Re: Ipil - Ipil

Guys ask ko lang kung pwedeng pagkakitaan galing sa ipil ipil cos ayaw ko kasing putulin ang mga yun (preparing for my mangoes ) baka kasi may potential siya.

Thanks.

Money is my game

GO ORGANIC !!!

hello arnold,

mahalaga ang ipil ipil; kahoy nito ay ginagawang panggatong o uling.

Kapag pinutol, gaya ng ibang punong kahoy lalo ng yung malunggay, umuusbong ulit kaya, makakaani ka ulit ng panggatong taon taon.

Mga dahon maaring ipakain sa mga kambing o baka.
Sa ibang bansa, nabasa ko na may nagreresearch at ginagawang pagkain ng isda and mga dahon ng ipilipil.

cct

Thanks sir cct.

Pwede palang organic fertilizer yung dahon nito.

I am trying on my jatropha.

Money is my game

GO ORGANIC !!!

Arnold,
Ipil ipil is also a good source of animal protein.  You can have a leaf meal out of it.  Its nutrient content though depends on the variety of ipil ipil.  I have used the Leucaena pallida for my research too.  If you are interested please visit
http://cnrit.tamu.edu/conf/cd/web/post-online/sect0087/index.html

Thanks for the info sir.
I appreciate it besides sa goat meron ka bang ibang info about sa ipil ipil?
Thanks.

Money is my game

GO ORGANIC !!!

Arnold,

Please visit the following sites:

http://www.aciar.gov.au/web.nsf/doc/JFRN-5J479M

www.tropicalgrasslands.asn.au/pastures/leucaena.htm

Hope you can extract good information from it.

hi! this is jhonber, junior forester in an IFMA area in Zambales, we were trying to established an ipil ipil plantation in zambales, where can we sell our ipil ipil trees/wood? what companies can buy them?

thank you! nice day

jhonber,

ipil ipil wood is one of the best wood for charcoal manufacturing! if a charcoal manufacturer heard of your project iam sure they will buy your wood.

also, ipil ipil if iam not mistaken is used as drift wood for orchids...

Philippine Agriculture Blog - www.agriculture.ph

agri_center

thank you for the information, another question po... what companies manufacture charcoal? buys ipil ipil wood for drift wood?

thank you, have anice day!

Arnold_2006 wrote:

Thanks for the info sir.
I appreciate it besides sa goat meron ka bang ibang info about sa ipil ipil?
Thanks.

Arnold,

Pinapakain din ang ipil ipil leaves sa baboy.  What I would suggest if you really must cut your ipil is to get the leaves and sell it to raisers of goats, cows, pigs & other animals that would benefit from its nutritive value.

Bing

oinky doinky pinky piggy smile

Wait

May mga company sa uling? as in? this is new baka naman referral diyan! he he he he
Ang tagal ng mga ipil2x sa place ko masukal na nga dahil sa kanila ang lalaki kasi!

From what I've heard from cuz who is hooked up in this business maabo ang ipil2x kaya hindi mabenta, they prefer woods from santol or kaimito cos hindi mausok ang nagbabaga  and nababasag daw ang mga from ipil2x.

@Bingbong

The ipil2x leaves; They served as mulch on my neem tree, jatropha, and lavenders (germination stage though) also hinahalo ko sa guano.

May bibili ba nito sa piggery? eh alam ng ibang tao yung "4 na buwan pera na" thingy asa sa feeds.

bakit hindi promote to?

Money is my game

GO ORGANIC !!!

Arnold_2006 wrote:

Wait

May mga company sa uling? as in? this is new baka naman referral diyan! he he he he
Ang tagal ng mga ipil2x sa place ko masukal na nga dahil sa kanila ang lalaki kasi!

From what I've heard from cuz who is hooked up in this business maabo ang ipil2x kaya hindi mabenta, they prefer woods from santol or kaimito cos hindi mausok ang nagbabaga  and nababasag daw ang mga from ipil2x.

@Bingbong

The ipil2x leaves; They served as mulch on my neem tree, jatropha, and lavenders (germination stage though) also hinahalo ko sa guano.

May bibili ba nito sa piggery? eh alam ng ibang tao yung "4 na buwan pera na" thingy asa sa feeds.

bakit hindi promote to?

You'll be surprised that a lot of raisers are getting into this kind of natural vice commercial.  Commercial feeds are getting to be so expensive that a lot of growers are really bleeding and would try to do traditional in their finishing stage. 

Bing

oinky doinky pinky piggy smile

Bingbong wrote:

You'll be surprised that a lot of raisers are getting into this kind of natural vice commercial.  Commercial feeds are getting to be so expensive that a lot of growers are really bleeding and would try to do traditional in their finishing stage. 

Bing

How about you sir are you using ipil2x to your piggery?

Money is my game

GO ORGANIC !!!

Bingbong wrote:

Arnold_2006 wrote:

Wait

@Bingbong

bakit hindi promote to?

Bing

Bingbong,

Marami-rami din dito sa aming rehiyon 13 ang Ipil-Ipil. Baka meron kang ma i-refer na buyer ng Ipil-ipil o mga dahon nito. Kawawa nga iyong mga planters dahil hindi natuloy ang pag patayo ng isang paper mill manufacturer using Ipil-Ipil trees. Kaya ngayon, nagkandarapa kung papaano mabayaran ang loan sa bank na nag pahiram sa mga planters 15 years or more ago.

ipil-ipil

if harvested in a systematic sustainable way, the plantation can persist forever. Baka alam ng department of agriculture n DENR ang tamang systema.

I read about several uses of ipil ipil: posts for bananas, timber of houses, wood for fuel and charcoal for fuel. the leaves can then be processed into feeds -- in batangas there was a time they force-fed mga baka. Kaya siguro dumami ang bulalo doon.

cattle fattening ang downstream activity at corned beef ang puede kalalabasan kasama na ang tapa at bulalo at grilled steak niluto sa uling. fuel wood pangpalambot ng bulalo at kalderetang baka.

ipil ipil at ibang plants = kaldereta. sarap nito. tai ng baka, pang biogas pa. yung iba, pang fertilize pa.

pag di ipil ipil, kakawate din.

sana mag post dito ang mga technical experts.

At sana rin merong maawing negosyante ng Ipil-Ipil as a lumber or its by-products para malunasan ang mga planters ng Ipil-Ipil dito sa aming rehiyon consisting of more than 1,000 hectares per record of the bank.

1000 hectares of ipil-ipil

thats a lot = 10 million square meters.

perhaps some of it is already in fact being harvested and used/sold as firewood or charcoal.

perhaps a university can organize a free lecture in an auditorium with government ipil ipil utilization experts informing the public what can be done with it locally in caraga.

butka wrote:

At sana rin merong maawing negosyante ng Ipil-Ipil as a lumber or its by-products para malunasan ang mga planters ng Ipil-Ipil dito sa aming rehiyon consisting of more than 1,000 hectares per record of the bank.

pwede bang itanong kung ssang record ng bank ito? is it a project funded by the bank?

thanks

Hi cct at Anda,

Per record of Development Bank of the Phil., Butuan City Branch, there is a lot of hectares planted with Ipil-Ipil trees.  Sa inventory nga, umabot ng more than 1,000 hectares.

All of these ipil-ipil farmers borrowed money from DBP to fund the plantation under the marketing contract with a certain paper mill manufacturing which company did not push through with its factory. What  complicate the woes of Ipil-Ipil farmers is the written marketing agreement with the said company and they could not dispose the trees without permission from said company. Malupit nga!!!

ipil-ipil tree farmers,

butka, i am certain that DBP top management wants DBP's money back from the farmers -- and maybe there are three parties in the contract and this might include DBP. If the company that contracted to buy the wood no longer is operating or never started to operate as a paper mill, then it is possible that it can be sued for its failure to purchase the wood and the farmers might be able to have the contracts cancelled. It could be a possible matter for a Senate investigation. It only takes the hint of a privilege speech by a legislator to probably get some remedial action. Thousands of farmers means thousands of votes. Sen. Aquilino Pimentel of Mindanao might just be the right person to make noises about it. Paki sulat lang sa kanya o kay Sen. Pia Cayetano, Sen. Loren Legarda, Sen Mar Roxas and last but not least baka si Panfilo Lacson.

ipil-ipil tree farmers,

butka, i am certain that DBP top management wants DBP's money back from the farmers -- and maybe there are three parties in the contract and this might include DBP. If the company that contracted to buy the wood no longer is operating or never started to operate as a paper mill, then it is possible that it can be sued for its failure to purchase the wood and the farmers might be able to have the contracts cancelled. It could be a possible matter for a Senate investigation. It only takes the hint of a privilege speech by a legislator to probably get some remedial action. Thousands of farmers means thousands of votes. Sen. Aquilino Pimentel of Mindanao might just be the right person to make noises about it. Paki sulat lang sa kanya o kay Sen. Pia Cayetano, Sen. Loren Legarda, Sen Mar Roxas and last but not least baka si Panfilo Lacson.

Tama ka cct. I will tell planters who are my friends. Pero mukhang maki opposition ka ah :D :D  (Biro lang cct)

butka wrote:

Hi cct at Anda,

Per record of Development Bank of the Phil., Butuan City Branch, there is a lot of hectares planted with Ipil-Ipil trees.  Sa inventory nga, umabot ng more than 1,000 hectares.

All of these ipil-ipil farmers borrowed money from DBP to fund the plantation under the marketing contract with a certain paper mill manufacturing which company did not push through with its factory. What  complicate the woes of Ipil-Ipil farmers is the written marketing agreement with the said company and they could not dispose the trees without permission from said company. Malupit nga!!!

Hi Butka,

The 1,000 hectares is huge per bank record but are these ipil-ipil still existing on the ground? Meron kasing infestation na nangyari noon 80s-90s. Hindi kaya naapektuhan ang mga puno?

Regarding the marketing contract, it is also good to see DBP or ask a lawyer about the buyer-company buy provision and the remedy if that company reneged on its obligation. Baka naman hindi na nag-exist yung company at wala ng makausap?

May mga buyers. pero kailangan ma-inventory how many cubic metres of wood is available.

Hi anda,

Actually, I read the list of Ipil-Ipil planters con borrowers of DBP and counted more than 1,000 hectares. The earliest period of the loan is 1983.

I do not know the actual number of trees still existing on the ground or if there were trees affected by the infestation but I think it can be verified.

Kung merong buyers, I can be of assistance but not to accompany the buyer or representative in making the actual inventory or timber crossing.

I can be reached in kmainc2004@yahoo.com.ph or cellphone number 0919-5015443

Guys thanks for the imput, what I did to my ipil ipil since they are big already (some of the trees have the same size of a branch of a century old mango trees) is I've cut them down and used them a fence with barbed wire on it also my caretaker told me that they will grow eventhought they have been cut.

I'm also putting kakawate on my farm also..

Money is my game

GO ORGANIC !!!

so please, what is the latest on potential market for ipil-ipil leaves

Good day! Sino po ba dito ang may maraming ipil-ipil trees in big diameter (30 cm)? Please email me at mulagumbayjr@yahoo.com or contact me at 09216249241. Thank you and Mabuhay!

mga sirs,

san po ako pwede makakuha ng hybreed ipil-ipil near santiago city,isabela

many thanks,
apol

from day 1, how many months can an ipil-ipil tree best be harvested for charcoal making and what variety is fast growing.

Elycumali
Any variety is good enough, specially when you source your seeds near your the area. Two years time you can start making charcoal, depending on the fertility of the soil and the timing of your planting, before the rainy season is suggested. Cut it low and it will spring up with more growth, that in two years time you can go back again for the charcoal. Do you know that a mature branch can grow, just like you are planting malunggay. It is more work though, but you will have bigger trees in two years time.
There is not much data around, as it is only a few years now that people are planting trees. Believe me in our place, they did not even plant this ipil ipil. I was told their fuel to cook were bundled cogon grass, carabao dung and a few old wood. Someone brought five or more seedlings and planted it in his farm, in four years time a hill and more were all covered with ipil ipil. And this was without human hand intervention. So best you broadcast the seeds or plant the mature branch now and for all you see will be ipil ipil all over the place.

Dear friends,

Marami talaga napasubo sa ipil-ipil. Dati kasi may mga proposed dendrothermal projects the ipil-ipil trees are supposed to be used as the fuel. Unfortunately, nawala yung mga planta kaya naiwan ang mga ipil-ipil plantations.

Regarding the recors, well, as experience has taught us lalo na dito sa Pinas, kung minsan napakalayo ng difference between the record and reality on the ground. This does not mean however na walang nag-eexist na mga ipil-ipil plantation. Napakarami rin naman and since nawala na nga yung mga planta which are supposed to use these,  the planters were forced to look for alternative markets. Here in Bicol, it is not unusual to see jeepney loads of chopped ipil-ipil firewood on their way to the market.  Meaning, may demand talaga. Mga bakery ang buyer nila.

Paalala lang about using ipil-ipil as feeds for non-ruminants, please be advised na may mimosine ito which is not helpful in high concentrations.

kahoy--------uling
kahoy========panggatong , bakery using pugon
dahon========pagkaing ng hayop
seeds=========pampurgang hayop at tao

hi all,

how can agroforestry systems help lower the cost of charcoal?
charcoal is an important fuel for urban dwellers living in higly congested areas who cannot afford to use LPG. They also cannot cook with wood because the smoke offends the neighbors next door.

in our urban slums, dikit dikit talaga kami/sila, siksikan parang sardinas.

hi,

can we compare selling/buying prices? Actual prices namin sa Digos, davao del sur farm

firewood may small market sa local area .  P10 per bundle of 10pcs (16-18 inches long less than 2 inches diameter ) .  we have local pot makers who use ipil-ipil firewood

as "poste" of structures (chicken pens,etc).  6 ft -8 ft stems of 2" or more diameter P10 per stem post

we're still hoping to find commercial buyer/s of ipil-ipil leaves. meron ba? how much kaya per kilo of dried leaves? At the moment hinihingi lang ng mga kapitbahay pakain ng goats and cows

magkano ang ipil-ipil seeds sa area nyo?

thanks

Info from :
http://stuartxchange.com/Ipil-ipil.html

Family • Mimosaceae
Ipil-ipil
Santa Elena
Leucaena glauca Linn.
LEAD TREE

Other scientific names     Common names     
Mimosa glauca Linn.      Agho (P. Bis.)     Kariskis (Ilk.)
Acacia glauca Wiild..     Aghog (P. Bis.)     Komkompitis (Ilk.)
Leucaena glauca Linn.       Ipel (Tag.)     Loyloi (S. L. Bis.)
Leucaena leucocephala Lam.       Ipil-ipil (Tag.)     Santa Elena (Span.)
      Kabahero (C. Bis.)     San Pedro (P. Bis.)
            Lead tree (Engl.)

Botany:
Small plant up to 15 m high; leaves alternate, twice compound, 15-25 cm, base of petiole enlarged; leaflets 9 to 18 pairs, 7 to 12 mm long, linear-oblong, unequilateral; flowering stalks axillary, 3.5 to 5 cm long. Flowers are whitist, in dense globule heads 2 to 3 cm in diameter. Fruit is an oblong or linear pod, strap-shaped, falttened, 12 to 18 cm long, 1 to 2 cm wide, papery, green turning brown and splits open along two edges when mature, several fruits develop from each flower head; seeds obovate, 5 to 8 mm long, 3 to 5 mm wide, shiny, brown.

Distribution:
Common plant widely distributed in the Philippines. Propagated by seeds or stem cuttings.

Parts utilized
Dried seeds

Constituents
• Fat, 8.68%; crude fiber, 22.59%; nitrogen-free material other than fiber, 9.78%; nitrogen, 6.42%; sucrose; water, 14.8%; ash, 4.2%.
• Seed contains the toxic amino acid mimosine.

Uses
Folkloric
Intestinal parasitism: ascaris and trichinosis.
Adults: 1 teasppon of powdered dried seeds, alone or mixed with condensed milk and followed by half a glass of water, taken as a single dose 2 hours after a meal; repeated after one week as needed.
Children: 7-8 years old: 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon; 9-12 years old: 1/2 to 2/3 teaspoon.
Adverse effects: Abdominal pain, diarrhea.

Info from:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Leucaena_leucocephala.html

Table of contents
   1. Uses
   2. Folk Medicine
   3. Chemistry
   4. Description
   5. Germplasm
   6. Distribution
   7. Ecology
   8. Cultivation
   9. Harvesting
  10. Yields and Economics
  11. Energy
  12. Biotic Factors
  13. References

Uses
Leadtree is valued as an excellent protein source for cattle fodder, consumed browsed or harvested, mature or immature, green or dry. The nutritive value is equal to or superior to alfalfa. Leadtree has gained a favorable reputation in land reclamation, erosion control, water conservation, reforestation and soil improvement programs, and is a good cover and green manure crop. The leaves, used as a mulch around other crops, are said to significantly increase their yields. It is said to possess the power of extracting selenium from the soil and concentrating selenium in the seed. This could be used to ameliorate seleniferous soils if the feed were discarded or used for some purpose other than feed. Seeds yield about 25 percent gum worthy of commercial investigation. Seeds after softening are strung as beans into various items of jewelry for tourists in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. In the Philippine Islands, young pods are cooked as a vegetable and seeds are used as a substitute for coffee. Ripe seeds are sometimes eaten parched like popcorn. Wood is hard and heavy (sp. gr. 0.7), the sapwood light yellow, the heartwood yellow-brown to dark brown, used for fuel or charcoal. Plants are used in some countries for shade for black pepper, coffee, cocoa, quinine, and vanilla and for hedges. In many places, however, renegade seedlings have created a noxious weed situation. The dipilatory chemical mimosine has been used, experimentally at least, to shear sheep.

Energy
With its rhizobium, leucaena can fix more than 500 kg N/ha. On 3 to 8 year trees, annual wood increments vary from 24 to over 100 m3/ha averaging 30 to 40. Dry leucaena wood has 39% the calorific value of fuel oil (10,000 cal/kg), lecaena charcoal 72.5%. In , Molokai, Hawaii (Brewbaker 1980) a 400-ha farm of Leucaena leucocephala on a four year rotation is expected to fuel a two megawatt facility producing 11.6 million KWh/yr. This will replace about 22,000 barrels of diesel. "Wood yields of the giant Leucaena equal or exceed those of other tropical trees and can be the equivalent annually of 30 barrels of oil per acre." Conservatively, rounding their 22,000 barrels per year down to 20,000 barrels, or about half of Panama's daily import, two 400-ha farms may satisfy one day's requirement for Panama, and 730 400-ha farms may satisfy annual requirements or 292,000 ha. Conservatively again, 300,000 ha of Leucaena could satisfy Panama's current energy requirements, providing in the process more than 450,000 metric tons of nitrogen-rich dry macter using the assumptions adopted by Brewbaker (1980). (Curtis and Duke, 1982)

"Let justice roll down like waters
and righteousness like an everlasting stream".
Amos

thanks for the load of info , ka papito

interesting that the ipil-ipil seeds can be and are actually  consumed as vegetable(young pods) and coffee substitute. and ripe seeds eaten parched like popcorn - puedeng parang butong pakwan ...ah but for the toxic acid mimosine content

good idea to look into the seeds' gum property and also crafts material instead

Agoho
(Sto.Domingo,Albay)

At the foot of Mayon Volcano sprawl several species of trees, one of which is the Agoho
Which is known to be resilient to typhoons frequenting the Bicol region, Agoho stands tall at the heat of the sun and bends gracefully with the gusty wind.
Thriving in sandy soils, it is valuable in erosion control and land reclamation projects.

Agoho resembles a pine tree and produce heavy seed crops by the age of five years.
Agoho woods is used for house posts, electric poles and other household materials.

Falcata
(Mawab,Compostela Valley)

It is a fast growing tree which reaches up to 30 meters in height and 60 cm in diameter.
It attains a height of 7 meters in one year,18 meters in 3 years and 40 meters in 10 years when planted in good sites.
Also known as Moluccan Sau,Falcata is native to Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands
& Sabah.
It can be grown in fairly acidic and agriculturally unproductive hilly sites and is a good soil conditioners.
Moluccan Sau has varied uses:lumber for lightweight furniture components,pulpwood for paper manufacture, shade tree for coffee, cocoa  and other crops.