1 (edited by duckduck Dec 17 2011 19:59:01)

Topic: Modified P.I.G.S. Baboyang Walang Amoy, Feeds/Marketing Solutions

To all backyard swine beginners and experienced baboyeros alike,

After suggestions from friends, we are opening this thread to re-open the deleted thread "Our Baboyang Walang Amoy, Deep Bedding System".  The new title shall cover expanded topics to discuss alternative feeds to the more costly commercial feeds, and also to discuss ways on how to solve the continuing lower cost of live weight prices.  We also believe that this thread should discuss lower cost of pig housing so that the savings can be used to buying piglets and feeds to start the business the soonest possible time.

All contributors from regions in the Philippines and even abroad are invited and welcomed to contribute in this thread whether they are tested effective practices. for beginners to emulate or constructive postings, to improve on existing practices.

If someone has posted a question related to the above topic, we would appreciate an answer from those experts or experienced members.

BTW, for the benefit of all members, while it is easy to delete one's own post, it is not easy to delete one's own thread.  Here are the procedures to delete one's own thread:

1. Go to the top of PCAARRD Message Board\Message Central\Spam Reporting and if you see a posting by Admin, click on the date in "blue".

2, You will be forwarded to a screen where you will be allowed to email the administrator regarding your request to delete your own thread.

3. You will receive an email later that your request was granted.

4. You can now go to the thread that you want to be deleted. You may now delete your own thread and all posts of other members in that thread.

"The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.”  "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.”  "The cautious seldom err. "

Re: Modified P.I.G.S. Baboyang Walang Amoy, Feeds/Marketing Solutions

In the the other section, the high cost of yellow corn nowadays is causing the upward movement of animal feed's cost, even for those who are mixing their own animal feed.

Somebody mentioned that a combination of rice bran and vegetable oil or used cooking oil (waste from fastfood chain or restaurants) will provide the required metabolized energy required by the pig. This is an alternative that backyard raisers may look into in order to minimize the effect of high cost of yellow corn.

I also mentioned in the other sections that a study done in Colombia that was published by the Food Administration Organization of the United Nations, that crude palm oil or palm oil fruit could be used as substitute, partly or wholly, for sorghum (more or less equivalent to yellow corn in terms of nutritional value). Also, fresh fruit of oil palm is rich in beta carotene, similar to yellow corn.

In certain areas in Mindanao (Surigao, Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Davao, etc.) and the provinces of Bohol and Palawan are now developing oil palm plantations. Hog raisers in those areas may have the option to use palm oil fruits or its by-products in animal feed.

like like like kuyang duck!!

Sir Ross,

Are you already feeding fresh palm oil fruits direct to your pigs? Or are you extracting the oil and just use the by-products as additional additives to your home made feeds? Reason I ask is because my Palm Oil trees have already established themselves on the ground.  Hopefully in 18 months, the trees shall bearing fruits already.

I understand that the fruits can be fed direct to the pigs.

"The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.”  "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.”  "The cautious seldom err. "

Mga kuyang, kung may copra meal, yellow corn at rice bran ako ilang kilo ang ibabawas ko sa 50 kg sack of feeds para ireplace ang mga nasabi kong feedstuf. Ilang kilo naman na copra meal, yellow corn at rice bran ang ihahalo ko. Let us say sa grower stage ko ito gagawin.

Kuya D,

Fresh fruits pa lang ang pinakakain ko sa mga baboy, yung mga bunch na kinapon o hindi pinatuloy ang pagbunga para bigyan ng priority ang vegetative growth.

Once established na ang roots tuloy-tuloy na yan 100 trees na itinanim mo.

Wrangler,

Try to  calculate the crude protein and metabolized energy of the mixture of copra meal, yellow corn and rice bran. For grower na 35-60 kg and required cp is around 18% and metabolized energy is 3000 kcal/kg

wintuha wrote:

Wrangler,

Try to  calculate the crude protein and metabolized energy of the mixture of copra meal, yellow corn and rice bran. For grower na 35-60 kg and required cp is around 18% and metabolized energy is 3000 kcal/kg

Kung yung 4 ingredients lang gagamitin mo, mejo mahirap ipa 18% crude protein since copra is about 20%CP, and palm kernel meal is about 19%CP.. I dont know nga lang how the CP would differ from fresh palm to palm kernel meal..

If you wanted to reach 18%CP that would mean almost
85%PKM is to 15%d1
74%Copra is to 26%d1
91%PKM is to 9%corn
84%PKM is to 16% corn

Siguro if you add soybean meal mas plausible pa to come up with a balanced ration.. but kung pang dagdag lang tlga sa pagkain ng baboy para di maxado magastos sa feed cost, then dont sweat it too much.. basta di maxado na-affect performance di ba? trial and error nlng to which ratio is best! smile

What I mean sir is yung mga feedstuff na nabangit ko eh bale ihahalo ko lang po sa daily ration ng mga finisher ko. Pero syempre ang main purpose ko is to lessen my cost of production ko kasi may corn field, at may mga coconut naman kami dito at ang rice bran ay mabibili ko lang sa murang halaga kasi may rice mill ang tito ko. That's why if ihahalo ko na mga yun babawasan ko naman yung amount of commercial feeds na binibigay. Pero di ko alam if maganda outcome nito kasi hindi ko alam ang level ng mga  cp content, calcium, ME and other minerals na maibabawas sa commercial feeds ko and di ko rin alam kung pano ito i-replace by adding available feedstuffs in our locality.

yeah, i gathered as much, but we will never truly know the nutritional values the commercial feedmakers use.. so the best way to approach your issue, is by adding a balanced ration to the commercial feeds you are giving.. in which case para ka narin nagself mix sarili mong feeds.. mahirap rin kasi magformulate not knowing the nutritional value of fresh palm, and kung wala SBM or synthetic lysine mahirap mameet yung proper lysine balance..

what happened sa last thread? anyway hi mga kuyang i am into the last batch of disposal sa mga finishers ko na. while xmas and new year is  coming nearer, mas tumataas ang sales ko which is good. ill post it soon yung out come para may reference yung mga kuyang natin na baguhan at gusto mag start ng ganitong negosyo.

gaya ng paulit ulit na sinasabi ko before, salamat sa PCCARD at dito ako natututo ng lahat ng nalalaman ko as of this time though marami pa akong kulang at dapat malaman sa pag aalaga ng baboy. and of course, special mention to kuyang conrado and kuyang D. and of course, kay LORD at kay kuyang erick sa pag guide sakin on a daily basis.

sa lahat ng mga kuyang dito maraming salamat. merry xmas to all and have a blessed new year. more post to come soon......... enjoy!

Fapper wrote:

what happened sa last thread? anyway hi mga kuyang i am into the last batch of disposal sa mga finishers ko na. while xmas and new year is  coming nearer, mas tumataas ang sales ko which is good. ill post it soon yung out come para may reference yung mga kuyang natin na baguhan at gusto mag start ng ganitong negosyo.

gaya ng paulit ulit na sinasabi ko before, salamat sa PCCARD at dito ako natututo ng lahat ng nalalaman ko as of this time though marami pa akong kulang at dapat malaman sa pag aalaga ng baboy. and of course, special mention to kuyang conrado and kuyang D. and of course, kay LORD at kay kuyang erick sa pag guide sakin on a daily basis.

sa lahat ng mga kuyang dito maraming salamat. merry xmas to all and have a blessed new year. more post to come soon......... enjoy!

Sir Fapper,

Musta na?

Sa nakita kong mga pics ng DBS piggery mo, ay nakakatiyak akong complete success yon dahil ginastusan mo talaga at pangmatagalan ang structure, patterned sa mga drawings ni Kuyang C.

Ang you are in the right path, just like me, in solving the very low live weight price of the biaheros.  I am sure that, that topic is a legitimate extension of the thread "Our Baboyang Walang Amoy", na dapat ay pagusapan talaga sa thread, dahil pagkatapos natin na mapalaki ang mga baboy using the DBS system, ay talagang malaking problema kung malulugi lang tayo sa pagbenta ng mga baboy.

Sir Fapper, we would appreciate if you can post here all the drawings of your DBS piggery setup because it is the counterpart of the drawings of our Kuyang C who prohibited me to post his drawings in this thread.

I shall also post the pics of my DBS setup that I patterned from the You Tube P.I.G.S. system.  I modified the layout in that system to address someone's complaint that the dirty DBS materials might contaminate the feeds that the pigs are eating in the feeding troughs.  The resulting modified DBS P.I.G.S. system came out to be a truly low cost pig housing system that is suited for members who have a low budget for their pig housing plans but equally effective din po.

I shall also attempt to post the pics of the pigs shown in the "Gabay Sa Kabuhayan", if I shall be able to recover them, to show the different kinds of pigs, that we are dealing with in the DBS system, for the benefit of the members.

With your drawings/pics and those of mine, I think this thread can be jump started to discuss the two kinds of DBS system that can be expanded to feeds alternatives, the conventional gestating/farrowing pens/DBS farrowing pens, and effective marketing of our products.

Merry Christmas po and Happy New Year to all.

12 (edited by duckduck Dec 23 2011 18:54:55)

duckduck wrote:
duckduck wrote:
duckduck wrote:

GABAY SA KABUHAYAN AND PICS OF PIGS:

1. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF THE SOURCE OF MATERIALS:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC1ACKNOWLEDGEMENTOFTHESOURCEOFMATERIALS.jpg

2. TRIPLE CROSS FINISHERS:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC9TRIPLECROSSFINISHERS.jpg

3. TRIPLE CROSS PIGS; HYBRID PIGS:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC10TRIPLECROSSPIGSHYBRIDPIGS.jpg

4. SOW LINE AND BOAR LINE:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC14SOWLINEBOARLINE.jpg

5. DOMINANT TRAITS AND RECESSIVE TRAITS:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC15DOMINANTRECESSIVETRAITS.jpg

6. WHITE COLOR PIGS; COLORED PIGS:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC16WHITECOLORPIGCOLOREDPIG.jpg

7. BACK-CROSSING OF PIGS:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC17BACKCROSSINGOFPIGS.jpg

8. PHILIPPINE NATIVE PIG: Based on prior postings, this pic of the native Philippines pig is just to show the origin of our Philippine pig and not necessarily to be used in the breeding program of modern slaughter pigs, unless a breeder is engage of breeding pigs exclusively for lechon purposes who have exclusive markets for native pigs.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PhilippinesNativePig.jpg

9. BERKSHIRE BOAR: This pig got its name and originated from England, county of Berhshire and is known as Britain's oldest pig breed.  According to internet information, this is a rare breed of pig originating from Berkshire, England.  In the United States this pig was established by the American Berkshire Association.  The pig have large ears and are erect or slightly leaning forward.  The legs are short and straight and have a straight underline belly as you can see from the picture.  Berkshire pork is noted for its juiciness, good flavor, pink color meat and terdenness.  They are also called a "small farm pig" noted for its ability to sow farm fields and live in free ranges.

Please click on this link:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8obdpKTAI0
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/BerkshireBoar.jpg

10. HAMPSHIRE BOAR: This is a domestic breed of pig that has erect eard and and a black body with whitish band around the shoulder of the body covering the front legs.  This pig is said to have originated from Hampshire, England and later exported to the United States.  They are noted for being well-muscled, big boned, grows rapidly and produce good meat.  When used as breeding stock, the sows of this breed are good mothers and good tempered.   
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC4HAMPSHIREBOAR.jpg

11. LANDRACE SOW: Landrace, just like the LargeWhites have white skin and and don't have black hair in their bodies. However, the Landrace are lop-eared pigs compared with the LargeWhites, with a long middle, light forequarters, and very good ham development. There were major faults observed with the Original Landrace such as weak legs, splay legs and nervous disorders.  This is probably why the modern breeders have to cross-breed them with the LargeWhites and other breeds.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC5LANDRACESOW.jpg

12. LARGEWHITE BOAR:The Large White pig is rugged and hardy, and can withstand a wide of climates.  Its use is in crossbreeding or hybrid breeding programs with the most popular cross being is with the Landrace breed.  This cross is ofter used as the maternal line in commercial breeding.  A 3rd breed such as from a Duroc line is often used as a terminal sire.  Market demands for low amounts of fat and high levels of lean meat made way to breeding programs such as the triple way by introducing the Duroc blood to a cross between the LargeWhite and the Landrace.  Largewhite sows were noted for their large litter size and heavy milk production, good mothering ability and strong legs and feet.  These traits make them ideal for longer production results of the sows. 

Large Whites have white skin and don't have black hair in their bodies. They are big boned and large-framed, having a long middle and light shoulders. Their legs are longer compared to other breeds and have long deep sides. The head is moderately long with the face slightly dished, and the ears are pricked upwards.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC6LARGEWHITEBOAR.jpg

13. DUROC BOAR:  Based on internet information that I found, in 1823, Isaac Frink of Milton in Saratoga County, New York, obtained from Harry Kelsey of Florida New York, a red boar, one of a litter of ten pigs. The sire and dam of these pigs were probably imported from England. Mr. Kelsey happened to own a famous trotting stallion named Duroc, so Mr. Frink named his red boar in honour of the horse. This boar was known for his smoothness and carcase quality.

Duroc's "the pig" progeny continued the Duroc name and many of them inherited his colour, quick growth and maturity, deep body, broad ham and shoulder, and quiet disposition.  Further breeding development of its progeny gave its offspring the tenacity and docility towards its young and made it an ideal candidate for an outdoor pig, either as a dam or sire, and its succulence and heavy muscling makes it very suitable for anything from light pork to heavy hog production.

Further research funded by the MLC has investigated the Duroc’s claim to produce high levels of tenderness. This has led to a recommendation to include Duroc genetics as part of the meat quality Blueprint.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC7DUROCBOAR.jpg

14. DUROC BOAR#2:  Please read the internet information about the Duroc Boar on no. 13 above.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC8DUROCBOAR.jpg

15. PIETRAIN BOAR:  Again based on internet information that I got, the breed is of medium size and has white with black spots.  Around the black spots there are characteristic rings of light pigmentation that carries white hair. The breed is commonly referred to as being of piebald markings. The ears are erect. 

The Pietrain breed is renowned for its very high yield of lean meat but this is often associated with the presence of the halothane gene for Porcine Stress Syndrome.  For this reason the use of purebred Pietrain in British pig production is relatively rare and it is most commonly found in crossbred and synthetic terminal sire lines.  A small number of purebred herds are maintained to supply stock for breeding programmes.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC11PETRAINBOAR.jpg

16. DUROC/PIETRAIN BOAR:  As the name implies, this is the crossbreeding of a Pure Duroc boar to a Pure Pietrain sow or vice versa, between a Pure Pietrain boar to a Pure Duroc Sow.  The result is a cross breed of Duroc/Pietrain or Pietrain/Duroc breed. In a study of breeding these two breeds in Vietnam, the internet information stated that the result was as stated below:

"The average daily gain, feed conversion ratio and thickness of crossbred sires (Duroc/Pietrain and Pietrain/Duroc) were remarkably improved compared to purebred ones (PP and PD). The semen quality of these crossbred sires was much higher than that of purebred sires.

When using these crossbred boars (DP and PD) as terminal sires for meat production, the average daily
gain, feed conversion ratio and backfat thickness was improved significantly in fattening pigs during
the period of 60 – 180 days old, and their lean meat was also increased by 1.71 – 3.37%.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC12DUROCPETRAINBOAR.jpg

17. MEISHAN SOW FROM CHINA: This pic of the Meishan Sow from China, based on prior postings, has similar reasons as in the explanation in the Philippines Native Pig and should not be considered a basis for breeding our modern slauther pigs.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIC13CHINESEMEISHANSOW.jpg

Fapper wrote:

sir fapper,
good day po,
baguhan po ako dito, sir pwde ba makahingi ng pics ng dbs mo, plano ko din magstart ng piggery, if ok lang po, pakisend sa wagnerwagner94@yahoo.com
thank you very much.

duckduck wrote:
Fapper wrote:

Sir Fapper,

Musta na?

Sa nakita kong mga pics ng DBS piggery mo, ay nakakatiyak akong complete success yon dahil ginastusan mo talaga at pangmatagalan ang structure, patterned sa mga drawings ni Kuyang C.

Ang you are in the right path, just like me, in solving the very low live weight price of the biaheros.  I am sure that, that topic is a legitimate extension of the thread "Our Baboyang Walang Amoy", na dapat ay pagusapan talaga sa thread, dahil pagkatapos natin na mapalaki ang mga baboy using the DBS system, ay talagang malaking problema kung malulugi lang tayo sa pagbenta ng mga baboy.

Sir Fapper, we would appreciate if you can post here all the drawings of your DBS piggery setup because it is the counterpart of the drawings of our Kuyang C who prohibited me to post his drawings in this thread.

I shall also post the pics of my DBS setup that I patterned from the You Tube P.I.G.S. system.  I modified the layout in that system to address someone's complaint that the dirty DBS materials might contaminate the feeds that the pigs are eating in the feeding troughs.  The resulting modified DBS P.I.G.S. system came out to be a truly low cost pig housing system that is suited for members who have a low budget for their pig housing plans but equally effective din po.

I shall also attempt to post the pics of the pigs shown in the "Gabay Sa Kabuhayan", if I shall be able to recover them, to show the different kinds of pigs, that we are dealing with in the DBS system, for the benefit of the members.

With your drawings/pics and those of mine, I think this thread can be jump started to discuss the two kinds of DBS system that can be expanded to feeds alternatives, the conventional gestating/farrowing pens/DBS farrowing pens, and effective marketing of our products.

Merry Christmas po and Happy New Year to all.

sir
good day po,
pwde ba makahingi ng pics about bds nyo, want to start my own din, kung okey po pwde send sa mail ko, wagnerwagner94@yahoo.com
thank you very much.

utakpulvoron wrote:

yeah, i gathered as much, but we will never truly know the nutritional values the commercial feedmakers use.. so the best way to approach your issue, is by adding a balanced ration to the commercial feeds you are giving.. in which case para ka narin nagself mix sarili mong feeds.. mahirap rin kasi magformulate not knowing the nutritional value of fresh palm, and kung wala SBM or synthetic lysine mahirap mameet yung proper lysine balance..

A good source of lysine that could be home made is germinated beans such as mongo or togue (raw mat for lumpia na togue). There are several reading materials available in the internet regarding germinated or sprouted mongo beans. You can preserve the sprouted mongo beans by mixing it with molasses on 1:1 ratio, fermented togue.

16 (edited by duckduck Dec 23 2011 19:33:18)

wagner72 wrote:

sir good day po, pwde ba makahingi ng pics about bds nyo, want to start my own din, kung okey po pwde send sa mail ko, wagnerwagner94@yahoo.com
thank you very much.

Sir wagner72,  cencia na ngayon lang 12/23 ako nakabalik sa tirahan ko.  Since 12/20 kasi ay sinugod ako ng ambulancia sa hospital dahil nagkaroon ako ng heart attack at ngayon lang ako nilabas.

Anyway kinompleto ko lang ang descriptions ng bawat pic ng pigs na pinaguusapan natin sa thread na ito at sana ay magpost din ang ibang experienced members natin sa forum.  Anomang tulong galing sa mga kasama natin ay most appreciated po.  I will proceed in posting pics and step by step procedures on how I converted my existing concrete structure into a modified DBS pig housing.

I would advise you, Sir Wagner, to always come back here to see more postings from our experienced friends so that you will learn more about the DBS setup. 

However, if you will only visit the thread of "Tarlac Hog Raisers Forum" and magtiaga kang magbasa from start to finish, ay baka hindi na kelangan magbasa ka pa rito dahil kompleto na ang malalaman mo sa pagbababoyan sa thread na yon.  When I say kompleto ay...as in KOMPLETO talaga.  Kagaya ng ibang members ay duon din sa thread na yon ako nagkaroon ng idea na pasukin ang pagbababoyan.

@duckduck,

hi sir, slamat sa advice, yes i will read all the trheads here about swine raising, anyway, sana mapost nyo na ung mga pics about dbs, or if possible masend nyo sa akin, wagnerwagner94@yahoo.com
my plan kc is to start my pens next march or april, when i'll have my vacation, d2 pa kc ako sa kuwait now, but if i can decide the pens, i can send them the drawings especially kung may makopyahn ako mga pens.
(pagaling kayo, ingat lagi)

mga kuyang..ok na po yung dbs ko for finisher at may laman na din po lima lang muna hehehe..ang laki nito ay 3x6M..maluwag na maluwag yung lima..ito po ang obserbasyon ko sa mga biik..nung una naming pinakawalan sa dbs tuwang tuwa sila at naglalaro sa ipa area, maliliksi sila at bwelo. dbs na din yung farrowing pen kaya parang sanay na sila sa ipa. pero po after mga 4 days parang ayaw na nilang pumunta sa ipa area nila kahit p nga may bagyong dumating at malamig ang panahon e dun pa din sila sa labangan nahihiga..ano po kaya ang problema nito..masyado po bang maiinit ang ipa para sa kanila? nung nakuha po namin yung ipa e maulan kaya may mga portion na talagang medyo basa na yung ipa nang ilagay namin sa pen, pero since ayaw na nila puntahan yung ipa area at unte-unti na ding natuyo. nagsabit na nga po ako ng bunot ng niyog dun sa playground nila pra may mapaglaruan sila, yun saglot lang sila laro tapos sa labangan ulit matutulog kahit pa malamig ang panahon na dapat e lilipat sila sa ipa..wisik naman kami ng hugas bigas kada umaga..dapat po ba talagang soak wet yung ipa ng hugas bigas or dapat dinidilig ng tubig?

isa pa pong obserbasyon na baka ikako kaya sa labangan nahihiga mga biik e dahil sa malamig ang simoy ng hanhin sa ipa area kaya nilagyan ko po kagad ng trapal yung dakong sinisimuyan ng malamig na hangin at pinalitan ko po ng bagong ipa yung ibabaw..pero ganun pa din ayaw nila mamalagi sa ipa gayung hindi naman ganuon kainit ang ipa..nagtate na po ang  mga biik ko,,nu po kaya mgandang gawin dito..
sana po mapaunlakan nyo ang ktanungan ko..more power ang GOD BLESS..MALIGAYANG PASKO DIN PO...

nhelmercs wrote:

mga kuyang..ok na po yung dbs ko for finisher at may laman na din po lima lang muna hehehe..ang laki nito ay 3x6M..maluwag na maluwag yung lima..ito po ang obserbasyon ko sa mga biik..nung una naming pinakawalan sa dbs tuwang tuwa sila at naglalaro sa ipa area, maliliksi sila at bwelo. dbs na din yung farrowing pen kaya parang sanay na sila sa ipa. pero po after mga 4 days parang ayaw na nilang pumunta sa ipa area nila kahit p nga may bagyong dumating at malamig ang panahon e dun pa din sila sa labangan nahihiga..ano po kaya ang problema nito..masyado po bang maiinit ang ipa para sa kanila? nung nakuha po namin yung ipa e maulan kaya may mga portion na talagang medyo basa na yung ipa nang ilagay namin sa pen, pero since ayaw na nila puntahan yung ipa area at unte-unti na ding natuyo. nagsabit na nga po ako ng bunot ng niyog dun sa playground nila pra may mapaglaruan sila, yun saglot lang sila laro tapos sa labangan ulit matutulog kahit pa malamig ang panahon na dapat e lilipat sila sa ipa..wisik naman kami ng hugas bigas kada umaga..dapat po ba talagang soak wet yung ipa ng hugas bigas or dapat dinidilig ng tubig?

isa pa pong obserbasyon na baka ikako kaya sa labangan nahihiga mga biik e dahil sa malamig ang simoy ng hanhin sa ipa area kaya nilagyan ko po kagad ng trapal yung dakong sinisimuyan ng malamig na hangin at pinalitan ko po ng bagong ipa yung ibabaw..pero ganun pa din ayaw nila mamalagi sa ipa gayung hindi naman ganuon kainit ang ipa..nagtate na po ang  mga biik ko,,nu po kaya mgandang gawin dito..
sana po mapaunlakan nyo ang ktanungan ko..more power ang GOD BLESS..MALIGAYANG PASKO DIN PO...

Sir nhelmercs,

Kung hindi ako nagkakamali ay ito ang pic ng DBS mo, paki confirm lang po:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/arnelmercadopigsdbs.jpg

Ito po ang mga napansin ko sa setup ng DBS mo:

1. Ang labangan (pakainan or feeding troughs) ay walang rebar dividers na 8" apart na dapat ay makapasok lang ang ulo ng biik para kumain.  Dahil dito, pag oras ng pagkain ay nakakapasok ang buong katawan nila sa loob ng labangan at duon na pati sila tumatae, umiihi, nagpapahinga at magloblob. 

Ito marahil ang dahilan kaya sila nagtatae na dahil contaminated na ang feeding troughs ng kanilang tae at ihi.  Kahit linisin mo ang loob ng labangan ay may mga bad bacteria na ang labangan na puedeng pagmulan ng sakit that your eyes can not see.  Wala pa akong masyadong experience, pero palagay ko patingnan mo na sa vet ang mga biik mo bago lumala ang pagtatae nila.

2. Ang cement flooring sa harap ng labangan or feeding troughs (PAHINGAHAN) ay dapat ipantay mo sa hollow block edge ng pool, para pagnaglinis ay deretso agad sa loob ng pool area ang maruming tubig.  Magtambak ka lang ng mga bato bato bago ka magbuhos sa cement flooring para manipis na lang ang concrete at menos ka sa gastos sa concrete mix.

3. Ang pool ay dapat may butas sa gilid ng wall para duon lalabas ang mga maruming tubig tuwing maglilinis. Araw araw ang paglinis at dapat ang butas ay may pasak na pvc pipe sa labas na paitaas ang kadugtong para pag nakataas ay puede mong punuin ng tubig ang pool pero hindi tatagas sa open canal sa labas.  Pag ibinaba mo naman ang pvc pipe extension sa labas ay saka lang aawas ang tubig papunta sa open canal sa labas.  Ang lahat ng maruming tubig na aawas sa open canal sa labas ay dapat deretso na sa septic tank na gagawin mo kadugtong ng open canal sa labas ng wall. 

Pag may nakita kang solid na mga tae sa DBS area (pahingahan at laruan), or sa loob ng pool or sa ibabaw ng concrete flooring (pahingahan), damputin mo ng dash pan at itapon sa labas sa compost pile para don mainitan at later ay maging fertilizer.

4.  In the meantime ay huwag ka na munang magpakain sa labangan.  Maglagay ka na lang muna ng conventional na pakainan sa concrete cement flooring para maiwasan ang contamination ng feeds. Ang conventional pakainan ay dapat may divider din para hindi sila makapasok sa loob.

5.  Hindi pa lang siguro sanay sa DBS area ang mga biik mo.  Besides, bukod sa DBS area ay meron pa silang 3 napupuntahan lugar na pahingahan, which were the labangan na may pagkain, concrete cement flooring na normal na pahingahan din ng mga biik, at ang pool na normal ding gusto nilang puntahan at paglaruan. Ang importante ay gamutin mo ang pagtatae nila para maging healthy sila.  Paglaki nila ay masasanay din sila sa DBS area.

Hope this helps.  I stand to be corrected po.

Mga Kuyang,

Ito naman ang pinadala sa akin ni Sir nhelmercs na pic ng DBS farrowing pen na patterned nia after EIOZ design.  He requested me to post the pic here for your comments and suggestions dahil wala raw siang malaking lugar at medyo kapos sa budget.  Any help would be much appreciated daw.  Ang sabi nia ay nakatulong daw talaga ang DBS sa mga biik at hindi na raw sia gumamit ng electric bulbs as heater sa mga biik.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/arnelmercadodbsfarrowingpen.jpg

Sir Wagner72,

Ito po ang pics ng mga tanim na kinakain ng mga baboy:

1. Indigofera:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/indigofera.jpg

2. Flemengia:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/Flemingia.jpg

3. Rensonii:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/rensonii.jpg

4. Madre de Agua:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/MADREDEAGUA.jpg

5. Oil Palm tree seedlings:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/AFRICANOILPALMSEEDLINGS.jpg

Marami na akong tanim na Madre de Agua sa farm ko at may pakinabang na rin sa merienda ng mga baboy.

Meron na rin akong tanim na 100 Oil Palm Tree seedlings sa buong paligid ng farm ko and I expect them to start bearing fruits for the pigs 18 months from now.

I am arranging to buy 50 seedlings of nos. 1, 2 and 3 para itanim ko pa sa paligid ng farm.  As usual I am always looking for alternative plants that can reduce my feed cost.

22 (edited by duckduck Dec 25 2011 09:01:47)

Mga Kuyang,

Ito ang design ng DBS farrowing pens ni Sir Eioz.  So far ito ang pinaggayahan ng DBS farrowing pens ko, ni nhelmercs, at ni Sir Kenbats:

Pic no. 1:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/03062011089.jpg

Pic no. 2:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/05062011098.jpg

Ito naman ang farrowing pens ko na ginaya ko sa design ni Sir Eioz, although hindi namin nakopya eksakto dahil hindi pa sanay magwelding ang farm worker ko:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC07445.jpg

Ito naman ang farrowing pens ni Sir Kenbats, also patterned after Sir Eioz's design with some modifications.  According to Kenneth, wala daw silang mortality sa design na ito. Lalagyan daw nia ng steel railings ang paligid na bakod dahil mababa daw at nakakatalon na sa kabila ang mga biik.  So far, Sir Kenbats and nhelmercs are attesting that this design of Eioz of the DBS farrowing pen were proven effective:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/kenbatspiggery.jpg

Sir Kenbats has given me permission to post here his sketches that were used in the construction of his DBS farrowing pens.  The sketches can be modified by the user according to his needs.  They might be of help to those who are thinking of making one:

Pic no. 1:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/farrowcrate1.jpg

Pic no. 2:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/Farrow2.jpg

Pic no. 3:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/Farrow3.jpg

Pinadalhan din ako ni Sir Kenbats ng mga sketches ng gestating pens and I am posting them here if it can be of help to other members:

Pic No. 1 BRACKET LEFT/RIGHT:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GESTATING1.jpg

Pic No. 2 DIVIDER TYPE 1:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GESTATING2.jpg

Pic No. 3 DIVIDER TYPE 2:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GESTATING3.jpg

Pic No. 4 DIVIDER TYPE 3:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GESTATING4.jpg

Pic No. 5 BILLS OF MATERIALS:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GESTATING5.jpg

Pic No. 6 BACK VIEW PERSPECTIVE:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GESTATING6.jpg

Pic No. 7 DOOR TYPE NO. 5:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GESTATING7.jpg

Pic No. 8  DOOR TYPE 6 & 7:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GESTATING8.jpg

Pic No. 9  FRONT VIEW PERSPECTIVE:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GESTATING9.jpg

Pic No. 10  PLAN LAYOUT DETAIL:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GESTATING10.jpg

Pic No. 11  DOOR TYPE 1:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GESTATING11.jpg

Pic no. 12  DOOR TYPE 2 & 3:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GESTATING12.jpg

Wow these pictures and drawings are amazing!!!!

Posting some pics of Sir Wintuha's alternative feed preparation.  According to him, he saves a lot on commercial feeds already by being able to make alternative feeds out of plants and legumes in his farm.

Pic no. 1:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC03148.jpg

Pic No. 2:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC03147.jpg

Pic no. 3:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC03143.jpg

Pic No. 4:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC03142.jpg

Pic No. 5:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC03137.jpg

Pic No. 6:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC03150.jpg

Pic No. 7:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC03149.jpg

Pic No. 8:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC03146.jpg

Pic No. 9:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC03141.jpg

27 (edited by duckduck May 12 2014 06:31:17)

To those who wants to fabricate an auto feeder, here are some pics that can help:

1. My auto feeder in action. Sir Wintuha's welder fabricated this for me and I can have it duplicated anytime now.  BTW, the 15-capacity P.I.G.S. ay gumastos lang ako ng P22,000 by using mumurahin na materiales.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC00301.jpg

2. The auto feeder assembled:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC1092.jpg

3. The auto feeder disassembled, from left to right..a) the inverted cone on top of the tire, b) the big cyclone tank or "feed holder", c) the small round cylinder or "feed outlet" with the G.I. pipe inside it. Note: Yong pong malaking tanke ay water tank at hindi po part ng auto feeder:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/autofeeder2disassembled.jpg

4. Big cyclone tank or "feed holder" about 15” in diameter, with a cone shape G.I. sheet welded at the bottom also. This is fixed on top of the "cylinder/feed outlet" with paddle, which is the movable part:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC1083.jpg

5. The inverted cone G.I.Sheet gauge 16 welded to the tire rim that serves as the base of the cylinder for easy movement by the pigs. Sa ibaba po ay ang tire or goma ng truck, to serve as the base of the tire rim where the inverted cone G.I. Sheet is to be welded to serve as the base of the cylinder/feed outlet.  Note also that a 1” washer is welded on top of the inverted cone to serve as clearance of the bottom of the cylinder/feed outlet where the feed come out once the pig rotates or move upward the cylinder.  The 1” washer can be a "cut portion" of a G.I. Pipe and it can be made shorter or longer than 1” depending on the desired "feed clearance":
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC1084.jpg

6. The small round cylinder or "feed outlet", that is 1 foot height and 7.5” in diameter with paddle made of corrugated bar 9mm diameter (“4” shape for easy movement or “ungkal” by the pigs):
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC1085.jpg

7. Front to rear... a)G.I. pipe, b)Feed Outlet or big cyclone tank, and c) Feed Holder or small round cylinder:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC1086.jpg

28 (edited by duckduck Jul 21 2014 12:00:46)

Wagner72, ito na ang request mo.  Dito ko na nilagay para makita din ng iba.

Actually dito ko lang nakuha ang idea ng P.I.G.S. housing ko.  Please click on the link.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW8cu7HlqMs. I just modified the layout inside at pinagitna ko ang pool sa feeding troughs to separate the feeding troughs from the DBS area. Sa ganon, ay dadaan muna ang mga baboy sa pool bago makarating sa feeding troughs pag kakain na.  Malilinis ang mga paa nila pagdaan sa pool at maiwasan ang contamination ng feeds.

Posting pics of how I built my modified P.I.G.S. (Profitable Indigenous Growing System in You Tube) pig housing in my farm.  The 20-capacity P.I.G.S. was completed on June 30, 2011 and we successfully raised 15 piglets to maturity in it without any problem. Total cost of the P.I.G.S. ay P22K, which is suited for backyard farmers that have low budget.

1. The framings are made of bamboos that my farm workers harvested in the forest for free.  Naglagay lang sila ng konting hollow block walls sa existing cement rik-rap ng garden plot at doon ibinaon ang mga bamboo posts:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIGS1A.jpg

2. Close-up ng bamboo framings:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/PIGS1B.jpg

3. Nagkahugis na ang P.I.G.S. Nilagyan nila ng bubong agad para hindi sila naarawan pagtrabaho sa loob.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC1744-1.jpg

4. Naghukay ng 1 meter lalim sa lupa:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC2126.jpg

5. Naglalagay ng bato bato bago magbuhos ng concrete mix para makatipid sa concrete mix. Hindi naman kasi masyado mabigat ang mga baboy kaya kahit manipis lang ang concrete mix ay puede na:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC2128.jpg

6. Bago magbuhos ay nilagyan ng aggregate ang ibabaw ng mga bato bato. Mapapansin na naglagay na rin ng mga DBS materials sa hinukay na 1 meter lalim sa lupa. Iba ibang layers ng DBS materials and nilagay sa hukay:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC2498.jpg

7. Tapos na rin ang concrete floor area at magbubuhos na lang sa flooring ng pool:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC2871.jpg

8. Nabuhusan na ng concrete mix ang flooring ng pool:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC3057.jpg

9. Ng matapos na ang plumbing works ay ito na ang hitsura ng P.I.G.S. ko. Hindi pa nagawa ang open canal at septic tank sa labas:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC2131.jpg

10. Nilagyan ko ng 15 piglets ang P.I.G.S. ko. Mapapansin na masaya silang naglalaro sa DBS area. Nagtatakbuhan dahil may tumatawag sa kanila para kumain na.:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/dagdagipafter42days.jpg

11. Sa una ay gamit nila ang auto feeder:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/3monthssaaug19.jpg

12. Pinakakain din namin sila ng mga dahon ng madre de agua, dahon ng malungay, dahon ng kamote, at mga root crops such as laman ng kamote:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC03276.jpg

13. Ng lumaki na sila ay masikip na ang auto feeder, kaya pinatangal ko na at sa concrete feeding troughs na sila kumakain.  Konti na lang ang natitira sa kanila ngayon dahil ang 4 na babae ay pinili ng vet na gawing gilts at ang iba ay kinakatay namin at binibenta ng retail dahil napakababa ang live weight price:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/15pigletsinmodifiedPIGs.jpg

29 (edited by duckduck Dec 26 2011 18:30:46)

Sir Fapper and mga kuyang,

Ilan ang nabenta ninyong baboy ng retail ngayong pasko? 

Kami ay nakapagkatay lang ng 2 baboy nitong nakaraang bisperas ng pasko. Pati 2 ulo merong bumili. Malapit na rin kaming magkatay ng paisa isa para sa freezer sa farm dahil parami na ng parami ang bumibili ng frozen meat na mga kapitbahay namin.  Pati mga kakilala sa bayan ay may bumibili na rin ng frozen meat.     

Magkakatay daw uli sila ng 2 baboy bisperas ng New Year.

Kasalakuyang nagpapagawa ako ng maliliit na P.I.G.S., 10-capacity each at balak kong lagyan ng mga biik na iba iba ang edad para hindi na ako maubusan ng mga baboy na kakatayin ng paunti-unti.  Mukhang mas simple pa ang magalaga na lang ng mga finishing hogs.

Here is the pic of 1 of 4 small 10-capacity P.I.G.S. ko still under construction.  Meron akong 2 pang partitions na lupa pa ang flooring na kadugtong ng DBS farrowing pens ko.  Ang size ng 2 partitions ay 12 feet W x 39 feet L each, meron ng NIPA roofing, concrete posts and walls.  Kaya pinalagyan ko na lang ng hollow block walls sa gitna ng bawat partitions sa pagitan ng concrete posts para maging 4 na small P.I.G.S. 10-capacity each.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC07786.jpg

30 (edited by duckduck Dec 29 2011 01:41:52)

Posting pics of my DBS pig housing.

1. Meron na akong existing structure with NIPA roofing, kaya I just modified it into a DBS pig housing patterned after the design of Kuyang C.  Di hamak na low cost compared to Kuyang C's, pero sinunod ko naman ang major specs and I think mine is equally effective.  Ang loob ng structure ay lupa kaya cenemento ko na lang at nilagyan ng feeding troughs and plumbing works.  Ang loob ang pahingahan at pakainan sa mga baboy.  Ang labas ang open DBS area at open na paliguan ng mga baboy.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC0759.jpg

2. Construction of the pool area:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC0786.jpg

3. Binuhusan na ang flooring ng pool:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC0920.jpg

4. Hinuhukay na ang 1 meter lalim sa lupa para sa DBS area:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC1624.jpg

5. Naglatag ng mga bato bato at the bottom of the 1 meter lalim na hukay. Dahil nasa labas ang DBS area ay minabuti namin na ang pinakailalim at second layer ay designed as septic tank para mabilis ang seepage ng tubig mula sa ibabaw ng DBS area.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC1668.jpg

6. Second layer from the bottom ay pinatungan namin ng aggregate na binili namin mula sa mga kumukuha sa ilog.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC1685.jpg

7. Tapos pinatungan namin ng mga dinurog na balat ng niyog. Marami sa amin nito at binibigay lang ng libre ng mga gumagawa ng copra.  Kung wala sa lugar ninyo ay puedeng wala na rin nito.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC1691.jpg

8. My mixer mixing the soil, sand and IPA. Then the soil and IPA only
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC1756.jpg

9. After the layers of soil/sand/ipa and soil/IPA and at the very top the layer of IPA only.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC1758.jpg

10. Finished and ready to use except for minor plumber works.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC1926.jpg

11. Nilagyan ko ng 2 gilts and I think they enjoy their outdoor DBS area and pool.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/GEDC0276.jpg

12. Ang 2 gilts sa pic no. 11. ay nilipat ko na sa DBS farrowing pen sa kabila at itong conventional pen with open DBS area ay ginawa ko na lang community pen ng mga gilts at palakasan ng sow na bagong walay sa mga biik. Dito ko nilipat ang 4 na gilts na pinili ng vet para pagpractisan namin na gawing sow. Mapapansin na maluwag pa sila sa loob.  Naglalandi na raw sila pero sabi ng vet ay wala pa sa edad, kaya sa Feb. or March pa scheduled ang AI nila:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC07469.jpg

13. Matapos kumain ay deretso sila sa labas para tumae at umihi duon sa sulok. Tapos ay sa pool at open DBS area para magpahinga:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/tonyjao/DSC07614.jpg

dalawa baboy pinakatay ko nuon dec 24 kuyang d. yun nga lang madami natirang buto buto dahil ang trip ng mga mamimili pala pag christmas ay bbq at puro laman, porkchop at liempo ang gusto nila. hehehe. kaya eto puno ng butobuto ang ref namin. hopefully ma dispose ko rin during the week before new year. madami din nagkatay dito sa barangay namin nuon 24 (ang sabi sakin na matador ko 8 heads na baboy ang schedule nya that day including my two) pero madali lang ma dispose. hindi ko pa nasubukan mag frozen meat pero eto din ang balak ko balang araw. pinag aaralan ko pa ang marketing sa pag katay. mas gugustuhin ko sana mag benta ng liveweight pero kung papatol ako sa ganitong klase ng marketing at sa presyo ng mga biyahero ngayon, ang best possible scenario ay break even lang ako which is not good enough dahil ang tagal matutulog ang pera sa baboy. atleast sa pakatay mababa na ang 1000 pesos na net profit kahit pa panget o bansot ang baboy pag pinakatay kikita parin ng konti. ingat lang po sa pautang ang piliin mabuti ang papautangin.

32 (edited by duckduck Dec 26 2011 08:59:57)

Sir Ronski,

Palagay ko unti unti ay madedevelop natin ang profitable marketing ng mga baboy natin.  Si Sir Fapper, balita ko ay ganon na rin ang experience...profitable na rin.  I think if there is any requirements from the authorities later on, we can easily comply with them.

We can always post here any experience we encountered...good or bad para makapagisip tayo ng solusyon for all members to benefit.

So far sa mga pautang namin, nakolekta pa rin namin lahat.  Kasi sa barangay lang namin kami nagbebenta sa ngayon at kilala namin sila lahat.  Isa pa ay kababata ko ang barangay captain namin kaya madali ng humingi ng tulong.  he he he.

Sianga pala, bago nabura yong original thread, ay pinaguusapan natin kung puede tayo mamili ng live weight na baboy at alagaan muna natin bago katayin.  Palagay ko sa lugar ninyo ay marami ng may DBS kaya madali ka ng makapamili ng live weight basta taasan mo lang ng P5 or P10 per kilo compared sa buying price ng mga biahero.  Pag kinatay mo ay malaki pa rin profit mo at wala ka pang hirap sa pagpalaki ng baboy.  In our case na halos lahat ay conventional pens pa rin ang pig housing nila, ay halos pareho lang ang ibebenta namin sa mga binibenta ng lahat sa palengke.  Alagan lang namin ng at least 2 weeks para masigurado na healthy at malinis ang mga baboy.

Mga Kuyang,

Nagkatay na din kami noong Dec 24, bale 2 baboy ang kinatay namin...naubos naman. merun pa sa bagong taon naman ung 2 merun pa natitirang 6, Maganda pa din magkatay kaysa ibenta ng liveweight, sa simula lang mahirap pero pag naka establish na ng customer eh maganda ang disposal. Need din ng freezer para sa mga left over para kahit anung oras pwede sila makabili. Pag sunday eh fresh ang karne kinabukasan hanggang sabado eh frozen na.

erik_0930 wrote:

Mga Kuyang,

Nagkatay na din kami noong Dec 24, bale 2 baboy ang kinatay namin...naubos naman. merun pa sa bagong taon naman ung 2 merun pa natitirang 6, Maganda pa din magkatay kaysa ibenta ng liveweight, sa simula lang mahirap pero pag naka establish na ng customer eh maganda ang disposal. Need din ng freezer para sa mga left over para kahit anung oras pwede sila makabili. Pag sunday eh fresh ang karne kinabukasan hanggang sabado eh frozen na.

Wow!!! Halos parepareho pala tayo ng experience nina Sir Ronski.  Palagay ko ganon din si Sir Fapper. he he he.

35 (edited by erik_0930 Dec 26 2011 09:12:01)

duckduck wrote:
erik_0930 wrote:

Mga Kuyang,

Wow!!! Halos parepareho pala tayo ng experience nina Sir Ronski.  Palagay ko ganon din si Sir Fapper. he he he.

Sa Bulacan at Zambales ginagawa ko na ito at lagi namang nauubos bukod sa pautang, merun bili ng cash sa amin kc mas mura kaysa palengke..

36 (edited by duckduck Dec 26 2011 11:06:57)

Mga Kuyang and Ateng, baka balak nyong gumamit ng bamboos sa low-cost P.I.G.S. ninyo ay makakatulong ito in bamboo preservation para maging matibay ang gagamiting bamboos.

Methods of Preserving Bamboo

Broad Grouping: 1. Non-chemical or traditional method; 2. Chemical method

A. Non-chemical method:

1. Soaking in running water - culms are submerged in running water as in a
river or creek for two to three months, then air-dried.  This reduces the
starch content of the culms thus improving their resistance to powder post
beetles but not to termites or fungi.

2. Smoking - culms are cut into desired lengths and placed above the kitchen
stove until they turn sooty black.  The exposure to heat and smoke protects the
culms against bio-deterioration.

3. Whitewashing - round or split bamboo is painted with cooked lime to prevent the entry of moisture which favors fungal growth

4. Mud coating - the bamboo culms are coated with mud to prevent beetle
harborage.

B. Common Chemical Method:

1. Non-pressure methods

a. Spraying or brushing - Spray or brush the chemical solution on the bamboo
culms.  This prophylactic treatment has a temporary effect because the
penetration of preservatives is very shallow.

b. Soaking - used in treating small pieces of bamboos. Completely submerge the
culms pieces in the chemical solution. Halved drum joined end to end or ground
pits lined with plastic sheets may be used as treating troughs.

c. Sap replacement -Let freshly cut culms with branches and leaves still
intact, stand in a container with 5 to 10 liters of preservative solution.
Through cell respiration and leaf transpiration, the solution is drawn up the
stem.

2. Pressure Method - Dry poles are placed inside a cylinder and the
preservative is forced through pressure application. FPRDI has developed a
system for chemically treating freshly cut bamboo poles by pressure method
using High Pressure Sap Displacement (HPSD) treating equipment

Preservative Chemicals:

The common chemicals for protecting bamboo culms are Cislin, Fermay Plus,
Timbor and CCA

Cislin -is a synthetic pyrethroid insecticide which is non-staining, can be 
easily diluted with water and biodegradable. Recommended for treating bamboo
against boring insects at 0.01% level.

Recommmended Cislin Treatment Solution:  Mix 4 milliliters Cislin with 1 liter
of water

Farmay Plus- this is broad spectrum fungicide which is effective against molds,
staining and decay fungi.  Comparable with such insecticides as Cislin and Timbor

The recommnded concentration is 0.2%

Recommended Farmay Plus treatment solution considers the athmospheric condition
during the rainy season, mix 1 part Farmay Plus with 5 parts water. during the
dry season, mix 1 part Farmay Plus with 200 parts water

Timbor - This colorless preservative has disodium octaborate tetrahydrate as
active ingredient. It is effective against bamboo boring insects at 10% level

Timbor is suited for treating bamboo that will be used only indoors because the
chemical leaches out when exposed outdoors.

Recommended Timbor treatment solution : Dissolve 1 part Timbor in 10 parts water

CCA - Chromated Copper Arsenate - comes in paste form. It is water-borne
effective against bamboo boring insects and fungal decay at 5%

CCA is comparatively cheaper than the other chemicals but leaves a green
coloring on the treated material. It should be used for furniture or craft
products only when green coloring is desired or if these will be stained.

Recommended CCA treatment solution : Dissolve 1.0 kg of CCA in 20 liters of
water.

Treatment  Procedure:

Cislin and Timbor are insecticides only. To make the treatment solution
effective against both insects and fungi, add the recommended concentration of
Farmay Plus to either Cislin or Timbor. Boric acid is also a fungicide which
can be mixed with Timbor in a 1:1 proportion.

Soak the materials to be protected in the prepared Cislin and Farmay Plus
solution for 5 minutes. Brush or spray the solution on the materials.

Or, soak the materials in the prepared Timbor-Farmay Plus or Timbor-boric acid
solution for 2 hours. Allow to dry in slanting position on supports so bottom
ends do not touch the ground.

Or, soak the materials in the prepared CCA solution.  The length of soaking
time depends on the condition to which the materials will be exposed, namely:

Condition of use                                                  Soaking Period
Indoor                                                                     3 days
outdoor not in contact with ground                         5 days
Outdoor in contact with ground                                 7 days
In water/wet                                                           10 days

Source: Bamboo Processing Training Manual, Forest Products Research and Development Institute (FPRDI), College Laguna, July 1999.

Bamboo Seasoning

Bamboo should be dried to the moisture level of the surroundings to remain stable and free of  the drying-related defects.  Well seasoned bamboo has a number of advantages that include improved strength properties and less likelihood of damaging fungi and insect attack.

Seasoning can be done through natural or artificial means: natural, by air drying; artificial , under controlled conditions or kiln drying. .

information on bamboo treatment with Borax and Boric Acid (Shared by Dr. Eric Cleuren)
Borax and boric acid are widely recognized as relatively cheap,
efficient and less harmful chemicals for treating bamboo (they are not
completely harmless and therefore contact with the skin should be avoided
during the treatment process).  The extra advantage is that it has a
fire-retardant effect on the treated bamboo.

METHOD:
The most widely used formula is a proportion of 1:1 in a 2%  to 5 % solution
Use dry bamboo and submerge it in 1 kg borax + 1 kg boric acid + 50 l of water.
You can also dilute it more (100 l of water) or less (25 l)
according to the kind of product and its use, but 50 l is a good average.   
Both products dilute much better in warm water, so start with a small
amount of warm water before adding it to the large bath) Keep the bamboo
submerged at least during 24 hours and 48 hours if possible.
Dry the bamboo afterwards protected from direct sun light, horizontally
(because vertical may enhance the drying process and cause cracks)
The solutions can be used several times, but that depends on the starch
content of your bamboo. How to know that the solution can be used for
another time? Apply Litmus paper before and after the submersion and
when the Ph level has changed drastically, it is time to replace the
solution.
The prices in the Philippines:
1 kg borax: 40 pesos
1 kg boric acid: 70 pesos

Other pointers in bamboo preservation:

Preservation of Bamboo in Service: By Walter Liese (Chair for Wood Biology, Hamburg University, Germany)

Abstract: Bamboo culms are an excellent material for countless applications. Their wider use for construction is encouraged by the growing scarcity of timber. Since bamboo has a low natural resistance, protection against biological degradation is of vital importance for long term service.

Protective measures without chemicals are preferable, but often limited in their effectiveness. When using preservatives, the restricted permeability of culm tissue, choice of preservative and treatment method and environmental effects as well as economical aspects have to be considered.

Keywords: Bamboo, deterioration, permeability, protection, preservation,
preservatives, treatment techniques, environment, economics

According to the constitution of the Academy, the phrase "wood science" covers "lignified natural materials" of which bamboo is an important component. The Academy Lecture given at the IUFRO World Congress 1986 in Ljubijana deait with "Research on Bamboo".  On this occasion I want to be more specific with the "Protection of Bamboo in Service".  There is no other country in the worid, in which bamboo plays such a major role as a multi-purpose commodity as in China, with a total area of about 4. 4 mill. ha bamboo forest, a production of 2. 2 mill. tons shoots, 12 mill. tons of culms, partly converted in about 200 mills into over 1 millon m3 panels of various products. The China bamboo industry contributes about 2. 2 billion USD annually to its economy, and goods for 400 mill. USD are exported. AIso, 5. 6 million people are working with bamboo, of which 4. 5 in the forest and 1. 1 million in factories. Therefore bamboo has to be on the agenda of this conference with at least one paper.

Bamboo in Service: Among the many uses, bamboo is an important construction material, such as scaffolding, bridges, shelters, towers and for simple and modern engineered structures. Bamboo houses provide homes for a billion people, not only in rural areas, where it is considered as a cheap, replaceable material. Its wider use as a substitute for wood is supported by the increasing scarcity and expense of timber in several bamboo producing countries. Its wider acceptances however is often hindered due to problems with biological degradation of the raw material, construction components as well as finished products.

A wide range of protective procedures, including chemical preservation methods are known, but not regularly applied. The reasons are lack of knowledge about possibilities for bamboo protection, lack of adequate treatment facilities and chemical preservatives, uncertainty about its economics and lack of demand for treated bamboo components. Protection of this versatile material, especially in areas where longer service life is desired, can result in immense social and economical benefits. An increase in bamboo availability would facilitate employment potential, save processing and labor costs, which would otherwise occur due to frequent replacement of degraded bamboo components. In the following only a brief overview about some facts and problems can be presented. Details are given in the "Bamboo Preservation Compendium" by W. Liese and S. Kumar, presently as INBAR Technical Report 22 in print.

Natural durability: For its utilization bamboo has a few serious obstacles, mainly its low durability against biodegradation and its low penetrability for preservatives. Bamboo culms do not produce any toxic substances during their lifetime, unlike the heartwood of many trees. In contrast to timber, a bamboo culm consists of about 40 % parenchyma cells which are filled with nutritious starch, even in older culms. Only in flowering bamboo, the starch is used up for the seed production. Much belief exists that the cutting around the full moon phase may result in an increased resistance. This is also said for timber but detailed investigations have been unable to substantiate these claims. Starch affects the susceptibility against borers and blue-stain fungi, so that harvesting during or after the rainy season, when starch content is lowest, reduces incipient attack during storage.

The common water-storage of fresh culms has a similar effect, since the starch is degraded, mainly by bacteria. The susceptibility against damaging fungi and insects is however hardly reduced.

In ground contact, bamboo structures are destroyed in less than two years, under cover after 4 -7 years, but may last 10-15 years and much longer under favorable conditions.

Main criteria for the service life are the environmental conditions around the bamboo structures, as well as the physical access of damaging organisms.

Non chemical protection: A long standing tradition exists to protect the bamboo structures by constructional methods which prevent the access of moisture and keep the material dry. Their main advantage is that no toxic chemicals with their unpleasant side-effects have to be applied. Well-known are the base-supports by stones, pre-formed concrete footings or even durable or pressure treated wood blocks. If the environment is unsuitable for beetles and fungi, impressive structures can be built, like in the Cordillera region of Colombia, where in an altitude above 1.500 m termites can not exist. Another common method for protection without chemicals is the plastering of bamboo mats with mud, clay or cement. Plastering is not only applied by villagers, but also for urban houses in many countries, where split bamboo walls are covered on both sides with mortar. The tight seal protects the bamboo against moisture and prevents the entry of beetles. The common bahàreque technique in countries such as Colombia and Costa Rica uses coarsely woven bamboo panels which are plastered on both sides with cement.

The bamboo smoking system as applied traditionally in Japan by storing fresh bamboo above a fireplace has been recently developed further in Colombia for commerciaI large-scale operations. A square or cylindrical furnace with a chimney is filled with semi-dry culms and heated by burning organic matters at around 55°C for 15-30 days until the moisture content is reduced to about 12%. The incomplete combustion generates smoke, that should penetrate the culm. During heating a partial pyrolysis of bamboo substances occurs. The expected effect is an increased resistance against fungi and beetle attack. An impressive example was the ZERI pavilion at the EXPO 2000 in Hannover, where about 3,500 culms of 9 m length were smoke-treated in Colombia and transported to Germany. Regrettably, this unique example of modern bamboo architecture by Simon Velez had to be dismantled at the end of the fair, so that long-time exposure and testing were not possible. Our laboratory results with samples and other observations on corresponding structures in Colombia indicate that such bamboo is not immune against biological degradation. Presently, the paraeters for the process are being systematically evaluated in order to improve the promising method. Even then, the culms can be used only for outside application, due to their intensive smell, beside their darkened surface.

For timber, a heat treatment has been developed in recent years with a wider application. The material is submitted to temperatures above 150°C for a better dimensional stability and improved resistance against micro-organisms due to the modification of organic matter. Experiments with split bamboo at temperatures above 200°C have resulted in an enhanced durability against fungal attack, but the mechanical properties are severely reduced, as also observed for timber. Consequently, the heat treatment may be applicable only for selected uses.

Protection with chemicals: In most cases, chemical treatment of bamboo is required. A key factor for the protection is the sufficient preservation of the culm. Unlike timber, the bamboo tissue is rather resistant towards penetration of liquids due to its anatomical structure.

Treatability: The uptake of a preservation solution is restricted mainly to the metaxylem vessels, which run through the culm like long "water-pipes". At the nodes, they become partly structurally modified by branching, so that the passage through a node may be hindered. Their total volume amounts to only 6%-8%, so that the remaining tissue of fibres and parenchyma has to be protected by diffusion. Ray cells, like in wood do not exist in the bamboo-grass. The degree of axial penetration is often reduced after the culm is harvested and starts drying. As a typical wound reaction, slime extrudes from the parenchyma cells into the vessels causing a blockage of the lumina. Monopodial bamboos, like Moso, Phyllostachs edulis, also produce tyloses as balloon-like protrusions into the metaxylem vessels.

The uptake at the leaf scars and the cut branches at the nodes is minimal.

The culm is covered on its outer side by a special layer, the cuticula, which hinders any penetration by simple treatments, such as soaking.  At the inner culm wall, suberin layers lying on sclerotic parenchyma cells also hinder any penetration, although to a much larger extent than from the outside.

This special anatomical make-up of the bamboo culm as well as its moisture content must be taken into consideration when choosing a suitable preservative and method to be applied.

Preservative treatment:  As preservatives, mainly water-home types are in use, especially non-fixing salts. They can penetrate by diffusion and thus protect the entire culm. Boron compounds are most widely used for culms and products under cover, since water or ground contact may induce a leaching of the toxic components. CCA and the CCB-types are also used, mainly in companies which normally treat timber.
Creosote is rarely used anymore due to the unpleasant handling of the culms and the environmental side-effects.

For prophylactic protection of bamboo in storage, mainly insecticides are applied. Fire retardants are hardly used. They can be used only under cover and need a high uptake of preservative.

Natural toxicants are tried from several plants, such as Aziderata indica (called Neem), Calotropis gigantea (Calotropin) and Stemona tuberosa (Stemonacol). They are applied for protection of bamboo handicrafts. The treatment methods for bamboo depend mainly on the intended use, the type of material and the environmental aspects.

As a non -pressure process, the "butt -end treatment", is common whereby the base of fresh culms is kept immersed in a container. It is a simple process without special skills, but may save much material, like as support for fruit trees. The soaking method is also often applied. The fresh culms are submerged in a boron-based preservative for 7-10 days. To ease the sidewise penetration, bare holes are made on apposite sides in each intemode and/or the solid nodal wall is punctured with a long stick.

Recently, a Vertical Soak and Diffusion Process (VDS) has been further developed by the EBF, Bali. Freshly harvested culms are vertically stacked in a basin and all nodal walls are fractured, except the lowest one.

The inner part of the culm is then used as reservoir for the treatment solution and filled up for about two weeks after which the lower node is al so ruptured to release the solution into a basin.

Through diffusion of the preservative , especially the inner culm should be protected which is most nutritious and thus mainly affected by beetle damage. However, this inner wall is covered by a special cell layer of suberized cells. Furthermore, there are structural differences between species and possible changes during ageing, so that more knowledge is needed before this apparently convenient method can be generally recommended.

Of special importance is the classical sap-replacement method which allows a complete penetration of the culms by boric salts with a clean surface and a possible re-use of the preservative. Once developed for spruce stems by A. Boucherie the method was modified for bamboo by Dr. Purushotham, Dehra Dun, India (1954). It has been further improved by FUNBAMBU in Costa Rica, by EBF on Bali and is employed in many other countries. If properly used it is a most reliable and environmental friendly preservation method.
The pressure treatment of bamboo provides the best protection, but it is rarely applied, except, for example, for waterfront structures. The technical installations and special handling make it costly and often not financially viable. For culms, the inner void, the lacuna has to be opened to avoid cracks and splitting. Split bamboo obtains a high absorption and penetration and may be useful for special applications. Creosote and CCA - or CCB salt types are the main preservatives. The environmental side-effects could be considerable.

Alongside bamboo culms (either round or split) semi -finished and finished products, such as baskets and furniture, may also require protection. especially against moulds and beetles. This causes special care for selecting a suitable preservative since often these products come into contact with food or human beings.
A chemical pre-processing is rarely applied. like for furniture by the sap-repiacement. For slivers and handicrafts a simple dipping or brushing with boron preservatives or natural toxicants (as in Thailiand) are common.

Painting with industrial lacquers contributes to water-resistance protection.

Quality control:  Quality control is an essential component of bamboo preservation, albeit much neglected. It is concerned with the quality of the bamboo to be treated, the choice of preservative and its concentration, the required up-take of preservative solution and its sufficient distribution within the culm tissue. The treating equipment has to be regularly inspected. Treatment records should ensure the consumer about the quality of the product.

Health and environmental concerns:  The use of preservatives for bamboo and the handling of treated products pose potential risks to humans, animals and the environment. Required precautions are often neglected. Visits to treatment installations and factories have often shown an alarming negligence of the most basic and urgent precautions.

The same lack of concern exists in regard to the environmental consequences of bamboo preservation. Although regulations may exists at varying degree, they are often hardly known or considered.
Dangers arise from preservatives lost during preparations, during treatment, cleaning of equipment and disposal of residues in form of treatment solutions, cut-offs from treated material, sludge from the treatment plant and the disposal of remaining treatment solution. General dumping sites can only bear a limited amount of poisoned bamboo. Approved waste disposal sites are hardly available or unknown.

Since bamboo is treated mostly in rural areas and outside cities in simple installations and by workers without the required technical skills, the danger of environmental damage is considerable. Strict regulations have to be applied wherever bamboo is chemically treated. Consequently, the chemical preservation of bamboo should only be done at sites where the required skill, experience and control is given.

Marketing: Marketing of treated bamboo is a key factor for continuous demand and essential for the success of treatment installations. Marketing however is rather poorly developed. Most factories treat on demand so that stock -keeping does not exists. This influences the work performance at the factories as well as the generaI awareness about the availability of a quality product. Supply and demand will have considerable impact on the economics of bamboo preservation.

Economics: Economics is a major component by the consumer for the choice of bamboo preservation, since bamboo is still a low cost material compared to timber and other commodities. Preservation cost may considerably exceed the basic costs of bamboo, when long service life is required with high retention by a reliable treatment process. The desirable life of the product has to be compared with the expected life-span if untreated. For short term applications, the exchange of degraded parts is common and may be more economical. Often the initial costs for installing treatment facilities become a dominant factor. Experience with sap-replacement treatment resulted in additional costs of 20% ~ 50% ; for bamboo poles about 20% and about 15% for mats. There is an urgent need for thorough calculations of the various treatment possibilities to increase the demand for value-added bamboo products.

References:
1.     Environmental Bamboo Foundation. Training manual for bamboo preservation using the Boacheri System. EBF
Ubud, Bali, 24 , 1994
2.     Cusack, V. Bamboo World. The Growing and Use of Culmping Bamboo Kangoroo Press, 224
3.     FRI Village Bamboo Preservation Unit. Forest Research Institute, Dahra-Dun, India INBAR - ToTom, 2001, 17

mga kuyang,

nagpakatay din ako last dec. 24 ng isa dahil mahigit 100 kilos na, so far naubos din and although karamihan ay utang ok lang naman dahil nagbabayad naman when payday comes. maganda kita pag ikaw na mismo magkakatay kung ikukumpara mo sa byahero/liveweight kung di break even ay talo ka pa minsan.

maganda yung plano ni kuyang tony na mag alaga ng kakatayin continuously...umpisahan ko din siguro sa palima lima lang para meron isa kakatayin every week.

kuyang duckduck,
nag copy na ako ng DBS type sa pick na padala mo para my backup diin ako at ma post pag wala wala ulit ang treand na ito.
ang gamda ay sana yan diin mapagawa ko sa future ng mini piggery ko.

40 (edited by duckduck Dec 26 2011 14:27:10)

@3m's, tama ginawa mo, Kuyang.  Ako nga buti na lang may kopya halos ng karamihan sa pics na posted ko sa nawalang thread.  Kaya unti unti ay nailagay ko uli dito sa bagong thread. 

Tungkol naman sa sukat ng piggery housing mo, sundin mo lang ang requirement na 1.5meters per head ang area ng pen.  Mas mabuti na gumawa ka ng 5 na maliliit ng P.I.G.S. housing na na magkakatabi na ang sukat ay tama lang sa 5 baboy bawat housing or say...2 meters wide by 3 meters long (rectangle). This way ay puede mong lagyan ng 5 baboy bawat P.I.G.S. housing for a maximum of 25 pigs sa 5 housing na iba iba ang edad say 1 month interval.  Puede ka pang magbenta ng letsonin.  Habang kinakatay mo naman ang naunang 5 ay unti unti naman na lumalaki ang iba.  Sa tuwing maubos mong katayin ang laman ng first P.I.G.S. pen ay linisan agad na mabuti at LAGYAN AGAD ng panibagong 5 piglets.  By the time na umabot ka ng pagkatay sa 5th P.I.G.S. ay nasa tamang edad na naman ang nasa 1st pen mo. Paikot ikot na lang yan at lingo lingo puede kang magkatay ng isang baboy.

Kung kaya mong magkatay ng 2 baboy per week ay doblehin mo ang sukat ng P.I.G.S. pens mo para maglaman ng 10 pigs instead of 5 pigs only.

@ tholitz, Wag mo kalimutan maglagay ng freezer sa farm or sa lugar ng pinakakatayan mo, para kung may sobra sa fresh meat ay may mapaglagyan ka.  Bago mo ilagay sa freezer ay tadtarin mo na ng kilo kilo at lagay sa durable plastic para presentable pag may bumili ng frozen meat.  We are now developing customers that buy frozen meat.  Some of these customers ay yong nagtitinda ng mga lutong ulam, carenderia. mga kapitbahay at mga nagtitinda ng BBQ.