1

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Ibig po bang sabihin nito ay lahat ng forest plant species maliban sa forest trees.

Salamat moderator.

2

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Hi Anda,

The Minor Forest Plants Commodity covers a wide range of nonwood/nontimber forest plants (NWFP) and by -products. NWFPs are sources of varied raw materials such as fiber, fuel, resin, dye, cordage, thatch, and medicines that are demanded by a number of forest-based industries. Most of these are gathered from the forest (and often thought of as a good substitute to wood), although many plants are already domesticated.

Below are selected NWFP in which their production is being monitored and regulated by the DENR:

Almaciga (Almaciga philippinensis)
Anahaw (Livistonia rotundifolia)
Buri (Corypha elata)
Elemi 9Canarium spp.)
Hinggiw (Ichnocarpus frutescens) (a vine)
Nipa (Nipa fruticans)
Diliman (vine) (Stenochlaena palustris)
Salago (Wikstroemia spp)
Bamboo (various spp.)
Rattan (various spp.)

3

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Nimfa,

Do you have any idea where I could get a Kuliat plant or vine?

Philippine Agriculture Blog - www.agriculture.ph

4

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

agri_center wrote:

Nimfa,

Do you have any idea where I could get a Kuliat plant or vine?


Agri Center,

Do you know the scientific name of this vine? FPRDI conducted a survey of existing vines in the Philippines. They may know the geographical distribution of this vine species.

5

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Nimfa,

Common name: Kuliat or Culiat
Scientific Name: Gnetum Latifolium
Relative: Bago - Gnetum Gnemon

Actually Angeles City was formerly named after Kuliat because it was said that these plants thrived here before.  Iam not sure if they are vines or trees but Iam looking for planting materials for conservation our city heritage.

Philippine Agriculture Blog - www.agriculture.ph

6

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

agri_center wrote:

Nimfa,

Common name: Kuliat or Culiat
Scientific Name: Gnetum Latifolium
Relative: Bago - Gnetum Gnemon

Actually Angeles City was formerly named after Kuliat because it was said that these plants thrived here before.  Iam not sure if they are vines or trees but Iam looking for planting materials for conservation our city heritage.


Agricenter,

Gnetum latifolium is a "Liana" - a woody climber that starts at ground level and uses tree to climb up to the canopy where it spreads from tree to tree to get as much light as possible. .... We dont have any documented info. where we could find them here in the Phil.

Bago (Gnetum gnemon) on the other hand is a small to medium in size tree reaching a height of 10 to 15 m and a diameter up to 40 cm. It thrives in dry and humid areas on secondary and primary forests at low and medium altitude (0 to 1,200 m asl)

The species could either be propagated by seed or by asexual means such as layering, grafting, cutting or budding.

In budding and grafting, mature, non-petioled bud woods are used. The buds are cut 3.5 to 4 cm longfor budding.

Source: RISE Vol 13 No.2 May-August 2001, ERDB Publication.

Its distribution in the Philippines is recorded in  Ilocos Norte, Bataan, Quezon, Laguna, Batangas, Mindoro, palawan, Sibuyan , Camarines Provinces, Panay, Samar, Leyte, Mindanao  and Bukas Grande Siargao.

7

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Nimfa,

Thank you for the information! If you know any source of planting materials, please paki e-mail at agri_center@yahoo.com

Philippine Agriculture Blog - www.agriculture.ph

8

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

nimfa wrote:

Hi Anda,

The Minor Forest Plants Commodity covers a wide range of nonwood/nontimber forest plants (NWFP) and by -products. NWFPs are sources of varied raw materials such as fiber, fuel, resin, dye, cordage, thatch, and medicines that are demanded by a number of forest-based industries. Most of these are gathered from the forest (and often thought of as a good substitute to wood), although many plants are already domesticated.

Below are selected NWFP in which their production is being monitored and regulated by the DENR:

Almaciga (Almaciga philippinensis)
Anahaw (Livistonia rotundifolia)
Buri (Corypha elata)
Elemi 9Canarium spp.)
Hinggiw (Ichnocarpus frutescens) (a vine)
Nipa (Nipa fruticans)
Diliman (vine) (Stenochlaena palustris)
Salago (Wikstroemia spp)
Bamboo (various spp.)
Rattan (various spp.)

Thank you Nimfa for your clear explanation. I was wondering then whether NWFP would include orchids and mushrooms, which are being collected on a more or less regular basis.

9

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

anda wrote:

nimfa wrote:

Hi Anda,

The Minor Forest Plants Commodity covers a wide range of nonwood/nontimber forest plants (NWFP) and by -products. NWFPs are sources of varied raw materials such as fiber, fuel, resin, dye, cordage, thatch, and medicines that are demanded by a number of forest-based industries. Most of these are gathered from the forest (and often thought of as a good substitute to wood), although many plants are already domesticated.

Below are selected NWFP in which their production is being monitored and regulated by the DENR:

Almaciga (Almaciga philippinensis)
Anahaw (Livistonia rotundifolia)
Buri (Corypha elata)
Elemi 9Canarium spp.)
Hinggiw (Ichnocarpus frutescens) (a vine)
Nipa (Nipa fruticans)
Diliman (vine) (Stenochlaena palustris)
Salago (Wikstroemia spp)
Bamboo (various spp.)
Rattan (various spp.)

Thank you Nimfa for your clear explanation. I was wondering then whether NWFP would include orchids and mushrooms, which are being collected on a more or less regular basis.


Anda,

Yes NWFP or NTFP (Non-Timber Forest Plants) would include the wide orchids and wild mushrooms found in the forests.  Herbal plants found in the forests (like tsaang gubat)  are also classified as NWFP.

10

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Many thanks Nimfa. This is getting interesting. It appears we have a number of MFP which the public is not really aware of.  The list that you posted, which is being regulated by the DENR, seems to be just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. Is there a comprehensive catalog of MFP that we can refer to?

11

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

anda wrote:

Many thanks Nimfa. This is getting interesting. It appears we have a number of MFP which the public is not really aware of.  The list that you posted, which is being regulated by the DENR, seems to be just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. Is there a comprehensive catalog of MFP that we can refer to?

Hi Anda,

As far as I know, we dont have a "comprehensive catalog" (which lists and describes each MFP/NTFP) of MFP . However, we have some publications (published by different entities too) which list down these species (by group...e.g. Vines; selected raw materials used by the handicraft sector (mostly MFP).

Here in PCARRD, we have an old publication (out of print now, but we have a copy in the office for room use only) on profile of selected non-timber forest products.

DTI has also a somewhat related publication on Philippine raw materials catalogue (wearables, gifts and holiday decor).

There are also separate publications on bamboo and rattan and medicinal plants (published by various agencies too)....

If you are really that interested on the various NTFP, you may search for this in the website of FAO. I think they have a lot of publication related to NTFP.

12

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Thank you Nimfa for these valuable information on NTFP.

Recently, the DENR published DENR DAO No. 2007 dated January 22, 2007, entitled 'Estalishing the National List of Threatened Philippine Plants and the Categories, and the List of other Wildlife Species'. This DAO restricts the collection of listed plants and their derivatives to scientific and propagation purpose only. It seems this will adversely affect the use of some MFP, particularly orchids and palm. I wonder what is the position of PCARRD in this matter.

13

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

anda wrote:

Thank you Nimfa for these valuable information on NTFP.

Recently, the DENR published DENR DAO No. 2007 dated January 22, 2007, entitled 'Estalishing the National List of Threatened Philippine Plants and the Categories, and the List of other Wildlife Species'. This DAO restricts the collection of listed plants and their derivatives to scientific and propagation purpose only. It seems this will adversely affect the use of some MFP, particularly orchids and palm. I wonder what is the position of PCARRD in this matter.

Hi Anda,

Yes it will affect the use of some NTFP, but we need  to support this
DAO to protect, conserve and prevent further extinction of the identified threatened
non-timber forest species. The purpose of this is  is to protect and recover imperiled  species and the ecosystems upon which they depend. This may be hard for us for now ,but in the long run it will all benefit us.

14

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Sir, I am interested to plant Almaciga(Almaciga philippinensis) Saan po ba makakabili ng planting materials or seeds?  pag meron po kayo alam, Pls. send me e-mail, jjmmanimtim@yahoo.com

15

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

almaciga planting materials are hard to find as these species are really few. there are very few DENR forest nurseries that raise these species but not occassionally. if you will tell me where you intend to plant almaciga, then i may be able to give a possible source.

godspeed on your intention to plant these threatened species!

16

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Sir, Thankyou very very much po sa information. I was really trying hard to find this species. Sir sa Tanay Rizal po ang location ng farm na gusto ko taniman ng Almaciga. Salamat po uli

17

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Ok. The nearest place I can think of where you can source almaciga seeds is in UPLB College of Forestry and Natural Resources sa Los Banos, Laguna. Some PCCARD staff can also help you where to look at.

I will also ask in other places if there are still available seeds.

18

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Thank you po!!Sa information. In a few days uuwi na ako, then I will go to Los banos, Any paricular person  to see? Maraming maraming salamat po. sakalai maitatanim ko na yon, tamang tama dahil rainy season.

Thanks po muli,, MABUHAY PO KAYO...

19

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

sa UPLBCFNR, o sa may botanical garden, you may ask dr. robie cereno, who is my classmate, baka meron siyang alam na pwedeng pagkunan.

20

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Sir, I am interested to plant Almaciga(Almaciga philippinensis) Saan po ba makakabili ng planting materials or seeds?  pag meron po kayo alam, Pls. send me e-mail, jjmmanimtim@yahoo.com
===

Mr. James, bakit po kayo interested to plant almaciga? baka lang po makapagtulungan tayo. Thanks.

21

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

hello,
  what minor forest  plants can be planted under mahogany?

annie

22

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

hi,

paano po minamarket ang neem tree?

23

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

nimfa wrote:

anda wrote:

nimfa wrote:

Hi Anda,

The Minor Forest Plants Commodity covers a wide range of nonwood/nontimber forest plants (NWFP) and by -products. NWFPs are sources of varied raw materials such as fiber, fuel, resin, dye, cordage, thatch, and medicines that are demanded by a number of forest-based industries. Most of these are gathered from the forest (and often thought of as a good substitute to wood), although many plants are already domesticated.

Below are selected NWFP in which their production is being monitored and regulated by the DENR:

Almaciga (Almaciga philippinensis)
Anahaw (Livistonia rotundifolia)
Buri (Corypha elata)
Elemi 9Canarium spp.)
Hinggiw (Ichnocarpus frutescens) (a vine)
Nipa (Nipa fruticans)
Diliman (vine) (Stenochlaena palustris)
Salago (Wikstroemia spp)
Bamboo (various spp.)
Rattan (various spp.)

Thank you Nimfa for your clear explanation. I was wondering then whether NWFP would include orchids and mushrooms, which are being collected on a more or less regular basis.


Anda,

Yes NWFP or NTFP (Non-Timber Forest Plants) would include the wide orchids and wild mushrooms found in the forests.  Herbal plants found in the forests (like tsaang gubat)  are also classified as NWFP.


thx for the NTFP ...


hilarious quotes

24

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Dear to all

Espescially to nimfa

If you recommend what would be the best herbal plants to plant in the garden and what is it uses for?And other applications?Its method to make a medicine for household, may i know the steps?If you know about that?
Can you name them all?To know also if i have some of it in my places?
I know in my area one is helbas a bisaya dialect here in leyte thats good for external pain bodies.

Regards,

Planters009

25

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

planters009 wrote:

Dear to all

Espescially to nimfa

If you recommend what would be the best herbal plants to plant in the garden and what is it uses for?And other applications?Its method to make a medicine for household, may i know the steps?If you know about that?
Can you name them all?To know also if i have some of it in my places?
I know in my area one is helbas a bisaya dialect here in leyte thats good for external pain bodies.

Regards,

Planters009

While waiting for replies from other PCARRD Message Board members, you can check the list of medicinal plants at

http://stuartxchange.com/CompleteList.html

http://knol.google.com/k/philippine-medicinal-plants#

"Let justice roll down like waters
and righteousness like an everlasting stream".
Amos

26 (edited by papito Jan 28 2010 22:56:10)

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

nimfa wrote:

agri_center wrote:

Nimfa,

Common name: Kuliat or Culiat
Scientific Name: Gnetum Latifolium
Relative: Bago - Gnetum Gnemon

Actually Angeles City was formerly named after Kuliat because it was said that these plants thrived here before.  Iam not sure if they are vines or trees but Iam looking for planting materials for conservation our city heritage.


Agricenter,

Gnetum latifolium is a "Liana" - a woody climber that starts at ground level and uses tree to climb up to the canopy where it spreads from tree to tree to get as much light as possible. .... We dont have any documented info. where we could find them here in the Phil.

Bago (Gnetum gnemon) on the other hand is a small to medium in size tree reaching a height of 10 to 15 m and a diameter up to 40 cm. It thrives in dry and humid areas on secondary and primary forests at low and medium altitude (0 to 1,200 m asl)

The species could either be propagated by seed or by asexual means such as layering, grafting, cutting or budding.

In budding and grafting, mature, non-petioled bud woods are used. The buds are cut 3.5 to 4 cm longfor budding.

Source: RISE Vol 13 No.2 May-August 2001, ERDB Publication.

Its distribution in the Philippines is recorded in  Ilocos Norte, Bataan, Quezon, Laguna, Batangas, Mindoro, palawan, Sibuyan , Camarines Provinces, Panay, Samar, Leyte, Mindanao  and Bukas Grande Siargao.

Interesting read about Gnetum  can be found at Plant Discoveries Sherwin Calquist.  See link below for detail.
http://www.sherwincarlquist.com/gnetales.html

See also The Philippine Journal of Science Volume 1, Issues 1-5 at
Gnetum latifolium is a "Liana"

"Let justice roll down like waters
and righteousness like an everlasting stream".
Amos

27

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

To papito

I need the method only on making herbs from medicine.

It is better to honor a good man in life than to worship him after he is dead

                                                                          Dr.Jose Rizal

28 (edited by papito Feb 11 2010 03:11:39)

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

planters009 wrote:

To papito

I need the method only on making herbs from medicine.

It is better to honor a good man in life than to worship him after he is dead

                                                                          Dr.Jose Rizal

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
planters009,
 
You will find some information about preparing herbs at the links below.   

WARNING: The information is primarily for reference and education. It is not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a physician. We do not recommend self-medication. Gardeners should be aware that any plant substance, whether used as food or medicine, externally or internally, may cause an allergic reaction in some people. Exercise caution and do the necessary research to separate the legitimate from the suspect information about herbal remedies. If in doubt about using a particular herbal product, don’t try it. If you use any information contained on this web page, you do so at your own risk.


The PCARRD Message Board, it's Administrators, Moderators and member posting these links will/shall  not be held liable for any and all  injuries resulting from use of info here.

Always consult your doctor or physician for any medical advise.


How to prepare Herbs for Medicinal Purposes.

Detailed information/instructions at the links below

http://www.peacefulharmony.org/therapies/herbalpreparations.htm

http://www.greenherbcafe.com/Articles.asp?ID=108

http://www.amagickgarden.com/pages/amgpages/amgprepvit.html

"Let justice roll down like waters
and righteousness like an everlasting stream".
Amos

29 (edited by planters009 Feb 11 2010 19:15:57)

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

To papito

Well, sir i really appreciate these things about the hazards that it can cause also to us.
But the webs you have posted have only limited info's and it is really concerning to all the users.Looks like ithe webs you proposed are horror or a quack doctors doings 'hehehe,joke.
I really observed on your sayings that you have  just quickly change it.hahahaha!!!!!

Thanks,

Planters009

''Travel is a caprice in childhood,a passion in youth,a necessity in manhood and an elegy in old age''

                                                                 Dr.Jose Rizal

30

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

jamesluke,

    Is almaciga and sahing tree are the same?Ang almaciga kasi sa amin eh tinatawag din na sahing. Meron ako pwede makuhanan ng pananim na ganun kaya lang medyo mahal cguro kasi mahirap na makakuha ng ganun klase na kahoy subukan ko magpahanap ng pananim na ganun ilan ba ang kelangan mo kung sakali??
     Tanong lang po bakit po almaciga ang napili nyo itanim??meron po ba market ang almaciga tree......Maliban po sa lumber meron po ba iba gamit ang puno na ito?Alam ko pwede gamitin pang-apoy ang dagta nito pg pinatuyo and mukha sya crystal....un na nga po ba yung almaciga na hinahanap nyo??

31

Re: Ano-ano po ba ang minor forest plants?

Did you know?

That more than 105,000 sq km of forest are being destroyed ever year.This is an area larger than Ireland and Wales together.

That forest, especially tropical rainforests, contain a huge variety of plant and animal species.If the forest are cut down at the present rate,around half the world's remaining rainforest will have vanished by the year 2010,with the loss of 5-10 per cent of all the species on Earth.

___________________________________________________________________________________
"You must shatter the vase to spread its perfume, and smite the rock to get the spark." Jose Rizal ...

Planters009