all types of soil. In fact the first plant to emerge after Hiroshima was razed by an atomic bomb during WWII is bamboo. The bamboo that you see mostly in 'sapa' or 'ilog' probably have been planted there by farmers to stabilize the riverbanks to prevent soil erosion. Bamboo is a a very good plant for soil stabilization and erosion control because of its extensive root system. And if given proper care in its first 2-3 years of growth will mature and become established in 5 yrs.

2. Bamboo will not make the soil acidic and will not affect the growth of exotic or any fruit trees for that matter. Excessive application of chemical fertilizer (especially A. nitrate) will render your soil more acidic than planting it adjacent to bamboo. If you are giving your fruit trees only the "right amount" of chemical fertilizers combined with the organic ones (Processed animal manure, etc.), will not make the soil acidic as well. If you are practicing soil amelioration technique everytime it needs one will keep your soil always in optimum condition. Remember, soil is a "medium" for growing crops, you can alter its composition (chemical or structural) to suit your needs or anyway you like it for as long as you know how to do it. So have your soil analyzed periodically.

What will affect your fruit trees more (if the fruit tree requires full sun) is when you plant it very near the bamboo or for that matter if you plant the tree near a taller tree that will cast a shadow on it. So give appropriate distance between bamboo and the exotic fruit trees if it is so required. And plant the main crop in an East-West direction for full sunlight.

3. Bamboo planting materials. Please go to the bamboo thread in this forum, you will find a wealth of informations there re: Nurseries and individuals selling bamboo planting materials. You can also inquire with Dr. Nimfa Torreta (Moderator), the lead person for the Bamboo Commodity- PCCARD.

Yes, sweet sampaloc as windbreak is a good idea indeed. It also has good rootsystem and the branches will not break easily even with very strong winds. The extra fruits that you will harvest will give you additional income later on. The only drawback if it is intended as a windbreak is how long it will attain the necessary height as to become effective as a windbreak. It will take several years more than the bamboo. However, each type as a windbreak (Bamboo and S.Sampaloc) has its own merits so just be creative and weigh your options.

I hope I answered your query.
geneb

Hi Fruitstarter,

Geneb is right.

It all depends upon your purposes to choose an appropriate wind breaker.

But if you use bamboo as windbreaker, the nearest fruit tree must be planted at 15 to 20 meters away from the line of bambooes.

Enjoy your agriventure.

Tony Rola

sir mangga_gamot,

Good day..May I ask if sweet tamarind grows faster that our native sampaloc and which tree is bigger or taller...

I ask this because I have 1 native sampaloc tree in my farm, its very sour(good for sinigang) but the meat(laman) is very thin and sour even when ripe (not good for candy).

Sorry if I go far from the topic (wind break)...

thankx

frutstarter,

Sa demo farm ng provincial agriculture office of batangas sa bolbok, batangas city ay madaming klase ng seedlings like neem tree, mahogany,  etc..

Mabibili ito sa murang presyo, pwede nga makahingi if mi kakilala ka sa DA.

nakahingi ako dun ng 50 seedlings ng mahogany..

www.sidcnet.com
www.agap-partylist.com

Omarayco,

The sweet tamarind fruits earlier than the native one.

Tony Rola

where to buy seedlings of sweet tamarind here in bataan or pampanga?. Thanks.

rookie_farmer wrote:

where to buy seedlings of sweet tamarind here in bataan or pampanga?. Thanks.

You can buy Sweet Tamarind Grafted seedlings in PAMPANGA AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE (PAC) at there Aglibut Tamarind nursery inside there campus in Magalang.

They sell it at P50 pesos. The cheapest grafted sweet tamarind in the Philippines.  They are also the only nursery accredited in selling the sweet tamarind of aglibut because PAC is the one who developed the variety.   Look for Manong Boy.

Sir,
Tanong ko lang kung anu ang magandang itanim sa mga lupa malapit sa dagat, buhangin ang lupa.

May I ask if sweet tamarind grows faster that our native sampaloc and which tree is bigger or taller...
Custom Essay

gorgon,

which ever variety of sampalok you plant as long it is asexually propagated or grafted, the fruit tree will fruit early.

grafted fruit trees like grafted sampalok will have a moderate canopy smaller than grown from seeds or seedlings of sampalok.

in planting sampalok, you can plant according to your plans in your farm.  if you wish to use it for windbreaker as what mr. rola has explained then you can plant the seedlings. 

seedlings grow faster because of its un interfered root development and vertical growth is faster rather than grafted fruit trees which tendency is to fruit early at the same time grow to a small tree because of its interfered growth by grafting process.  grafting is a dwarfing process in some ways.

thanks agri_center

24 (edited by JamesLee Oct 25 2008 18:42:39)

I really informative for me.

Thanks
James Lee
Dissertation | Essay Writing
Research Paper Writing | Thesis Writing

Thanks for this usefull informations..

SIR;WE HAVE SWEET TAMARIND IN OUR NURSERY,WHICH ARE LOCATED AT BRGY,BALAS,TALISAY,BATANGAS,YOU CAN CONTACT MY LANDLINE NO.043-7280264 AND MOBILE NO.09213684058 OR e mail us at;  ronniebuno040466@yahoo.com.we have also lanzones and other fruit trees available.

matibay ba sa tubig ang sampaloc?

THE ONLY SOLUTION ON MASSIVE FLOODING IN METRO MANILA IS THE PARANAQUE SPILLWAY!!!
"if your intersted call or text me"
"Brotherly Love, Relief, and Truth"

Mga boss,

Mas okey po na gamitin  as windbreak ang species na medyo maliliit ang leaves o ang canopy. Ang idea po kasi dito is you do not have to block the wind entirely. Just slow it down or lessen the velocity to allow other trees to survive.  Pag po kasi makapal ang canopy, the tendency of your tree is to fall down lalo na pag saturated ng tubig ang canopy. Wala na rin po yung purpose ninyo.

Another consideration is that your windbreak should not serve as an alternate host for insect pests or diseases. Better if it help repel insects and other pests. Dito po maganda ang kakawate na may insect repellant   properties.  Maganda po rin talaga ang tamarind and in some cases agoho and some shorter species of bamboo.

Ang isa po sa duda kong disadvantage in using grafted trees as wind break is ung possibility of weakness dun sa pinagdugtungan. May ilan po kasi akong napansin na grafted trees na dito nababali.

Sana po nakatulong.

Kris Rivero

29 (edited by duckduck Dec 09 2010 09:10:47)

For me ang pinaka-effective na windbreaker ay ang coconut trees.  Ang bahay ko ay tin roofing lang.  Dahil sa palibot na niyog as wind breakers ay hindi pa nasisira ng lahat ng bagyo since 1994.  Sa Bicol kami at tinamaan kami ng Supertyphoon na pumilipit sa mga mahogany trees ko sa lakas.  Pero dahil sa mga palibot na niyog na windbreakers ay hindi man lang nasira ang tin roofing house sa hindi na mabilang na bagyong nagdaan sa lugar namin.

May nagtatanong kung ano magandang itanim sa may dagat...ang sagot ko ay NIYOG.  Dahil pataba sa niyog ang asin na galing sa sea water.  As proof, just look at the wind breaker coconut trees facing the sea beaches where actual seawaters reach it during high tides.  You can see that the coconut trees are very healthy, the leaves are dark green and the coco fruits are plenty and big.

Hindi lang wind breaker ang gamit ng niyog.  Puedeng gawin copra ang bunga ng niyog (P40 per kilo na ngayon).  Halos lahat ng parte ng niyog ay may gamit, pati bunot, shell (first class uling), etc. na gamit sa DBS.

"The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.”  "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.”  "The cautious seldom err. "

bennyandhika wrote:

Thanks for this usefull informations..

My pleasure sir smile